Remove D-pad items IMMEDIATELY when they are depleted. (Xbox)

Hello. I’m playing on Xbox Series X, but I assume this happens to all on consoles. Many times, in the heat of battle, I glance at my D-Pad HUD and see an item on there to use, but when I tap on it nothing happens because I am actually out of that item. Not sure why it still shows on there if it’s depleted. I’ve noticed once I move my cursor to another D-Pad area THEN it disappears, but by then that info is way too late. Does this happen to anyone else? So, my feature request is basically what I typed in my title. Please fix it so that item is off my D-pad when quantity = 0, immediately. (Mainly notice it with medkits and grenades as of late.)

Yes, I play on ps4 and it happens to me as well. I believe the reason the devs did it that way was so that if you for instance, picked up a medkit, it would immediately go into your dpad so that you could easily acquire it. A side affect of this is pretty much only confusion.

1 Like

^ Exactly this.

After player requests, this feature was implemented in the November '20 update,
notes: November Update - Patch Notes | Generation Zero.

[Community Report] Item slots will remember your last equipped item, so if you run out of first aid kits and then loot one more, it will automatically be assigned to the same slot.

Oh dear. Well obviously this causes an issue for me or else I wouldn’t have take the time to make a post. If this is true, then why does the icon disappear at all? Something’s not right. But here’s a compromise. Keep the item icon there on the D-pad once depleted, and if I happen to bump into another of the same item while scavenging it will automatically go there. But…make the icon blatantly RED or some other stand out eye-catching color to alert the player out of the corner of their eye that items in that slot are no longer in inventory. In battle, if I see that icon there and tap the d-pad to use it only to find out I’m out, it’s really frustrating. These are little tweaks that don’t infringe on the payers who have no issue, but helps those players who DO have an issue. Win/win.

On PC, once i run out of the consumable on the equipment tab, the slot will be instantly visually empty and remains empty, until i either pick up the same item again, or reassign the slot.

Though, something to try:

Settings → Game → Always show equipment → OFF.

I have it in Off position and it only shows up when i switch item in hand. Look if it fixes your issue.

Since if it does, my guess is that the equipment tab needs a refresh in order for it to display the items correctly. With always visible equipment tab, the refresh happens when you select the slot. But with dynamic equipment tab, the refresh happens when it hides automatically.

1 Like