Reaper Tips and Advice

The Reaper is very good at sticking close to other rivals I have found and it’s quite annoying having a level 4 tank shooting you take out any rivals nearby first from a distance if you can and don’t make the mistake of ignoring 2 harvesters on the way! We had to fight the reaper with about 40 hunters harassing us

2 Likes

So, playing Solo in skirmish difficulty, after 20 minutes of hide and seek at the Farmlands, I destroyed my 1st Reaper .
Reminds me of those Big Boss battles in games like Metal Gear and Resident Evil Series.

Pvg90 is a must, and at least 20 medkits of any kind.
The Reaper with the Thermobaric attack can destroy any other machine, runners and seekers are instantly destroyed, the others Machines I can at least guarantee they will be damaged.
What I found curious and it might be a bug is that provided the Reaper has at least 4% health, he can kill himself with the Thermobaric attack.
Unlike the normal Tanks, his missiles have a different attack angle, they can reach you even if you are behind buildings, so take that in consideration.
As it´s been said before, the first thing to do is to destroy the shield emitters, then it´s your call what to attack next.
I did not shoot the Machine gun and the Missile Pod, because it might increase the chance to get weapons if they are not destroyed, but that is debatable, you guys should do what you think is better or easier for you.

The Loot was pretty good, ammo, part of the FOA Suit and an experimental weapon.
Not impossible to destroy it Solo, just make sure that is not in an open field.
Happy hunting.

1 Like

Finally I got my first Reaper to spawn after a relative annoying phase of levelling up the marshlands region far beyond 21 because I already had 8 Rivals there. So I levelled it up to 24 what was not really easy due to the lack of the usual machines and hopping from safehouse to safehouse… That was/is a rather meh mechanic and I wouldn’t be too sad if that get changed in the future, maybe e.g. to making the Reaper a 9th Rival, but only one Reaper per Map, or something like that.
At least that would be more convenient than having to level up a suddenly nearly empty region, then killing a Rival hoping to get the Reaper to spawn and not another Rival which in turn lowers your region score again when killing it… I took out a military harvester Rival as it was the lowest class Rival I had there.

My Reaper spawned north of the Stenmyra church so I had enough cover from the beginning, at least I thought so…
Having a bad and obscured view on the reaper behind some bushes/trees and the need to expose myself more than I initially wanted killed me the first time, I took some hits from the incendiary rounds and one of the rocket runners finished me off… lol
After a seemingly endless fight and about 1500 7.62 AP rounds, about 150 .50 AP rounds, some 12G Birdshot from the Exp shotgun and a few HEDP rounds from the M49 (right in his face , I needed that at that moment… ) the Reaper went down in his own final shockwave…

The loot was ok, I nearly got my wasted 7.62 AP rounds back, a good 3000 rounds of 9mm FMJ pistol ammo, a blue police uniform jacket and FOA5 exo gloves.

Thanks to the new crafting system I shredded the 9mm ammo and crafted some .50 AP rounds to fill up again.

On a sidenote: immediately after the Reapers death a new Rival spawned, a FNIX hunter… It had a rather short life… and now I’m trying again to get a Reaper but the second Rival was a FNIX harvester… r.i.p. …
That levelling system is a totally annoying mechanic…

My 2 Ct.

P.S.: so the Reaper is doable in skirmish solo mode

We got our first Reaper at Broskulla with plenty of hiding spots against the thermobaric waves.

The first impression was rather meh… It ran around like a crazy, so it was somehow hard to aim at. We did not manage to destroy the shield emitters, but shooting them looked like disabling the shields for a while. Some good look, but we spent thousands of 7.62mm and got 5000 9mm FMJ :frowning:

So some hits for devs to improve the things:

• if it’s a boss, give it a boss health bar. It was annoyingly long fight without knowing the health status, our characters don’t have skill points in intel skill
  • There is no story about the Reaper - what about traveling to FOA4, have a short fight, then the Reaper submerges into the tunnels (lift) and emerges in FOA2? Or something similar? Just give it a story

Finally, as it seems I was not the only one who lost the save while the Reaper showed up, my wife got better luck, but I had to use an older save.

1 Like

As this is going already -

Anyone noticed that a levelled rival is being destroyed in another region after killing a rival?

Having reports of the Reaper being on a game timer in the same region. For example - kill reaper in Farmlands, at level 22, progressed all the way to level 25, with 7 active rivals…no spawn,

Restarted game ( not through dash crash for a change ) killed 1 seeker then it appeared.

This then led me onto thinking there is an XP threshold for it. So I’m currently rebuilding and will log the XP difference and see if there is a pattern.

Finally, trying to figure out its HP, and it’s value on the XP chart.

