Possible Crash Work Around

That fix is over 5 years old, for a different game, and only for Win7 and Win8. If you’re going to provide fixes for people, please ensure that they work before posting them. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m on Win7x64 and when I open the compatibility options all the “Settings” are greyed out and not selectable. The only two things I can turn on or off are “Run this program in compatibility mode” and “Run this program as an administrator”. Enabling or disabling either of those does not unlock the rest of the settings.

I also am unable to disable DEP via advanced system controls for GenZ because “DEP cannot be disabled for 64-bit applications”. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I disabled the DEP system completely via command line but still got occasional BEX64 crashes in GZ.

I have thousands of games and while some have issues here and there that the developers usually sort out, currently this is the only one that I keep trying to play that sets off driver errors, memory violations, and crashes ubiquitously and seemingly randomly even if I’m just standing there in the game doing nothing. So it’s something the game is doing. Weather changes, machine AI/movement, Rival level progression. I have noticed it crashes less when it’s night time in the game which suggests that the loading and rendering of lighting effects might be involved, but their involvement may only be an increased load on the game’s engine causing an exploit of the faulty code at the root of the whole mess.

We have people unable to play this game on Xbox, PS4 and PC so certain systems and settings may exacerbate the issue but they are not the cause of it. The cause has to be in the software, but since some experience no crashing there is a variable there. If it’s not system configuration, then what would be left that could make it run fine on one and not an another even with the exact same hardware?
Save file… perhaps.
The game autosaves very frequently. Obviously it doesn’t save where you are and what you’ve killed if you’re in the middle of a mission and it crashes, but it’s always saving your experience points, inventory and mission progress. Some error in the save file and saving process itself could be at the heart of this. Wiping your data and starting over might only be temporary in such a case.
I have always found it interesting that I was able to play the free weekend before I bought it without any crashes and it wasn’t until I bought the whole game that it started not working.

2 Likes

By the way, that reddit post about the TdrDelay registry entry - I tried that last year because Ark Survival Evolved was crashing a lot, very much like GZ. No apparent reason, not reproducible by any action, but randomly. Many, many people were stressing over it in online forums and of course there were always the people that come in and say “It runs fine for me get better hardware” or “It runs fine for me so there’s nothing wrong with it”. I spent many hours trying to solve the issue but it just wasn’t possible. Nothing worked.
Eventually about 8 months later, a new nVidia driver and Ark updates had occurred and though nothing had changed on my end (aside from the updated nVidia drivers) the game no longer crashed.
Those of us that have purchased something we can’t use do to faultiness are at the mercy of the Avalanche team to devote the resources necessary to solve it.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I was asking people earlier to try different Nvidia driver versions if they could get their hands on it. Granted it’s not a solution, more like a work around because downgrading to old drivers could cause issues for other games, or software on your PC, and then you’re stuck with “Well I want to play this game today, so I need to clean wipe my drivers and install this older driver so it’s stable”

But I was hoping there was some kind of information like that to where people could make the decision if it was worth the hassle to go through all that or not on their own. At the very least there’d be a possible root cause, and additionally it could be something where the devs could get involved with the 3rd party hardware vendors and hopefully find a permanent solution.

@Zesiir

This is an application made by Wagnard software, the same people who make the Display Driver Uninstaller clean uninstall utility. (Performs the same function as the Reddit post I linked) If you scroll to the bottom of the page you’ll see that it’s compatible with Windows 10 AU. Additionally if you read what I said I didn’t offer it as a fix, I said specifically this may help some crashing issues this is more of a Microsoft tweak than a fix.

There’s also a disclaimer.

Standard users with not a lot of computer skills should stay away.

So using this app, you’d have to do it at your own risk. It’s still not confirmed that the crashes are actually caused by graphics card or windows errors, so it’s worth noting.

I had a bunch of crashes that one day I mentioned it that were listing that nvidia dll as the faulting module. It happened over and over again and I thought “A-HA!” now I’m onto something! But after some tweaking of the driver it went away and I am now back to generationzero_f.exe being the faulting module and have never seen another nvidia-related crash since. Keep in mind that I crash constantly so I’m talking about 30 or 40 crashes since then and no more nvidia faults, and I hadn’t seen them before that day either.

I have gotten some longer playtime in the last two days between crashes and I completely believe it’s because I’ve moved to a different area in the game, away from South Coast and into the next section above it. It really looks to me like whatever the errors are are exacerbated by issues that are more prevalent in certain areas. I think this could be related to lighting, physics, and how the machines are scripted to spawn in certain places. Ft. Torsberga has been the worst by far, and it also has a lot of physics and other graphical glitches. Since crashes usually ultimately result from memory violations… well it isn’t with precedent that physics-gone-wild can create such issues. Something is colliding or intersecting with something it shouldn’t, or sway or spinning infinitely, multiple textures assigned to an object with only space to one, and any number of other things, can cause a program to get stuck in loops that quickly fill up memory and start writing to places the system doesn’t like. There are A LOT of glitches in GZ maps. Missing textures, too many textures on items, holes in the environment, and bizarre physics going out of control, things placed in places they shouldn’t, invisible loot boxes, on and on, and any of these could cause the processor to try to choke on impossible calculations.

@SkEyE

Yeah I totally agree, I’m on the main big island and the new DLC island and I’ve maybe had 3 crashes in days worth of playing so I haven’t been to the area you’ve been in a while. What’s really weird is that I did crash tonight, but Windows Event Viewer is showing me nothing. Before when it would crash I’d always see an accompanying .Net error right before it, and the error was always due to a memory related issue like you said. Which is why I was thinking it could be graphics related, who knows.

Right now the problem that I’m having is that story wise I can’t go any further because I have 2 main missions that refuse to complete. The 1st one is Flying Objects and the 2nd one is the Lost and Found missions which I see that some people on Reddit are having the same issue. Additionally it seems to be an issue across all platforms PC/PS4/Xbox. I think at this point personally that Avalanche should focus on fixing these bugs before putting out more DLC. That’s just me though.

Another thing now is that I’m having issues looting, a lot of bodies that I drop end up either floating off, or sinking through the floor and thus I can’t loot them, that’s not really that annoying per say, but there is a lot of missed ammo and med packs and etc because of it, so it is a little annoying. Someone talked to me a few nights ago about them falling through the floor, it happened to me once but that was it, it isn’t something happening all the time.

Here’s a clip of a floating body, just ignore my bad singing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: the missed loot though :sob: :sob: :sob:
And we’ll all float on okay…