Suggestion for an "Exotics from the 80's" weapons pack

Sorry to say i was not able to read everything of your other post, for the same reason metioned above
Not today, when i dont have patience, when the game has no updates, the hype is gonne and im playing other games and busy with real life stuff.
Besides it wont change anything, if they were to add extra values to damage they could have done that already, which is something they did for the latest magnum and the opposite for the Kharl Gustav clone ( diminished damage value)

3 Likes

I know what you mean and I understand your position, but I just told you my experience from this forum.

That doesn’t mean, that I don’t fall back into old patterns from time to time. You know what I mean if there suddenly is THE IDEA and you just want to write everything down to let everyone take part. :grin:

The game is dying… At least it looks like that for me, because I just follow this forum, not social media or discord or whatelse. And it’s getting quite here. No updates for many months, new real info about what the team is doing and what we might expect… The overall interest is shrinking each day. As far as I see.

Oh, and I’ve been really busy in the past almost 2 years…

STATS

• 564 days visited

• 15d read time

• 1d recent read time

• 2.9k topics viewed

• 25.7k posts read

1 Like

The dev team seems quite active on Twitter, and their official Discord also sees frequent new members.

Might not be the biggest community, but it still has a pulse; and this recent sale might have boosted the player numbers a little.

They are quite active recently but its more of a fan exchange, and not so much about updates and game content.

2 Likes

The game will get new updates, Carni assures us. But we know the devs have abandoned opening up the big island or islands above Himfjäll. The fact, that at a certain point those islands got roads and an airport, tells us the devs had plans. Since if there were no plans, why add roads which weren’t there before?

I still have hope that the game will pick itself up under new management, and opens up the new areas we all expected to get ~2 years ago, because that would be the boost the game needs. :coffee:

2 Likes

My 2 cents - I have a feeling that this is not so much about management but the game engine itself. While the engine is capable of creating beautiful scenes and works pretty well for demos, the physics sucks seriously and as we saw it has got some serious performance issues.

So the question is if it’s still a case trying to build new stuff on top of this engine or if they are working on a completely new engine which would be more gaming-oriented solving most if not all pain points of the current engine.

I’d hope for second option because it would be easier to create Generation Zero 2 on new engine which would be take place on the new big island and they could “incorporate” the old islands in it later.

1 Like

dreaming of GZ2 in UE5 + remastered GZ1

I think that most of GZ:s weapons should be something you could find in Sweden during the 80s, that whould make it more about staying lore friendly and immersive to the enviroment and story instead of some weapons used miles away that never touched Swedish soil.

4 Likes

I tried to convey that in my other suggestion thread, about the guns that should be used to fill the gaps we currently have in our arsenal (for example, the snipers I suggested were the Sako TRG and the Accuracy International AW – one was released in 89 and adopted by Sweden years later as the Psg08, and the other was adopted by Sweden almost alongside the Barrett as the Psg90 – I also suggested the Tikka M65 and MSG90, both of which could be found in Finland and thus not unlikely to be found in a war-bound Sweden)

… But since the idea on DLCs seems to be “add something different, optional, and that gives us extra revenue to pay development”, this pack’s idea was just to follow the “embrace the theme of the 80’s” spirit that they used in the US Weapons Pack; dunno if you noticed, but the guns there were basically “famous US guns from 80’s action movies”.

After all, remember: this is still an “alternate history where Sweden is attacked by giant robots”, so… some liberties are expected; though this list does take into account what could be present in Sweden at least as import/contraband (which is why I didn’t include stuff like the FAMAS or the SA80, which were exclusive to their governments).

Yes, I think it is very important to focus on weapons that may exist in that place.

The location of GZ, an alternative Version of a swedish island, is one of the facts that make GZ unique. What we don’t need is to destroy this immersion by flooding it with stuff you see in any other game that offers real weapon models, just because they are popular.

And the reason “for the money, for the devs, for development, for GZ-content or a sequel” is no reason in my eyes, if they sell their souls or the games soul.

