The Beginning of Many

So today I decided to show Gen Z to my sister and she made a character and started playing. I helped her, but soon I was overwhelmed. There were now 7 runners at the church, and we had to sneak in. Later we were ambushed by a pack of hunters and we only had a Dilapidated Moiler PP and an empty 12g Shotgun. We were easily outnumbered and outgunned. After our 100th death (Almost literally) she said that she didn’t like the game and quit. I was honestly quite surprised by the amount of enemies at the beginning level. I looked at the complaints, I blindly agreed with them, and moved on. When I was playing at the beginning I barley met any of the robots in some cases, and because of that I was able to move on. But now I see that in this case the complaints are true. Please just at least lower the amount of robots.

2 Likes

We’ve certainly seen this same feedback from other users as well. Hopefully the team will take a look at balancing the amount of robots on starter island :slight_smile: However I do not know if it has been acknowledged by them or not

1 Like

i recommend a few things,
find a strategy that works.
dont play with sisters because they are girly and smell funny, ( or make them tough in game ) [ this is a joke] .
check out the forums and internet on how others take the machines down.
keep trying , if all the machines where easy to kill , then there would be no challenge and you would feel ripped off and complete the game with no effort.
there are alot of places to get loot on the first island.
play multiplayer online and level up and get more loot and ammo.
just some thoughts , and hope your game experience improves.
-kindly

Sadly, the above is the fate of casual gamers now starting the game. For those of us who have been playing since launch or beta, this might seem like whining. But the reality is not everyone is a hardcore FPS gamer. Some people are just casual. And if you throw them to the lions right out of the gate and they can’t make any progress, they’ll quit playing. Simple as that. Making things overbearingly difficult like that only really appeals to the more hardcore type who want the ultimate challenge.

Right now with the extremely limited ammo people are getting (those who aren’t bugged out completely), the starter island with roving packs of hunters and military runners all over, it’s like putting someone in a boss level fight right from the start.

This is why games have multiple difficulty levels. The hardcore players can go into 1337 mode and be all 1337 and hardcore, and the casual players can play at a more relaxed pace and enjoy the sights and the story more casually.

5 Likes

One more thought about the non hard-core players : if the game attracts more casual, occasional, intermediate, quite old, quite young, multiplayer or solo players etc, Avalanche will get more money and will be able to put more people in the development and maintenance teams. The game would be sooner fixed and improved. So the difficulty level settings are needed.

1 Like

I didn’t meet a Hunter until I left the small island and there was one guarding the bridge. I avoided it and went round by the military camp. I only came back when I had weapons, and discovered how destructive cars are (blew myself up). Now I have the bazooka, I use that Hunter as a source of 7.62 ammunition, 'cos it keeps respawning.

But my first three days of play were sneaking carefully through the trees, and only had contact when I wanted to get into a house they were guarding.

Mind you, the dogs no longer explode if you hit the fuel tank with the hunting rifle, which means that you have to kill all the dogs at once on the run - no more sniping! I think that’s a shame, because it reduces your play strategy options, into a shoot’emup, which I hate.

Still, they should get the balance right eventually. Early days…

1 Like

Dogs blow up just fine for me when i use the sniper. A bit harder on the advanced models cause of the armor (and rockets and shit).

When I first played and fought a single orange dog by myself with a Moller; I nearly died. For new players, they do not know the weak spots, how close to get before it melees you, or basic fighting tactics.

The increase in robots on the first island is not bad; but I’d remove the scouts and Hunters until you cross the first bridge (before the first bunker). This gives casual/starter players a chance to adapt.

3 Likes