Suppressors on guns

I ask a simple question. Is a supressor in this game give less power to my weapon, less range?
One more time, sorry for my english…

2 Likes

No. When the game came out the DEVs said it reduced the velocity, but later they backtracked (or cjhanged their minds) and specifically stated that it has no deleterious effect on impact or range (there you’ve learned another English word - deleterious: harmful!)…

1 Like

In real life a suppressor does not change any velocity or ballistics. However it might change POI because of changed barrel harmonics and the fact that you have more weight on the barrel. In my experience with several high calibre rifles the accuracy is usually increased abit with a suppressor mounted on it.

However… To get the effectiveness of the guns in game you would need to use subsonic ammunition to get rid of the crack thats produced when the bullet breaks the speed of sound. This is something that games rarely do consider and thats probably why the “myth” that suppressors reduce damage output is out there.

When it comes to 9mm you could just go for 147gr factory load that are subsonic by default… For something like the Ag5 you would have to reduce the speed of the bullet to the extent that you might aswell use a 22lr…

There exists subsonic loads for rifles but most of them have extremely high bullet weights and require special rifling twists to get the bullets stabilized due to the low velocity.

Jomjom79

3 Likes

Thanks you for help, so i have a new question now: what is the utility of barrel extnsion in the game?

More penetration, more range or damage?

It look like my AR (AG4 exp) got more accuracy at long rang with the long barrel.

More accuracy with FMJ vs AP too.
Am I dreaming?

No, the velocity is increased, and therefore spin, and therefore accuracy… :smiley:

1 Like

Well in theory a longer barrel will increase the time that the bullet is IN the barrel and therefore increase the time that the expanding gases will push on the bullet causing more velocity…

Its all up the powder used though. For each barrel length and calibre you ideally would choose a powder that is suitable for the barrel length you are using.

To simplify it abit (alot) you got fast and slow burning powder.

For long barreled rifles you would use a slow burning powder to ensure that the gasses are still pushing on the bullet while it still is an basically hermetically seal ensuring maximum velocity while still keeping the pressure low enough for the weapon to handle it.

For something like a handgun you would want a powder that burns quickly enough that all the energy is used up within the short barrel that it has. Any pressure that is not used will just produce a louder muzzle report, and this is the same with rifles…

For the ingame extension… I dont know… A screw on addition like that would atleast not add to the spin of the projectile unless its perfectly matched up to the spin of the barrel… And that would require one hell of a gunsmithing job to get done right.

It might just be a sleeve that is screwed on the barrel and i guess that could in theory trap the gasses enough to result in some added velocity… It might exist…

Personally as a Norwegian i have never ever come across them even in military settings.

Jomjom79

2 Likes

It’s a real pleasure to read you.
You make me understand a little bit ballistic and it’s look very interresting.
It’s in reality more than simply power it’s mathematics, science, physical, beautiful!

1 Like

So basically longer barrel gives higher velocity. But to make the most of it you should have slower burning powder. And a longer barrel adds to accuracy. That is all nice and dandy.

However! Everything oscillates. How do you ensure a mechanically stable interface between the barrel and the extension? Wouldn’t the extension act like a spring and oscillate with respect to the barrel? I know that the resonating base frequency must be lower than the time the bullet spend in the extended barrel by order of magnitudes, but still?

And what about the ammo? We have two types (Armour penetrating and soft tip I suppose) but that refers to the bullet composition, not the burn rate of the powder, right? So we haven’t got any choice here.

I know that if a game should mimic reality exactly, it will most likely be way to complex to play. We would end up with all kinds of different ammo that almost no-one would understand, and the experimental weapons would need a whole new set of their own. So comprises must be made. But the discussion is facinating.