1 Like

Funny enough, one of the devs said “I’d like to see an AUG” when I suggested this list.

But yeah, I understand where your sentiment comes from; again, which is why in the other thread I tried to stay true to stuff that could be found in Sweden for sure around that time (and used foreign 80’s replacements whenever I couldn’t find anything; for example, local shotguns other than the Sjögren).

I must admit, the Steyr AUG is one I would love. Loved it in Counter-Strike 1.6 (long time ago), too.
It would be nice because it looks cool and has a premounted scope. That would be something new.

But, as I said before…

Yeah, if I had to pick a shortlist amongst all of my suggestions in all topics, that actually respects the setting as much as possible, it would be:

• Sako TRG (in .338 Lapua Magnum if possible; made in the 80’s but adopted by Sweden years later)
  • Tikka M65 (in .338WinMag)
  • H&K MSG90 (updated DMR version of the PSG-1; used in Norway, and the PSG-1 used in Finland)
  • Accuracy International AW (a.k.a L96A1, or “Green Meanie”, or Psg90 in Sweden)
  • VSS Vintorez (so we could have a DMR/accurized AS-VAL, and also another gun to use the same ammo)

And if we could take a small anachronistic license (just like they did with the Sako 85, which is a rifle from 2006), the Saiga-12, so we can have a mag-fed semi-auto shotty.

1 Like

Because it fits the game more when we fight the machines with weapons that we could find everywhere at every base and military location, weapons that where typical for a big conscript army like the Swedish in the 80s, Ak4, kpist, Ksp58, carl gustav. It makes us fell more like we are actually in Sweden and not texas. Not weapons that COULD find their way to Östertörn and normally are from miles away in another part of the world.

1 Like

Well, I made myself as clear as I could.

1 Like

I think we should ad some new weapons that fit into the world, like mauser and maybe a revolver.

The problem with that is that from a gameplay standpoint, it overloads two already-crowded niches, and doesn’t add variety where it’s actually needed.

People seem to forget this is a game, not a real-life simulator. So it needs to follow game design principles as well.

Mauser? I did consider suggesting the Swedish Mauser, multiple times. Why didn’t I? Because the Swedish Mauser was chambered in yet another unique caliber that would have to be added to the game (6.5x55 Swedish, which is weaker than the .270 used by the in-game Winchester, and stronger but lower-range than the .243 also already in-game).
In other words, it would be cool, but nearly useless, and it would introduce the hassle of coding both a new gun and ballistics for a new cartridge.
It would only make sense if they replaced the in-game Sako 85 with the Swedish Mauser, but they probably won’t throw away a whole gun just to satisfy the whims of a few.

A new Revolver? The Swedish Army officially used pistols during most of the cold war, starting with the old Walther P38, then the Lahti L-35 and then the Glock. Chambered in what? 9mm, a niche that’s already ovrcrowded.
If we really force a revolver, it would have to be civilian, or older than what we have. How old we’d have to go?
1958!
Smith & Weston Model 12 (the newest edition of tech from 1899, updated in 1953 and adopted by Sweden as the m/58), chambered in, guess what? Yet another cartridge! .38 Special, which only this gun would use and would be weaker than 9mm but slightly stronger than .32 ACP (same velocity, double the bullet weight), a niche we don’t need.

When I make suggestions, I don’t invoke names out of the blue; I research the options, I consider what the game already has, and what it has not. Otherwise all I’d be doing is crowding the loot table with even more useless loot, something everybody would complain about.

2 Likes

obvious SMG that needs to be added is the UZI, also since this takes place 89-90 the P90 could also show up, but it would be a rare weapon.

UZI
FN FAL
Sterling 9mm SMG
M1911 and .45ACP ammo
P90 as this game takes place in 89-90 so you could end up getting early versions
P90 can fit in the story timeline as a PDW created to hekp fight the machines.
AUG
Thompson so you can go gangster on the machines
SPAS12 shotgun

Moved to here. One topic is enough.

//Mod