Pump action shotgun

i realy feel like the pump action shotgun is underpowered, even at close range and with good bullets it does too little damage, does anyone agree with me?

4 Likes

I actually think the shotgun relatively is fine at close range (up to 2-3m)
But at longer ranges it gets too weak. (at least with buckshot, sure birdshot will lose it’s energy pretty fast, couldn’t try slugs just yet)

1 Like

I vastly prefer the pistol over the shotgun. The shotgun just seems to get me killed, since I’m trying to get close to the baddies, but you have to get within kissing distance for it to do any damage.

1 Like

well, the machines are generally armored up front, and if you are using buckshot then you want to strafe them and hit the sides and back where they are not armored: chokers reduce the spread of the shotguns pellets so you can use that to hit medium-long range targets+ focus on weak zones.

birdshot shells are considered to be very underpowered, and i also heard from some other people that it’s a hit or miss (pun intended), so you are better off using slugs or buckshot. slugs are excellent at penetrating armor, but due to their nature, they only fire off one large projectile (like a rifle or a pistol), so aim carefully.

i hope this helps you for the next time you encounter a machine with a shotgun in hand :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

imo when i got the hang of using it, it was not bad, but its not probably the main weapon i’d use on a regular basis.

1 Like

I got the same feeling, with like a magazine of the pistol you can kill a runner,but it takes 2 to 4 shots in a range of 2/4 mt with the pump.

1 Like

yep, this is the exact reason i posted this

1 Like

Here’s the thing… Shotguns use lead projectiles (hell, even slugs are usually pure lead), while the pistol would have full metal jacket or semi jacketed projectiles (as it seems to be a military model).

That means that with the armour that the robots seem to have, most of those lead shots would simply deform on impact and not penetrate much.

It is unfortunate that movies have distorted the view of shotguns so much to the general public.
(And not just painting it out as some sort of wonder weapon when it comes to damage, but also severely short-selling it on range. If you went by the movies, you’d think that a shotgun would blow up a tank if you shot it, but you’d miss the same tank if you were 10 meters away)

2 Likes

I found the shotgun to be very powerful in close quarters with the Runners. It was definitely my preferred weapon for indoor combat and for dealing with Ticks.

2 Likes

I liked the shotgun at first, but it was simply outclassed by the hunting, assault, and recoilless rifles. With limited slots, It’s now just gathering rust in a shack somewhere.

1 Like

I feel like the shotgun needs a buff at range, damage shouldn’t drop off quite so much.

2 Likes

Compared to a buckshot load in real life the shotgun indead feels a bit underpowered.
It’s like Kitty says, chockes will help a bit to get you to do damage at a bit further distance.
In real life the load of a buckshot does not spread that much though, even without choke, at 25 M for example. Bridshot, in-game, I believe is purely for seekers as the in-game description also says that it is used by hunters for fast flying pery. Wouldn’t use birdshot on any other enemy though cause I feel like birdshot is quite useless in the game. Anyway, to come back to my first remark: Buckshot, in real life, consists of lets say 8-10 lead balls of about 9-10 mm diameter and they do massive damage. So yes, this type is underpowered as it is compareble with firing 9 times a soft lead bullet out of a handgun.
I have also tryed the slugs. They are even more underpowered as the Buckshot I believe.
In LAW enforcement, slugs like the Brenneke are used for example to penetrate motorblocks to stop cars. In-game they don’t do that kind of vast damage. However, Kitty is also right here IMO. Enemies like Hunters are strongly armored in the front, so attacking the back and sides does more damage so that is a good strategy. Still I have to agree with SuperAtilla. It is better to use a 9 mm handgun compared to the pumpgun so I agree it’s a bit underpowered.
I’m more of a sniper and I personally have the same issue with a .270 rifle. Even with FMJ ammo (instead of the softtip) I feel like that one is underpowered aswell. It takes multipe shots with a .270 to take down a seekers. They are not that well armoured so this should go faster. Anyway, talking about a .270 rifle instead of the pumpgun here so this is probably for another tread.