Please add a new machine - a bigger one!

Yes I agree but not everybody wants to play co-op

1 Like

With a 4 man team that actually know what theyā€™re doing with everyone specialized properly, the whole game is actually exceedingly easy. The issue here is that nothing scales based on the number of people playing, so things get balanced based on a compromise between solo being playable at all (and itā€™s still isnā€™t consistently for new players) and co-op having at least a little challenge.

1 Like

Even in solo if you have good weapons tanks are fairly easy. They are slow and because of that more or less static. A pack of Hunters are more trouble in my opinion.

2 Likes

Imagine a Tank as fast as a Hunter though - Then youā€™d be in trouble.

Another big machine wouldnā€™t make tactical sense, was my initial thought. Then I wondered, what if itā€™s huge out of necessity? More like a walking howitzer, SAM launcher, or even a ballistic missile platform. There are JAS 37 fighter jet wrecks all over the map, but whatā€™s shooting them down? None of the current machines Iā€™ve encountered seem to have surface-to-air capabilities.

Unlike the other big bois, an absolute unit like this that also fires big boi projectiles canā€™t have unlimited ammo. Not only would it be fairly immersion shattering, but it would also give the player a fighting chance. It would be orbited by additional machines similar to the harvester and its entourage, but with the front-line defense additionally joined by supply machines.

There are many possible variants and configurations of ultra-heavy weapon platform machines I can think of; how they would interact with the world, etc. Iā€™ll stick to the ballistic missile variant in this post though to keep it from getting even longer than it already is.

I imagine something like this but as an autonomous machine:

They almost need to be exceedingly rare (perhaps 2-4 on the entire map) but this could be compensated with a ridiculous detection range, making it a constant looming threat. Thereā€™s got to be a reasonable way to kill it obviously, so one idea is that youā€™d have to either wait to attack until the supply machines have started to replace an empty missile battery, or take out the supply machines first. Since this big boi needs to stand somewhat still while being reloaded, you would have a chance to inflict some damage. This would still leave you vulnerable to secondary fire and attacks from its defense machines.

I got the idea from the bearded Kiwi community manager when he hosted a GZ stream, where he said something about wanting some kind of symbiotic co-operation among machines in the future.

Also, should motor vehicles ever be implemented in GZ, this would be a formidable way to keep you on your toes.

4 Likes

I would think something that can worsted than hunters and faster then them as well. They seem to be the ones that are the BS of the game then tanks. Something for tanks tho a machine that shots rocket launches are you as it main weapon.

1 Like

Welcome kuroo! Like i previously wrote, i wolud also like something like that. A faster machine on tracks with really annoyingly good weapons. Not unbeatable though. :sweat_smile:

Donā€™t have time to read it all xD

Submarines that crop up and shoot inland, stationary monsters with 360 viewports, and flying saucers.

I just want a blanket that blocks my infrared signal so I can hide easier from the saucers.

Yeah iā€™d like to see a much larger robot than the tank. One that would be way harder, and take way longer to take down, but with less weapons than the tank. Maybe more along the lines of a harvesters attack ability.

It should be quite/very rare to see, probably not fast moving, but always surrounded by other robots - probably all of them except for the harvester.

Not sure if there would be a way to program it or not, but the reward for destroying one should be maybe a collectible gun (special guns could be added to the game in the collectibles section) and a bit more loot than normal maybe.

I mean, there are already some pretty intense battles you end up in sometimes, but seeing a large group of robots (ā€˜dogsā€™, seekers, hunters and tanks) walking with/protecting a mega robot would be enticing for anyone, and with the persistent simulation of robots feature working correctly, it could be a fight that you choose to have multiple attempts at, to eventually whittle down the smaller robots in order to get the loot from the big one.

Itā€™s about the only suggestion i have for a new robot.

2 Likes

How about one that recycles and revives other machines? meaning you have to take it down as quickly as possible or it will bring back the machines youā€™ve already destroyed. That can add a new dimension to the tactical choices we already make.

