Tanks are too hard

TBH I think they are too slow to react to the radio

Ok so im on ps4 and the only beef i have with the two legged tank is the machine gun its lethal regardless of how far you are miles n miles.Try this dont be scared of the tanks you can side step run n gun the tanks even when the machine gun is firing at you litirally meteres away try it.It does get boring in a single player gun fight with the tanks over and over for myself as somtimes it takes alot of time like 5-10mins to disable all components to kill.Tbh i wish the rocket launcher was more effective against the tanks as it showed in the preview video.

The best way to deal with tanks in solo play is with explosive tanks as described above. Propane / air canisters and large fuel cells or using explosive items in the world like cars and propane storage tanks.

If you’re trying to solo a tank with nothing but your guns, you’ll find yourself running out of ammo pretty fast. You really have to pick your fights solo. There’s not a whole lot of return for the time and resources you expend killing a tank if you use guns.

For me, I sneak as close as possible, toss a medium EMP, and drop 1-2 explosive canisters (depending if it’s proto / mil or FNIX) under the tank. I then run backwards and shoot. That takes care of the tank. Sometimes I get caught in the splash damage, but I try to get as far as I can before blowing it up. I’ve only died from the blast a couple of times. Typically I take damage and can heal up. It works every time.

That said, you have to make sure that you clear the area of smaller machines before taking on a tank solo. It’s pretty hard to fight the big guy when you have to fight off all the little ones too. Although that said, I’ve had some success adding a flare to my routine. Toss flare, under tank, attract attention of all smaller bots, then do my routine above. My success rate has been lower doing that though.

Typically, I’ll avoid multiple tanks if playing solo. It’s just too expensive on my resources compared to the payoff.

Yes, but You have to put them relatively close to the Tank (they are sloooow).

On tanks take the armour of .eg knees then shoot joints for one clip on each joint taking weapons of them help to as that is still classed as DMG .depending on what weapons you carry emp rockets work well but don’t last long so run and shoot and drop a land mine unless changed one land mine will take a tank out shooting from distance hiding behind trees work while they shoot shouldn’t but does just sidestep out and shoot at weak spots or hide behind rocks and do same but remember red wired tanks drop ticks too…is funny watching the 10/20 ticks lift a dead tank of floor again shouldn’t but does… harvesters shoot rockets on bk first that will do alot of DMG too…as said b4 this is not a game where you just run in and shoot everything and hope to survive…

1 Like

Hit them with an EMP like this one :wink:

Haven’t had a chance to crop the video yet

2 Likes

Tanks aren’t too hard, not even the FNIX variants IMHO (I play single player as well, and coop with the wife when she feels the need for some sniping action). Just need to play slow and methodically, hitting the weak spots often, affecting the tank’s components and movement until he’s toast.

So devs - please no artificial nerfs for the Tanks (albeit the AI itself could use some tweaking overall).

1 Like

i have found running left or right of a tank at fairly close distance , they cannot aim fast enough to shoot you , also waiting for them to reload gives you a good chance at attacking them. i agree take out the dogs / runners and all things around them first. land mines are lethal also , place 2 of them and a explosive gas tank and shoot it and watch them die in one explosion sometimes. all in all , its strategy , hope this thread is helping.

1 Like

Run n gun is possible

1 Like

I think they are fine in general but I think there is a bug where tanks occasionally know your exact position regardless of what you do or hide behind. I just had such a session with the Troll Toll tank, every time I stuck my head out the slightest bit (at a distance) or sometimes even when I was behind something it would start firing the cannon at me with pinpoint accuracy. It was impossible to get off a shot without loosing like 80-90% health. I even tried fast travel to a different safehouse and back to the lighthouse but it still shot me as soon as I tried to have a look at it so eventually I gave up and restarted the game and managed to kill it without any problems.

1 Like

The difficulty of tanks is fine for the most part. Their AI / pathfinding is questionable.

5 Likes

Sure RnG is possible in solo against tanks, it’s groups of fnix hunters with that fletchet gun that test me. Got jumped by 9 once along with 2 tanks and 10 runners Lost alot of adrenaline shots and ammo and frame rate lol.

4 Likes

Lmao thats a forest gump never look back.

3 Likes

I managed ok to be fair, AI doesn’t react well to you running big circles around them (Forrest Gump style obviously) whilst engaging them. The Tanks destroyed most of the runners and the hunters kept shooting each other with all the crossfire I was causing by straffing them leaving me with a manageable number to engage head on. I do love this game but my time playing it has been limited due to frustrating issues I face on ps4.

1 Like

They get proper old school roboticly slow lol.If i encounter too much i give chase to a building while stopping hopeing theyll catch up but hunters normally doo bless em lol.Youve got no chance straffing a hunter it will get you.

1 Like

Particularly the FNIX hunters with the exploding flechettes. Those are tough and nasty.

1 Like

The ones with a long distance tractor cannon thing lol

1 Like

Especially when the flechettes attach to you. Insta-death, ouch.

1 Like

To be fair, we’re fighting an all metal war machine with a heavy machinegun mounted to it. So, ya it should totally lock you up and keep you pinned at the max range of the weapon. And if it’s a .50 then even more so. That thing should punch through most civilian structures and vehicles in fact so just be glad that isn’t a thing. I just wish the RPG rounds would hit harder than high speed tomatoes :frowning:

3 Likes

Havnt managed to kill one yet! Emptied all my ammo which was a waste of time so now its a case of run round them with a space of 5 miles between us :grinning:

2 Likes