Repair or rebuild?

Let’s say I have an item (wall or machine gun) that is damaged after a control point defense, but is still standing.

Which one will leave me more resources?
Repair?
Or dismantle and create a new one?

Hard to say. Could depend on how much damage it took. It could even be the same cost at all for repairing and for rebuilding after dismantling it.

You should simply test it, write down the values and compare them. See what it would cost to repair it, then dismantle it, see what you got for dismantling it and then build a new one and substract the refund from the costs and compare it with the repair costs.

Of course I can test it.
I thought to ask here in a forum to tap into the knowledge of the community to avoid reinventing the wheel if it has already been done.

At least I don’t know it.
But that means nothing.

If you tested it and know more about that, please let us know.

You’re kidding. This game is literally overflowing with resources. For your resource stash to be even remotely low enough for repair vs. replace to matter, you must be conducting precious little scavenging. Scavenge more than you currently have been and you’ll find that your question is irrelevant.

1 Like

As it happens, I have multiple walls that are in different states.
One is at exactly half. Another is at almost full. The other two are at a little bit over half and a little bit less than half.
Unfortunately, I don’t have one that is almost empty. But, let’s see what I can get from these.

This is what a brand new one of these walls costs:

First, I created a backup of my save file at this point.

Then, I repaired every one of these 4 and recorded how much the repair costed in each case.
Then, I restored my save file and this time, I dismantled each and recorded what the refund was in each case. In this case, the cost of a new one minus the refund is what it would cost me to dismantle and rebuild.

These were my results, which in summary show the same result meaning it makes no difference if you dismantle and rebuild versus if you repair.
Screenshot 2024-04-09 215618

6 Likes

Impressive documentation.
Thx