[PS4] Hairpins Used Even When You Have The Key

Platform: PS4 Slim

Steps To Reproduce: I first noticed it when I opened the door to the loadout storage near Grantorp. When I noticed a missing hairpin in the inventory after I opened one of the double stable doors at Glattra, I went and opened the other of the double stable doors for final confirmation.

Images / Videos: N/A

Host or Client: Solo

Players in your game: 1

Hairpins are expended even if the door you open requires a key to unlock.

I couldn’t open it with a hairpin and no key. I think i see the problem here. Instead of having 1 item programed on that door for lockpicking, and one to just open. They probly used the same code for both.

So instead of having the door respond to item code nr 4 as a lockpick and nr 205 as a key. They made them both 205. But as you havent picked up item 205 you can’t use a lockpick to just open the door.

Sort of.

I’m not sure if you have the Lockpicking skill, but just in case you don’t, there are two sorts of doors:

• Doors that can be lockpicked - such as the four door building in front of Vesslan Command Bunker.
  • Doors that require a key - primarily quest doors and the military loadout storages.

Doors that require a key cannot be lockpicked. However, the bug in question (minor though it is), is that even when you unlock a key-locked door with the proper key, a hairpin is removed from your inventory.

But yeah, regarding the coding, I’m guessing it’s a copy/paste remnant.

The original code template was probably developed for doors that could be lockpicked.

The Lockpicking skill probably became a ‘key’ in your inventory. key(4) in your example. As long as it was present and hairpin>0, then the door opened and hairpin–

But when they started coding in doors locked by other keys, such as key(205), the hairpin reduction code must have got left in.

… I don’t think I’ve ever unlocked a quest door with zero hairpins in my backpack. Now I’m curious.

This bug is old, but I didn’t find any topic specific to this issue:

These buildings can be opened with a key - found here:

At this point every locked door on these storage buildings will have prompt to UNLOCK instead of PICK LOCK.
If the lockpicking perk is unlocked and we have lockpicks in inventory one lockpick is removed after unlocking those doors. If we throw lockpicks from inventory before unlocking the door opens with the key.