The Ammo Overload Crisis: My Solution

The ammo management is becoming a critical inconvenience.

On average, I’m finding more bullets than I’m using since I’m being super ammo efficient now with a better knowledge of critical components and my various skills I’ve obtained and all of that. Recycling bullets at the station just feels like a waste and it would pile up component storage; alternatively, leaving bullets behind and just simply not looting for a while to drop my bullet count down again feels pretty dull in a looter shooter. That said, a special storage unit designed specifically for ammo would be nice.

It would also be cool to see this storage work off of a hard ammo cap for each bullet type rather than weight to keep things neat (10k for assault rifle/LMG/SMG rounds, 5k for sniper/hunting rifle rounds, 500 for launcher rounds (Or something like that)).

Additionally, it would be awesome to trade in excess ammunition for a special “Ammunitions” currency at that same storage station that we could then use to acquire end-game consumables, guns/attachments, and clothing items. That way you could add high level ammunitions-based consumables like an artillery strike beacon or an experimental ballistic wall with limited health that can be placed down or speed stims, etc.

You could even take things one step further by having safehouse upgrades available through this system. Things like increased ammo storage at the new station, a higher weight limit at the Plundra box, an on-site medical station for healing up without respawning, a sort of loot finding station that lets you search for specific gear, etc.

All-in-all, this is literally my one and only complaint with this game is that I’m punished for having a lot of bullets by having them take up all of my weight in and out of storage when it just means I’m being efficient and thorough. Instead of punishing players by forcing them into having very little storage space for weapons, making them scrap the bullets for a used up component storage, or having them stop looting in a looting game, the game should reward those who do a good job with ammo management (which is just an inevitable thing once you hit mid/late-game), and this system could open up more high-end items/upgrades.

If you read this far, thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Please add your take on this if you like. The idea isn’t perfect, but it could be if you pitch in.

2 Likes

I’d say that a separate ammo box with a weight limit would be better, and no trading in besides recycling.

Any form of currency addition brings the microtransactions to the game and i don’t want to see that can of worms in GZ. It just isn’t worthwhile.

As far as your “hard ammo cap” idea goes, isn’t it the same as current weight system, but instead of weight limit, you have ammo limit? :thinking: Changing one limit to another, is beneficial as of how? Other than it looking “neat”.

Here’s one solution to your ammo overload crisis: play on higher difficulty level. :+1: You will use more ammo on Guerilla than on Skirmish since machines are tougher there. :slight_smile:

Though, on available ammo aspect, GZ is rare game where you can find far more ammo than you’re ever going to use. Most other games have the limited ammo constraint and issue of being run out of ammo is constant. In that sense, i like GZ, since i don’t have to worry about ammunition. I can always go out to find more or even craft more, when needed.
And while it may be a bit sad that i have to drop excess ammo, it’s the nature of abundance of resources. I don’t know about you, but i’d rather have extra 10 bullets that i don’t need, rather than coming short of 1 bullet and dying (if ammunition would be limited).

Btw, GZ is not a looter shooter. In looter shooter, you have attributes for your gear, that diversities the loot quite a lot (e.g Borderlands, Destiny, Fortnite, Division, Warframe). In GZ however, there are no attributes to the loot or weapons, e.g 3* Hunter’s .243 or 4* Police Klaucke to give bonuses over base value. The 2* 12G shotty you’ll find will be the same as all other 2* 12G shottys you’ll find later on.

What she said.

I’d say GZ is a rare game that feeds you to obesity with ammo. Other games have their limits and solutions, but in my gaming life there were a one-hand cound of games, where I counted every bullet.

As fellow afflicted hoarder my solution in this game is playing builds that avoids any ammo pickup increase and as much as possible - any damage increase, on Guerilla. If I want to dump dozen kgs of “excess” ammo - I lure rival tank or even Reaper to some battle-comfortable Safe House and dump ammo I want to “waste”. Takes a while, but doing a good job getting a fix for a greed.

Also avoid MP, espesially those on Adventure. Scaled Skirmish is up to you stay or skip.
Too bad - gue MP is rare these days…

Plenty of games have currencies that aren’t monetized. As a matter of fact, nearly all games with an in-game market of some sort have non-monetized currencies. It’s why players specify currencies that require real money “Premium Currency” and call everything else just “Currency.”

I’m not talking about premium currency, I’m talking about an in-game currency with no hard cap to it so players can plug ammo into a place that wasn’t restricted and make something useful out of their excess.

