Some change causing runaway thermals ending in crash

Big, as in

Cooler Master Hyper 212

have you ever tried to underclock your CPU?

I have planend on it, I havent put much effort into it lately, though it is planned sometime soon.

High core frequency isn’t everything

you’re 99% right, however unfortunately with the modeling software I have used professionally, I will stall a new cpu with 1 core maxxed and the other 15 idling.

Back in the early 2013, FX-9590 MSRP was $920

I bought the cpu for $90 and the MB for $100 on ebay roughly 3 years ago.

Win10 doesn’t allow me to widen the browser

ahh that stinks, well regardless of the video both of our experiences are the same so the video is redundant now.

might be the very old thermal paste

its less than 3 years old now, but perhaps next teardown cleaning I can reapply the paste.

I think ultimately undervolting slightly might be a better option and fabricating a heatsink for the vcore on the back of the motherboard. additionally I could see if waterblock parts come down in price, but I am waiting to see what the prices are after semiconductor prices come back down to something more normal and consider a true upgrade to current gen.

:astonished: You’re joking, right?

Hyper 212 Evo is that poor of a CPU cooler that only good part of it, is it’s cheap price. Everything else about it is from bad to worse. Only cooler that is even worse than 212 Evo, are Intel and AMD stock top-down coolers.
Or in other words: If you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.

Btw, 212 Evo isn’t considered as “big” CPU cooler in the enthusiast computing scene. It’s instead “medium” sized CPU cooler. For “big”, look towards NH-D15 (aka King of Air Coolers), Dark Rock Pro 3, Assassin III and the like.

I don’t deal with 2nd hand market, so i don’t have a clue what goes on there. But i’ve heard that you can get older Xeon CPUs with cheap price as well. :thinking:

With that furnace of yours, i’d be looking towards LN2 cooling. :grin: :wink:

2 Likes

well thank you for the suggestions and correction. Budget was the primary concern with this build and i was uncertain of the distinction between big and medium air coolers.

you will get monkeys.

thankfully the games I’ve played are monkey compatible. As a fun side note, during the winter I can play some games (elite dangerous mostly) on ultra with little problem and I do save on heating because of it.

I don’t deal with 2nd hand market

I shouldve been more specific, the cpu was $90 from either newegg or amazon new, the mb was from ebay. I must have caught a good deal when they were trying to get rid of old stock.

older Xeon CPUs

the downside with xeons were the low clock speed which for my business wouldnt have worked as well. in fact I think one of the workstations I have used in the past was a xeon that would stutter with heavy assemblies in Creo.

yes, believe me if I had the budget I would have chosen a newer cpu and oc’d it as far as I could, but my budget is only peanut butter and jelly.

Budget is always an issue and in my years, i haven’t seen anyone who doesn’t have a budget when it comes to new PC or upgrade existing one.

When it comes to air coolers, there are actually 4 classes: top-down, small (e.g Arctic Freezer 13), medium and big.

I guess you found out why that CPU was so cheap. :smile:

While most Xeons do have low frequency, it’s their IPC that makes up for it. Also, there are some MoBos that support 2x Xeon CPUs at the same time.

Xeon lineup is so densely packed that you can’t evaluate entire Xeon family based on one CPU. E.g if you have E3-1220 vs E5-1650 v2, you could tell a difference between the two. Oh, interesting fact: E5-1650 v2, from 2014, is equal in performance to Ryzen 5 2600, from 2017. :slightly_smiling_face: And they both are 6c/12t CPUs.

That’s the thing with small budget, you buy the cheapest components and face issues with them later on, like your runaway thermals. And solving hardware issues, without spending additional money, are rare.

In any event, it was a nice talk :+1: (since not often i can bring my profession side of things into this forum) and you seem to have solved your issue as well. For time being, FPS cap and for future: CPU underclock. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Fixed typo in Xeon name.

What? That’s not true at all. E5-1620 v2 is a 4 core 16 thread CPU. I found some numbers online:
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_xeon_e5_1620_v2-87-vs-amd_ryzen_5_2600-873

Cinebench R20 (Single-Core)
E5-1620 v2: 284
Ryzen 5 2600: 374

Cinebench R20 (Multi-Core)
E5-1620 v2: 1449
Ryzen 5 2600: 2736

And on cpubenchmark.net I found this comparing the two:

1 Like

it was a nice talk :+1:

It was! thank you for your help and the information. maybe someday I will have the budget for a top tier performance, but even on this janky hardware this game plays amazingly. I was astounded when I was getting this performance and visuals and I am still amazed by how pretty this game can be.

1 Like

Just noticed that i had a typo on my part. What i meant and wanted to type was E5-1650 v2.
My bad. :worried:

My source: UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X vs Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

1 Like

I wouldn’t put my trust on UserBenchmark. Although this site is quite well SEO optimized it’s content is usually garbage (have a look at https://ownsnap.com/userbenchmark-is-not-trusted-by-tech-enthusiasts-find-out-why-this-huge-website-has-a-zero-credibility-in-tech-community/ for a summary). It’s amazing that a vastly newer processor with a modern architecture is just roughly at the same level as a 5 year older CPU with the same core count but way less L1-L3 cache.

If you have a look at Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 @ 3.50GHz vs AMD Ryzen 5 2600 [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software you can see the performance difference better. This site aggregates results performed by PassMark Benchmark.

This, indeed.

(20 characters)

All comparison sites are there for getting the general idea, rather than trusting them 100%. Since no site can guarantee that you will get exactly the same performance as presented on the site.

True. But there is a difference between having a result where 2 items are equal while most others say they are highly different.

Different testing methodology gives different results.

For what i’ve seen: UserBenchmark favors single- and quad-core performance, while e.g PassMark favors multi-core performance. Due to this, we get different results between same CPUs.

Btw, i’m not defending UserBenchmark or PassMark in that matter. In the end, it’s up to anyone themselves whom to believe.

1 Like