2 Likes

Loving some of the ideas. But seeing another large different mech seems a bit unbalanced. But if they added some more smaller. Hereā€™s what I thought be a trip. Ever watch ā€œScreamersā€ originally before evolving into more these robots were kinda small like a tick but could bore through the ground. Or terminator 4 the lake robots. Drones with guns. If they did another drone Iā€™d love to see the 1980s terminators view of the large flying drone ship. Maybe with a twist they could drop off other bots. And or grab the harvesters harvest. I still want to scalp a hunter into a make shift exo and run around like those guys in the Matrix 3.

1 Like

Wouldā€™nt it be a much better idea to get the current set of machines and their animations, AI and world behaviour (pathfinding) fixed and based on that, add a few new small and medium machines?

The big ones really have the most issues traversing this game world, sliding around, getting stuck in forests and on all kinds of objects.
The smaller and medium ones seem to have less of an issue with this.

Iā€™d like to see more big machines too, but I do want them all to work properly first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that adding another larger, extremely difficult machine would be cool. Itā€™d be a sort of uber unit, a legendary boss that occupies a part of the map, not leaving the area. The player could come in and battle it whenever they want, and itā€™d keep its wounds. If the player is strong enough and tries enough, they can keep coming back until they eventually destroy it, and earn some rare loot. Thatā€™s be pretty cool, and something new and different from constantly battling the same robots. Itā€™d be another end-goal, in a way. Maybe something like this.

Still, as cool as it would be, I think it should be one of the last things to be implemented. Things like the current AI and basic game functions should be the first focus.

2 Likes

220px-Mechagodzilla_original_Showa_version

Would this be big enough?

5 Likes

I say again - i think a motorised tank (military not gen zero) size enemy with some speed and firepower would be a real game changer, especially if it turns up when youā€™re already doing combat with the other type of robots.

In my opinion tanks are EEASY but the thing is it takes a bunch of ammo to deal with them and that makes people think there hard. Also if you know the bihavior of the tank well it makes them easier to deal with. I also would like to see a colosal machine in the game.

2 Likes

Well, I like big machines as much as the guy next door, but would it really make sense? Iā€™m nothing like a military strategist, but wasnā€™t must of the big machines back in the eighties mostly carriers for intercontinental ballistic missiles and not actual fighters? Please comment, you guys with military background.

I would rather have a mission in a complex, where the complex itself was the machine. Like guns embedded into the walls, doors that could be shut on your path forcing you to seek alternative ways to progress, trip mines, trap doors. etc. That would require planning of your progress, and also allow for some good scares while you work your way towards your goal. I really donā€™t like jump-scares unless they makes sense, but I suppose that some fine surprises could be added this way.

2 Likes

Well im not a military guy but I can try. And yes I do think that in the military really anything larger than a tank would be used for transportation for explosives, ammo, or guns. Although the Germans in world war II made the Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus which was there largest tank and the base of it was taller than a fully grown man. But also I dont think the army went the fast and stealthy type either, but again im no big military guy. Also I just learned that only 2 of that German tank was made and only one of those 2 were completed

1 Like

Put it this way, for any armoured vehicle you have only two chances of survival in a combat envrionment: speed and stealth. ā€œBigā€ works against you on both counts. People have tried super-armour and firepower, but the enemy always find something bigger to hit them with, and the larger they are, the easier they are to hit.

Hunters are pretty big, but quick, and when they take hits and suddenly run away, or to the side they are hard to hit. Also they work in patrol-teams. One on its own is easy meat,

Now, Tanks in the game have the other strategy - strong defensive armour and big firepower, but they are slow to react and, considering the (resource) expense in their manufacture, are very easy to take down. If they worked in teams of three as MBTs do (oh, Main Battle Tanks) they would be very hard to take down. If Tanks had the same AI as Hunters or Runners, they would be a drag!

Having said all that, the mix the enemy have, of infantry (Runners), infantry Heavy Weapons (Hunters) and Area Domination Devices (Tanks), is not bad. They need to work together more, and communicate better, and Iā€™m glad they donā€™t.

But bigger just means slower and easier to hit.

2 Likes