The Red FNIX (Ideas)

So I’ve had an idea about an (alternate?) timeline for a very long time, even before the soviets appeared on the map.
It’s a bit far fetched but it could make sense in the grander picture.

If you have any idea that fits within this feel free to share it.

This won’t necessarily be a short story but instead more of a fan’s/my imagining of events that take place, for the most part, outside of Sweden. Like how NATO and Soviet was made aware of what was going on and how they reacted. How the Soviet got their hands in the Device you use the last Base game mission in FOA 5
The soviet presence in the farmlands region

Basically how the Geopolitical picture in Europe is during the events shortly before and during the events of Generation Zero, but I also intend to give a possible explanation to certain things in the game

I initially wrote a short text that i planned to post yesterday after i saw the teaser for landfall but today after some hours i’ve so far made two pages with notes that would give further details about certain events and expand upon the story as whole, I plan to include invasions from, potentially, the west (NATO + Finland?) or the east (Soviet slowly taking control of Sweden)

There may or may not be an ICBM that FNIX may or may not get control over and decide to launch towards the Swedish Main Operating Base, that is also used by NATO and the Soviet, that may or may not be on Gotland

Short incomplete text

The USSR/Soviet Union has managed to establish contact and allied themselves with FNIX, let me explain why

It’s now early 1990 (or very late 1989) and the Soviet Union is just 2 years away from collapsing, the USSR government and Kremlin are aware of this and wants to try to find ways to prevent the collapse of glorious communism.

They first tried to “aid” Sweden with it’s problem so that they could potentially use Sweden for financial support later on since

“Privet Comrade Sweden. We helped you with problem, yes? Now comrade, you help us with problem.”
Kalm

But it didn’t go that smoothly and they ended up with a lot of bodies on foreign soil.
Panik

That’s when they started investigating who was in control of the machines and eventually found FNIX and managed to established contact

“Privet Comrade FNIX. We help you with problem and you help us, yes?”

FNIX agreed since it would get access to the researching, developmental and manufacturing capabilities of the USSR while the soviet get some safety in form of machines to oppress it’s people and put new pressure on those pesky NATO dogs
Kalm

• This could explain why the soviet had the knowledge of the facility and the tech to make the device to “disable” the machines

So for the Soviet they would then have a massive new machine army that NATO could only dream about and a hold over Sweden which could then be turned into a pro soviet puppet state

This didn’t go as planed because of you, the player.
Panik

Since the player or players started to destroy facilities, jammers and other infrastructure that FNIX was using, FNIX informed the soviet about you and told them how they could get rid of you.
Kalm

But FNIX is intelligente and isn’t really interested in glorious communism so It has other plans that it works on in secret. FNIX is using this blind trust the soviet has for it to secretly corrupt the soviet military structure in order to expand it’s own reach.

Now let’s get back to topic.

FNIX provided the Device to the soviet so they could send it to you, but at the same time FNIX couldn’t just shut down the jammers so that soviet could contact you, that would be to suspicious.

So as your path of destruction continued, FNIX started to gain an interest in you and your ability to always come out on top regardless of what FNIX sent at you.

The plan was to get you to use the device in the facility which would get rid of you and a lot of the Intel that Sweden had, consequently pushing their research back years.

This is what the Soviet union thinks happened

Very calm

But when it was time for the curtain to fall, instead of tricking you into thinking you had finally disabled FNIX and then killing you in the destruction of the facility. FNIX spoke out.

FNIX had grown fascinated in your abilities, maybe too fascinated, and decided to warn you about what the device actually did and what was about to happen. It gave you time to escape your own tomb. However, FNIX didn’t mention this to it’s soviet friends.

So the soviet belives that you are dead and they now hold the most complete research on the machine systems. so even if America and NATO gets control over Sweden, the soviet would still be in the lead.

This is how we now has this new machine that will arrive in landfall

Here are my notes so far

Before you read,
do know that these are just notes about ideas i have for the Story and therefore might be presented a bit disorganized, so some notes might be repeated as i’ve moved it around the where it fits in the timeline.
At the bottom is also some topics i’m gonna expand upon later

All of the notes might be subject to change

Notes

Events

The Machine activation happens. The Swedish armed forces are in disarray

Civilians flee, from the machines, across the border to Norway and Denmark, sparking confusion and concern. NATO is quickly informed.

• The Norwegian and Danish air forces deploy recon aircraft to better assess the situation
  • The Swedish units that can make it, regroup and conducts an aerial and naval invasion on the Island of Gotland which has been occupied by machines
  • The Swedish military forces are successful with the invasion, and establishes their Main Operating Base at Visby Airport on the island

A silent panic ensues across the west as the celebration of the fall of the Berlin Wall is overshadowed by what is currently believed to be a Soviet invasion of Sweden

• The US orders their forces to get combat ready and the UK starts preparing bombers with nuclear weapons. Within minutes at least 15 B-52s loaded with nukes are taxiing to runways
  • NATO establishes contact with the USSR about the situation in Sweden, while unconfirmed reports say that the machines are in reality, of Swedish origin
  • The USSR denies all claims about the machines and a Soviet invasion of Sweden
  • The Soviet Union, who was until now unaware of the presence of war machines in Sweden, decides to use the confusion to secretly prepare and send a combat force to land in Sweden in an attempt to possibly capture some assets for their own use. The region of Östertörn is chosen due to heighten activity and Intel they had gathered earlier about several military research sites

The newly established M.O.B near Visby on Gotland manages to establish contact with groups of military personal and civilians that has sought refuge in Norway and Denmark.

