[Suggestion] Allow us to lean around corners

So it is now 2020 and we still have games where you have to step fully out in to the open in order to see or shoot past that corner.

Arma 3 and some others have had leaning to peek or shoot available for years (Arma has 9 positions !!). Without it movement feels very ‘basic’. No lying on the ground, no looking around corners etc.

Can we also have this mechanism added for the modern age, even if limited to just lean left and lean right ?.

4 Likes

there is something like this in the game already. if you stay close to a door way and you zoom with your weapon you will see that you peak around the corner. ofc it’s not the same like in arma and maybe it’s not perfect but it’s there

@RimBlock
Erm… why is that necessary?
I mean, sure, every so often machines indeed shoot back, but adding this would imbalance the game even further, I think.
No?

Maybe, It’s hard to say if you right. Probably needs to be tested first.

1 Like

@J053phH1.LL
Agreed.
And thank you, many think I simply say no, you then take it actually as a question.
For which, my gratitude, brother.

First, however, they should set up a test server where a few can test this out?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Because that’s what you would do in real life?

@arc1969
In REAL life machines would beat the crap out of you from 1 mile away before you even made it out the door.
More, they’d shoot you through the wall with AP ammo.
If they don’t just blow the entire building up, that is.

And you missed the point, it’s not about the move itself, sir, but about balance.
Balance already is out the window, adding even more cover…
And balance is what I brought up, specifically…

I would support it… if AI was fixed in the first place.
For now though, it leaves me with a question in regard to this already non-existing balance.

1 Like

You should make it so that the machines, once the have a lock on you, should be able to track you position through cover and have that specific “burst of fire” (bullets) be able to penetrate some surfaces like “Housing infrastructure” (houses for people and sheds alike).

I’m always interested to see what you have to say, leave your comments down below.
Happy Hunting!!!

I think the devs should add leaning to the game. I don’t know if it would be hard to do that or something but I think it could be very beneficial to people like me who like to be very stealthy and tactical. Tell me your thoughts.

You mean how games like pubg do it, right?

Yea. That sounds good

I dont think the games needs it seeing that you can just run around and shoot gun, seems to be more fun.

2 Likes

I like playing tactical so it was a idea I had.

They could set a realistic mode, in the same way that there is “easy” mode and “hard” mode.

1 Like

I Like that Idea a lot.

Same feature request topics merged.

Also, do search the forums beforehand.

//Mod

The way I see leaning in the game is - It’ll take two buttons away, which for PC players isn’t an issue, but I don’t know how the game plays on consoles and whether action of leaning either direction isn’t making it cumbersome to use the controller by being able to walk, lean, aim and shoot all together.

So that’d be the first question I’d want to know whether it’s easy for console to get and then the next I’d ask at what conditions/times it’s available to lean. Whilst standing, whilst crouched, whilst prone? Is it also a good idea to let a player lean every direction at all times, if there is the possibility they’d lean the opposite way of the corner they’re behind, making it look silly :smiley: For mute player communication, it does kinda introduce this out-of-the-game communication when the player leans left-right-left-right or crouches a couple of times :smiley:

Then the real interesting question for me - How it’ll affect AI. Like, when I’m using cover and the AI sees that, what will it do? Of course for simplicty the lean could be added to help with using cover easily and it makes the player more controllable, so the player is more inside of that game and inside of that body, which could make the player appreciate other smaller things that make the game so detailed (rain under certain places, rain muffling gunfire, bushes helping the player hide and all the sound lure tactics). Then it’d be interesting to see machines react to you leaning in cover with finding a different angle if that angle can’t be found, abruptly stop the firing and wait for the target to show up, so it tricks the player in thinking there’s an opening. Usually you hear a runner fire a couple of shots and then hear that obvious opening, but imagine it abruptly stopped and tricked the player to check out of cover. Then the player would learn that the machines try to trick you, so you have to peek out of cover to make it fire again, until it’s on the Actual cool-down for firing.

That would be an amazing feature!

Taking cover would be a good feature. Those who don’t want it, don’t have to use it. It could be implemented this way for consoles:

• Hold X to go into cover when next to a wall. This puts you into “cover mode”.
  • since it’s 1st person, you would be facing towards your “cover” so you can still tell which way to lean in the correct direction.
  • While in “cover mode”, use the L-stick to lean around corners, around/over a car, or over a rock wall. Left, right will lean in that direction, up will peek over.
  • While in “cover mode”, use the R-stick to move along the cover.
  • To get out of cover, L-stick down.

You wouldn’t remove any other buttons from the controller as it’s a “mode” you get into and can exit. Entering any kind of mode can done by holding down a button, so that option on a controller opens up more mechanics for a game, e.g. Holding down Y can open up a weapon wheel to swap to another weapon in your whole inventory much faster. Holding A (jump) can allow for climbing mode.

1 Like