[SPOILERS] Lost Logic in Generation Zero: A Critique of Historical Accuracy and Strategic Plot Holes

I feel like people have forgotten that Generation zero is set in the 1980s Sweden A politically neutral country with restricted imports of weapons and weapon systems.

Since the fateful day of the “Cataclysm”, NATO and the USSR have each been closely monitoring the situation in Sweden, raising their preparedness levels and weighing options.
When proof was obtained that there were survivors hiding in multiple locations in Östertörn, resolution “Reaction: Phase 1” was passed at NATO, as an urgent, temporary solution: large quantities of standard-issue weapons used in the American military were to be dropped all over Östertörn, in order to offer immediate assistance and support to the various groups of survivors.

While the survivors of Östertörn have already managed to scavenge some US and Soviet weapons, NATO has decided it’s time to broaden the arsenal even further, dropping another shipment of American weapons across the Resistance controlled territories. While this is still not enough to stave off the machine invasion, it should help the fighters tackle most situations and battles.

How did the resistance members communicate with NATO to get supplied with weapons. And why didn’t they contact the mainland in that case. would’ve been 100% easier, with the robots being a secret government program I have a hard time that the Swedish military didn’t haul ass to keep it under wraps.

Did NATO just go shush shush about a crisis in Swedish territory to Sweden!? And with Sweden doing constant recognisance flights over its territory how have they not yet realized what has happened!?

Is the Sweden in this universe that unprepared during this time!?

So you guys see the lack of logic here?

Sure they cant just retract the DLCs now but come on this is ridiculous! Stop weapon DLCs while you are ahead devs!

Adding Scandinavia weapons would make more sense or WW2 weapons because these could exist in private collections or a museum somewhere in Östertörn.

What are your guys thought’s?

1 Like
1 Like

Yea, thats what im talking about NATO is just either not caring to tell sweden what has happened in Sweden. Or Sweden in this universe is so uncapable to defend against a relatively small enemy. But sure i can agree to let it pass if they dropped the NATO part. Because the amount of sense that piece of lore just messes with my head.

1 Like

Small enemy? FNIX? Sweden uncapable to defend itself? Don’t forget that a great, modern, deadly part of the swedish army now IS the enemy.
They invested so much into this modern army that they just weren’t able to defend against it by themselves.

And don’t forget that this enemy was able to shoot down all machines over Östertörn and to use the coastal defenses to destroy the swedish naval units.
It’s an unknown enemy for the swedish government, the Nato and the soviets. That’s why they reacted the way they did.

What I’m missing is… We repaired the communication and destroyed the jammers, we broke the control over the coastal defenses… Why didn’t there come more to free Östertörn? Aircraft Carriers, Bombers, Cruise Missiles…
Or is that the cause for beginn of the soviet invasion to help the people, which lead into a great disasters?

It’s hard to bring it all together in the correct line as it’s all just there. Even for one who played it since a few years ago, before landfall…

I really would love to see that the different events on the time line would really act one by one, if the progress in the story allows it.

The soviets and the crater, even the FNIX structures shouldn’t be there from beginning. Yes, the game evolved, but that is what I also want to see, feel and experience while playing the game.
Jumps in time (for example “2 weeks later”), cutscenes (boom), changed environments after these events…

3 Likes

Yea, that i can get behind! Right now doing the story missions seem to have no effect Like sure i get monica and pontus are just this games tutorial but pontus tells us to investigate the other bunkers on the island and try to establish contact with the mainland or the soviets (we did, and it led to a okay mission.) But i feel like removing the comunication blockage caused by FNIX should atleast bring us a lot of mission from the swedish goverment or armed forces. Like guarding the runway from the enemy forces while a plane/helicopter arrives. Or guard the docks after we completed “spiking the guns” So a swedish ship could arrive with soldiers. Then that dock could turn into a Safezone that we had to then go around the map and gather things for some NPCs, could also have a mission like on himfjäll where we have to guard the base after we have set up defences.

Monica and pontus came into the game like the soviets did. With an update. They weren’t there before and just were added to make coming into the game easier.

There are quite some things that doesn’t really fit together. Like the mission where we get a special device to hack some machines and doors. While doing the mission this was new.

I would have loved if this would have unlocked the hacking skill or would have enabled us to craft this device for hacking everything.

But that wasn’t the case. A logical Gap which became even greater with the DLC that brought us the hacking dart and even more with the introduction of the companion.

Regarding your idea of swedish or Nato soldiers:
Yes, but

• I don’t believe that the engine is able to make good looking animated NPCs (humen) that fight against the machines at our side.
  • having more factions that fight on our side would change the game really much. It’s made to let us feel how it could be to be alone or as small team against “superior” machines. This “David against Goliath”-feeling would be gone if we would turn into just a small piece of a great allied force.

But the greatest problem of GZ still is that everything that is added or changed to the game is just immediatly there instead of having a world and story that expands, changes and progresses by certain events.

I don’t say that the stuff isn’t cool, but the logic behind some things is missing.

1 Like

Indeed, Altough you may have misunderstood my idea about the safezone. My idea is that it will operate like the Hotel on Himfjäll With NPCs with missions or a Operations board. Or to scale this down instead of a ship there could have been a couple of boats with a squadron of soldiers. Then that we protect a beach landing while they arrive. Then like FNIX Rising there we could get a truck to transport the soldiers (so we dont need a walking animation for them. Then we go to a locked bunker and set up a operations base. And in turn there will be a Himfjäll ispired mission but instead of a DLC it will build on the story.)

1 Like

Yes I understood.
But wouldn’t it be weird to have the army there, but still fight alone?

Yes it could work that way, but it would also open more logical gaps, I think.

As long as the engine isn’t improved to create at least scripted events with some more human combatants, it wouldn’t make much sense.

I suggest one would use the system of Pontus where you have a short animation of the NPCs then when out of sight they teleport to their desired location.

Scenario One:
“A battalion of soldiers, dispatched from a larger vessel as part of a Swedish military operation, faces dire circumstances when their ship is destroyed. With limited resources and FNIX’s interference, they urgently need help to establish contact with the mainland.”

Scenario Two:
(After all operations bunkers are taken over)
“Following FNIX’s takeover of their bunkers, surviving soldiers and engineers join resistance pockets. Observing your successes, resistance leaders seek your aid in establishing a base to counter FNIX. Yet, FNIX’s relentless interference poses a constant challenge.”

1 Like

Are we even sure that the “event” has been contained on Ostertorn? The reason why Sweden hasn’t responded promptly from the mainland, could be that they simply can’t—that they’re in the same mess we are, on the islands. For how much we ‘know’—locally speaking—there is still a lot we don’t know. If the jamming hasn’t been completely cleared, then long range communications may not work—only short range, and line-of-sight (visual) communication might be working.

The Soviets do seem to think that the situation could easily spill over to their territory—half by chance, half by intent, depending on the faction… They might think that the situation is more or less contained to the islands, but even they might be mistaken about that already.