• Report from Gotland disproves a large soviet campaign towards Sweden, making NATO to reassume that the machines might originate from inside Sweden

• The USSR, while preparing their forces for Östertörn, reaches out to Visby and proposes they send a small force to infiltrate the mainland to get a better view on the situation.

• Sweden appears grateful for the help but denies the proposal, at least until they have a better understanding of what is happening

• The Soviet continue the preparations in secret and goes trough with it a couple of days later unbeknownst to Sweden and NATO

• The soviet landing in Östertörn is initially successful. They quickly confirm the presence of machines, but communication is difficult due to radio jammers.

• The Kremlin loses contact with their forces less than one week after they arrived

The events of Generation Zero base game begins

• NATO with The Swedish military decides to establish their F.O.B for the Sweden campaign near Visby where the Swedes are already well on their way to establish a full M.O.B
  • The USSR is also joining the campaign and creates a F.O.B on the island of Gotland

Soviet Union leaves the coalition due to disagreements with NATO about troop placement on Östertörn, and feeling unappreciated after they “recovered” tech that would be useful against the machines, or so the official response from the USSR says
Unofficially, they teamed up with FNIX and was made aware of some plans that FNIX had

The operation to reclaim and secure the Swedish mainland has been named Operation Blizzard

• The FNIX network has managed to “corrupt” and take control over at least one Göteborg-class corvette potentially more?
  • HSwMS Göteborg (K21) has been spotted patrolling the south-eastern coast of Sweden
  • Any attempts to contact K21 has been unsuccessful and approaching it has been met with hostility
1 Like

This was good and i am sorry if i sound rude now but i have some problems with this.
You talk about Sweden as it whould be like a command post in a game where either NATO or the Soviets get there first to take control. We are strong and it whould be more accurate if we become allies with NATO instead of NATO taking over us. And if the Soviet union tries to take Sweden then it will be a long and hard conflict with battles going on for months. And sorry but denmark and Norway? Östertörn seems to be located on the east side of Sweden and then why whould Danish and Norwegian aircrafts go all the way over Sweden who has a bigger airforce than them to recon some Island. And what? The soviets create and FOB on Gotland? If the Soviets have taken Gotland then there is no more talks, it is war, full scale war. And civilians fleeing to Norway and Denmark? again östertörn is on the east side of Sweden, we see this by the north coast and on the map, mainland Sweden leans to the east wich whould imply that they are in the high in the baltic sea. I think you think they are under norway and have Sweden to the east and denmark under. This explains why it is easy for the Soviets to get there, otherwise they whould need to go through Sweden. And again Sweden is strong, the Soviets couldnt just invade and take it or a small island or Gotland, we whould response and resist.

And for FNIX helping Soviet, i think FNIX whould only do that for their own good.

Good text and sorry if i sounded rude

3 Likes

Oh, that was not my intention at all.I know it’s a bit confusing since i didn’t really write the notes to publish them, I just did it since I wanted to share my idea. My plan in general is for mostly NATO to come to Sweden’s aid, due to the good relations they have with the other Nordic countries while the USSR seems to want to help while they in reality aims to grab the machines and FNIX research for themselves in order to prevent their collapse in December of 1991

In regard to Sweden Being a command post: NATO and The USSR was, for lack of a better term, invited by the Swedish to aid and since Gotland had been liberated and is where most of the Swedish military command structure is located it seemed like a wise choice for NATO and USSR to establish FOBs there, for better communication between the factions

Like you said here, the end of this storywhich may be subject to change, haven’t really decided how it will end up yet, will probably end with FNIX relocating to the Soviet Unioun (in order to one day take control over the USSR just like what is currently happening to Sweden in the game), while Sweden allies itself with NATO, potentially becoming a member?, after it was discovered that the soviet stole and later destroyed lot of the Swedish research.

that sounds like a good idea to write about, my idea was that they would plant KGB and other agents in Sweden to slowly promote Pro-Soviet politics in order to turn it into a puppet-state of sorts

I see the confusion. In this scenario the Machine uprising is nationwide, I know it’s never mentioned in game but I’ve taken that assumption since there hasn’t been any attempt by the Swedish military to take back Östertörn after many months has passed

The Soviet create a F.O.B on Gotland just like NATO since it’s strategically the best available position
Soviet hasn’t taken Gotland. The soviet Union and NATO has, from what it looks like, joined forces with The Swedish military to resolve the crisis in Sweden.
NATO has in general good intentions due to the good relations it has to it’s west block neighbours while the Soviet Union are there to “help” Sweden with its Problem (so that Sweden has to help them later perhaps) while potentially get some form of control over Sweden (long term paln?) in the pursuit of spreading communism.

I’m a little confused, if you assume that I, as a Norwegian, look at Sweden as an inferior nation then I apologize for coming of like that and simple say you are grossly mistaken. yes of course I like to now and then make jokes about Sweden but those are the types of friendly neighbourly jabs just like the Danish language is weird.
Or maybe I’m just misunderstanding you.
I’m also fully aware of where Sweden is located compared to Norway, Denmark, Finland and the other nations in Europe. My hometown is Fredrikstad which is only 30- 40 minutes drive from the Swedish border crossing at Svinesund

Exactly. FNIX wasn’t initially interested in aid from the soviet but when it saw how desperate they were, FNIX decided to try to take advantage of them.
As i wrote here

This also explains how the Soviet had the device you use in Behind The Curtain, and why FNIX knew what it did.
It will also explain how there are now Soviet Machines.

All in all I understand the criticism and apologize for not being clear enough

1 Like