– And yes, that’s exactly what I was implying with the hard cap on ammo storage. It would look neat and work on an ammo-by-ammo basis so various ammo types don’t share the same space.

Additionally, I play on the medium difficulty already. If I have to raise difficulty to make the game harder than what I want it to be in order to keep from overloading on ammo, then that’s a problem. A player base shouldn’t be forced into playing on the highest difficulty to keep from having too many resources.

Dropping ammo just feels dull and meaningless. If loot is there, I should be able to use it and make something useful out of it.

Lastly, saying that GZ isn’t a looter shooter because it doesn’t have varying attributes is kind of hypercritical. It’s a shooter that plays heavily into looting and scavenging for tools and resources to keep pressing on effectively in battle. In fewer words; it’s a shooter with emphasis on looting, that’s a looter shooter, bud.

Expanding what we could make with recycled parts is an alternative solution. I wouldn’t mind making a home-made grenade to spend up all of the explosives one gets from scrapping all of their excess bullets. Just something to keep from ignoring loot or tossing it aside.

Like I said in my reply to Aesyle, being forced to play on the highest difficulty to simply avoid overloading on ammo basically makes a difficulty option meaningless. If the option is there, I shouldn’t have to be forced into choosing an option I don’t want to partially fix a problem with the loot distribution.

It makes sense, but I play games for a moderate challenge that still makes progress convenient and not burdening, so I usually sit at medium for most games. Difficulty-wise, Skirmish is where I want it to be, but loot-wise, it’s just not awesome.

Simply avoiding loot is, in essence, avoiding half of the game - since it’s a nice simmer-down from combat to just loot my enemies afterwards. I enjoy taking what’s awarded to me for my efforts in combat and I should be able to use my awarded loot and make nearly all of it into something meaningful, which is why I proposed my initial idea.

Yes, however, with currency in game (either monetized or not), it draws the focus onto the currency since players would be constantly worried if they have enough.

For that (excess ammo), we have recycling in game. And it’s actually very favourable towards players since conversion rates are 1:1 + some steel. It’s not like where you need to scrap e.g 100 rounds of ammo to get 10 rounds worth of crafting materials, if it would be more realistic. (Which it isn’t, but could be.)

And when you reach the cap in ammo storage, then what? :thinking: The same issue comes back where you have to drop excess ammo since the ammo storage is full. It isn’t any different from the current situation but it will be more work for devs (to code all that), for nothing.

For neat looks, you can transfer and drop individual bullets to get a round number. For example, here’s my Plundra contents (aren’t the round numbers neat?):

Like i said above, you can scrap it and craft another type of ammo, that you need. Or keep the recycling materials for upcoming base building. :wink:

Any shooter game, that has some form of loot system in it - isn’t instantly a looter-shooter. E.g Deus Ex franchise or Cyberpunk 2077. Are those games looter-shooter because they have loot system in them? No, they are not.

GZ doesn’t have an emphasis on looting. Instead, the emphasis is on “pick your battles”. Loot is there to help you along but it isn’t the main aspect of the game. Heck, you can pick up baseball bat and go and whack all the machines in melee if you so desire.

The over abundance of ammo suddenly got useful after the recycling and reloading benches were introduced.

I often go to the North Coast and fight FNIX Hunters. That will give me 1000 rounds of .44 magnum in no time. Then I break it down for reloading components. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Indeed, the option to break down ammo for components is fantastic. I find myself often picking up AP ammo because they yield copper, that I can use to craft other ammo.

Sometimes, you need to take a break from all the fighting and just go for a few scavving rounds, gathering resources :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Exactly. I forget it sometimes, but picking up all kinds of ammo from machine drops will give you a lot of explosives, lead and copper quickly. I usually grab the ammo’s that you can break down in small batches, like .243, .270 and .44 :+1:

2 Likes

I grab all ammo. The ammo I don’t use I scrap. When my inventory is full or close I go to a bench.

After the workbench was introduced the need for the ammo perk is useless. If you have that, unfortunately you have to start or delete a character to get rid of it. I personally don’t use that anymore.

I save the ammo I use switching between ap and fmj. If I want to use another ammo type I make it. Currently I mostly use .50 cal and 7.62. If I use a small I just make it or save it until I have enough.

I will also break down stacks if needed.

I really don’t think they need to spend the time and resources to have a separate place for ammo. Using that time and money would be put to better use fixing crashes and new content