Speed upgrade for bikes

Here’s what I’m thinking: When I was a kid, we would use a clothespin + a playing card and attach to the bike, which would make it feel EXACTLY like riding a motorcycle. Machines should drop these kits randomly so you can choose an “upgraded” bicycle with something like a 2% speed increase but the annoying sound attracts more enemies.

5 Likes

This brings back childhood memories! We used to tie a string from the handlebar to the clothespin so you could change the angle of the pin which would change the noise from the card, like you reving your “motorcycle”

1 Like

Strapping something to your bike wheel, so that it generates sound, to imitate motorcycle, is still a thing even today. :slight_smile: (I wonder why.)

Though, adding additional item to the wheel(s) shouldn’t increase the bike speed. Since it creates additional drag and should instead reduce the bike speed. :face_with_monocle:

But it would be a good lure for machines with the additional sound it generates. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love the idea and even though i agree with @Aesyle’s statement about drag, i think both me and Aesyle should just put a sock in it and enjoy the wroom wroom! :smiley:

Another option would be to use a knallert addon-motor (with a roller that transmits the power directly to the front tire, think bottle dynamo, but the opposite… :slight_smile:)

I can definitely see this happening; a knallert bike-upgrade schematic requiring a lawnmower-motor (or whatever), the experimental version includes som food-grade nitrus by fitting a cream whipper to the carburettor to create the 6*ludicrous-mode :crazy_face: :exploding_head:

Knallert mopeds were quite popular in sweden in the decades before -89 and its construction is pretty much a beefed up bicycle with a addon power-unit consisting of motor, roller and gastank on top of the front wheel.
So it would be lore-friendly to have a motor as an upgrade, along the same lines as adding a scope to a gun.

But still, even though its “wrong” (from a physics standpoint), i do favor the card-in-wheel-idea simply because its so easily recognized from practically everyones childhood.
You dont need to add nor subtract a single item from the “equation” (bike+playing card+clothespin=a whole lotta love!) making it a truly elegant solution.

And as Einstein so clearly stated; everything is relative and the perceived speed does increase by a factor of 5(quadrillions!) when accompanied with the sound generated by the playing-card “engine” :upside_down_face:

4 Likes