I have found there is a significant way to damage the Reaper but requires a few items in the inventory to work. I’m testing this week and will update once I know it’s 100%

2 Likes

Got in my first with The Reaper yesterday, and I even decided to record the battle.
This is on Skirmish difficulty.
Have a look, if you’re interested. :wink:

A few basic tips, if you don’t want to find out for yourself:
Summary

Shoot off his 4 shield generators first, that was kind of obvious. (On shoulders, knees.)
His weapons appear indestructible, but shooting them damages him of course.
There’s only 1 escape from a thermobaric attack. Hide behind a building! You can’t outrun it.
The lower it’s health, the more desperate it becomes. Thermobaric attacks come often, and he also spawns Runners more frequently.

Final bodycount: 1 Reaper, 3 Hunters, 2 Seekers, 6 Ticks and 40 Runners!

Getting The Reaper to spawn was a bit of work. I decided to go for Himfjäll, since my region score there was already 20, with 5 rivals present. Long story short: Some pesky Hunter rivals kept appearing as my 6’th rival, and 4 times I had to blast them, and then get the score back up to 21 or 22 or whatever.
Here’s how my score looked when The Reaper finally appeared:

Short summary: It was really a fun fight! Certainly more challenging than anything so far. :grin:
The Reaper’s AI appears to be the same as a normal Tank, except for the fact that he can charge you at any time in a fight. This AI allows you to make simple uses of terrain in order to defeat Tanks a bit too easily. If these big boys were a bit smarter, they’d at least try to get the high ground on you…

1 Like

Sod doing it on Himfjall,

Also, spawned my 4th reaper 35 minutes after killing my 3rd last night so the 2 hour window idea may be shot.

Farmlands is defiantly the way to go though, fair balance of enemy’s and XP across the whole region. 4 / 5 hotspots as you go NW as confirmed by @0L0, great starting point and work your way south / south east to F23.

3 pieces of the suit so far, was a great battle at F23 last night with Reaper III. Feel free to check the twitch channel for the battle itself.

1 Like

How would you guys compare the Reaper (accuracy, missile speed, etc) to an April 2020 Tank? I’ve been finishing up another game, and I haven’t had a chance to put some good hours into GZ to get a Reaper to appear. So far, I am enjoying what I read about it. :grimacing: I don’t want to watch any of the videos on it so as to not spoil it for myself.

I would say it’s about a bit less than an April Apoc tank in my opinion. It is a great fight Enjoy it!

3 Reapers down playing solo. I died about three times for each one. The rocket runners are the things that get me. 3 parts of the suit which, I assume is just a fashion accessory as I cannot see that it adds any value. Not that impressed with the quality of the loot that has dropped so far.

1 Like

Did you actually kill it or did it suicide? If it suicides you get worse loot

Ahh. Is this when it is so damaged that if it uses the gas explosion weapon it dies as well?

Is that confirmed ? Didn’t hear about that until now ?

It’s confirmed I have tried it during a reaper session I killed 3 reapers, 2 suicides and 1 I kill, the kill gives more loot. Also I think they said it on last week’s stream at some point

Ah Ok, thx.
Well that’s another odd mechanic then, because one has nearly no chance to prevent the Reaper from “committing suicide” with it’s last blast and kill it in advance during that short period of preparation time, I guess.

Well, dung. Soloing on Guerilla makes good loot a moot point?

Just took down the reaper for the first time. It sucked!
First off I play solo and I’m maxed at 31lvl.
Second I set the difficulty down to the easiest setting right after he spawned.

I went into the fight with all armor piercing ammo for my AG5(gold), HP5(Gold), and PVM(Purple). I had over 5000 rounds on me. I don’t have any experimental weapons as they never drop for me.
He spawned in the farmlands near the large airport, and I was able to take out his shield points with my PVM90 from range without issues. Next I lured him to the airport where I used the large hanger closest to the safehouse to run in and out of and around to hit him constantly. I was firing into his MG and rocket pod the entire time from point blank most times and there was not one BLUE spark from hitting a weapon component the whole time. After about 30 minutes and most of the 5000 armor piercing rounds, he committed suicide and I was denied any special loot except for a pair of pants. At no point did he lose either weapon. Point blank, 5000 rounds armor piercing ammo, only aiming at the weapons. Destroyed the tick tank from stray shots but no weapons seemingly damaged. Eventually he just dropped low enough from total damage taken to kill himself. WTF!?

@MarsGodOfWar It’s a special feature with the Reaper. You can’t shoot off his weapons! You can shoot the weapons as long as they spark blue, then you’re damaging him. After that you need to switch where you’re shooting, to another point with blue sparks. Point by point you need to destroy all of his components. The Reaper would be a joke if you could just pick off his weapons like on a normal tank. Also, his final suicide thermobaric is just his last attempt at killing you. You are still the one who killed him!
So no, The Reaper does not suck, you did it wrong… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

1st, any hit anywhere do damage;
2nd, I didn’t see any blue sparks on any tank’s machinegun, yet counts as overall damage and can be shoot off. As said earlier - Reaper is special case and it seems to that MG’s health is higher than entity’s overall health pool.

Allright, you’re probably correct. :slight_smile:
My thought was to at least switch between targeted components, to make the most out of each shot.