Notes on the Pre-Beta Stream

the stream in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZwXpAdkrI

just taking down some notes from the stream for others to easily find w/o wautching the entire stream. most of the info here are replies from questions by stream viewers.

GAMEPLAY

• weapons will have different conditions
    (eg: exceptionable, worn)
    this will affect the way the weapon performs and even looks from body wear & rust to muzzle flash quality
  • the entire map will be playable/accessable from day 1 of the game launch
  • bullet travel time and drop will be present but not bullet penetration
    (the bullet drop will be more realistic+less noticeable in comparison to other games)
  • there will be destructable objects to aid in your combat against the machines
    (such as power substations [seen in the trailer] and cars, the latter being relatively hard to destroy with mid powered weapons)
    (you can still loot cars after they are blown up)
  • clothing you find will not be cosmetic, and will alter your player stats in some way
    (eg. movement speed and jump boost for shoes)
  • there is more to the game after the story is complete
  • there will be NO pay-to-win aspects of the game, although there may be some DLC elements in the future
  • there will be “weapon storage sheds” scattered around the map, based on real life buildings in 1980s sweden, containing weapons and other “cool stuff”
  • weather will be entirely dynamic, and will actually affect the machines’ senses in different ways (eg. rain will muffle sound)
  • there MAY be weapon skins in the future, but definitely not in the base game
  • armor plating on robotic enemies serve a real purpose than cosmetics, and you will need to remove the armor in order to reach the machines’ more important components
  • difficulty/enemies are not scaled based on no. of players, but rather by region of the map
  • disabling certain components on the machines will affect them accordingly
    (eg. disabling sight organs will blind them)
  • there will be easter eggs!
  • cars will not be drivable in the base game, but could become a possibility later on
  • the game will not feature hostile animals
  • upon death, you will respawn at a “safe house” (which you can find around the map), but in cooperative gameplay you are able to be revived by your friends, there are also items you can find in solo that lets you self-revive – you will not lose any of your stuff on death
  • there is a stash system ingame that you can use to switch items/weapons between your individual players characters
  • diferent ammo types for specific calibers will be present
    (eg. birdshot/buckshot 12.ga, FMJ+hollowpoint)
  • there will be lots of swedish text ingame on signs etc. but english subs will be displayed
    (also lots of swedish voiceovers from things like voicemails)
  • enemies will not dynamically adapt to your playstyle and weaponry, but they will still have general enemy AI (reason being that these are machines built in the 1980)
  • yes, motion blur can be turned off! (thank god)
  • there will be online matchmaking to find coop players
  • there will be no splitscreen at all
  • there is a health bar
  • there are no skills that focus on specific weapons, but there will be specific weapon attachments for different weapon types
  • you will not be able to swim in-game
  • your player character will not need to drink or eat to survive

TECHNICAL

• modding will NOT be supported
  • player character data will be synced ferom single-player to multiplayer and vice versa
  • the game is running on the Apex Engine, an in-house game engine that Avalanche Studios have developed
  • this game does not feature raytracing
  • crossplay between PS4/XBOX will NOT be a feature
  • there is a very little chance of DLSS support
  • a lot of the UI is placeholder, including mission text and skill trees
  • PvP is not a focus of the development team and will not be present in the base game
  • there may or may not be 21:9 support, but it’s very likely as one dev uses a 21:9 monitor to develop on the game
  • there are about 30 people working on the team that develops Generation Zero
  • the rating for the game will not be lower than T for Teen

BETA

• there will be 100,000 keys given away during the closed beta week, give or take
  • the beta will feature less enemies than the complete game
    (if i recall correctly, only three or four types)
  • beta will only feature online cooperative gameplay, no solo offline singleplayer

OTHER

• the game’s name (Generation Zero) is somehow related to the game’s storyline
  • that QA guy is having pizza for dinner

thanks for reading, any devs reading this can correct me if i am wrong, and for everyone else please do share anything i’ve missed or misheard (i’m not native to english and the stream mic is kind of hard to pick up after the third guy comes on)

EDIT: turns out that @ProntoManagement has created a google document that outlines the QA questions asked on the pre-beta stream, similarly to my write-up. for further information you should check it out here: Questions & Answers Document

6 Likes

Great job, what a legend!

1 Like

oh, damn, i was browsing around and i found a document that you must’ve wrote up before i did about the pre-beta stream as well. i think i might have just used up most of my time writing the same things you did

whoops

All good mine was more common questions I anticipated and I answered those. However yours goes into everything.

Nice! thanks!! :facepunch:t3:

Excellent “To Long Didn’t Watch” of our Stream, good job! :wink:

I’m glad to hear that 21:9 / ultrawide is not a completely overlooked thing. I did miss out on the closed beta, but I’ll stick around to try and promote support for ultrawide further. ^^