The State of Generation Zero

Hi guys … still lurking about in Östertörn? Really?!! Well, I managed to get of the islands and back to the mainland a while back. Hitched a ride to Göteborg, where I hooked up with Annika (yes, the girl in the yellow T-Shirt). Having the time of my life! Cheers, everybody :wink:

4 Likes

No you can’t.
Suppressors are basically cosmetic outside of pre revamp archipelago.
Can’t stealth kill Army or above machines and you sure as heck can’t stealth past Apocalypse class machines because they have infinite agro range.

I have no trouble using silenced weapons to pick off enemies from a distance without alerting the others, so I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I mean, the further up the tiers you go the more advanced they get and the easier they can detect you, but silenced weapons work well for disabling isolated enemies.

I totally agree with you. I remember when during first weeks there was no one in multiplayer, everyone explored their own world :slight_smile:

1 Like

With this, i disagree. And perhaps i need to explain how suppressors work in GZ.

In most of the games, one would see that suppressors eliminate all firing sound, making stealth kills easy. But in some games, suppressors work like they are supposed to - suppressing the firing sound but still keeping some sound. A small “pop” to say so.
Same is in GZ as well, where better quality suppressors muffle the sound more but none eliminates the sound completely. Though, i haven’t personally tested if firing a silenced shot is enough alone, to alert the machines, so they come looking for you.

What is different in GZ, is that every machine has their body covered with god-level sensory equipment and when you fire a silenced shot at a machine, it can almost instantly tell from where the shot came from, and aggro to the player.

For example: 3x Runner pack.
If you were to fire a silenced shot at one of the runners, but miss, the runner goes into alert status since it heard the bullet landing sound (if given you’re above the runner and fired downwards to it, where bullet hit the ground near it).
But if you land the shot, that runner which got hit, will aggro to you and start shooting at you. Other two runners will hear the bullet landing sound (it’s a quite good “clonk” at the metal body of the machine) and go into alert status.
If you then make a racket or make yourself otherwise known to the runners, all three will aggro to you and start shooting at you. But if you keep your cover, you have to deal with one runner at a time.

As far as apo machines go, their sensory range is yes, wider than other machine classes have them. But it is possible to sneak past them, as long as you take the terrain you’re in, into account. E.g shrubs will hide you visually but moving through them creates more noise. So, it’s a trade-off. Also, machines can’t see directly behind themselves.

In my solo Guerilla game, where all machines have about 5 times wider detection range than in Adventurer, i have no trouble sneaking past any apo machine. I use the combination of Crouch and Prone and latter is very effective for stealth gameplay, despite having the slowest movement speed.

I am one of those who fully enjoying the game, and I’m accepting whatever path the game follows. And I am so glad that more people are showing appreciation for the game and the devs work. Made my day to read this. :+1:

2 Likes

Great video with a lot of good points! Might not agree with everything, but some are definitely spot on. Shared with the team!

8 Likes

I agree with your points and I see many points in every dev stream. I can’t remember when Pontus didn’t used Exp KVM or Exp PVG and nuke everything that moves. I also can’t remeber when he tought it would be a good idea to set a trap instead of railgun even Runners. To be honest all those streams become boring. And it doesn’t help that he is not allowed to tell us anything about futur plans. All we here are the same political answers like: “in a long enough time line you will get everything you want”. It would be interesting to know why they don’t want to share the futur plans with a road map for example. Who do they what to avoid to disappoint? On a long enough time line there is not money for further development and we get nothing.
In so many streams I heard the request for cars and instead of saying “no we will not implement them” all they say is “we understood that you want to move faster and we have see what the futur will bring” and in the end we got bikes :expressionless: Does anyone uses them? I don’t.
Just take your time and think about the game you want to make the direction you are heading and share your direction with us, please.

2 Likes

Good feedback! It’s due to the simple fact that the team does not want to commit to anything they might not deliver on. It might sound silly, but that’s the way it is. From the community side we’ve been working on sharing a Road Map with all of you, this is a harder thing than it sounds though but hopefully something that we can do in the future.

Note: We actually tried setting some traps on stream after watching Tenebris video on that, didn’t work out that well though…

2 Likes

Have you considered to take on any of the challenges in the stream?

Thanks for your answer but you can set up a very rough plan like:

• We want to add a new machine type to the game (maybe what direction, like a more agile one, or a flying one)
  • We want to give more love the the mainland
  • We want to make another DLC for the next island
  • We certainly don’t want to add cars

And don’t put a date on something. And if you would see that you would rather invest your time in a second machine type and not into a Island DLC than you can just tell us this and I’m sure nobody would blame you to not deliver.

Regarding the traps. I watched Tenebris video too and for me it was just: Throw everything you have on the ground and place it with a little bit distance to increase the area of effect.
The problem is that the radios only work for Runners and Hunters and for that purpose the explosives we have are also ok.
But Tanks don’t move very predictable and radios make them sprint in some direction for a few seconds but not to the spot you set your trap. And even if, the explosives we have are way too weak to kill a tank, not even the big fuel cells do mutch. Harvesters are way to slow to attract with the current features we have and have an unlimited supply of Hunters. You would have to set a trap that is able to kill it to justifie the time it takes to set it. Maybe not a radio is not the right think to attract them but something the harvesters scan and want to harvest.
To sum up, the game is currently just not meant to set traps for big guys and ammount of damage you can deal with the same weight of .50 cal ammo is probably 100 times higher than with explosives.
I dont want to start with Hacking skills.

That would be awesome. I suggest, give yourself enough time. From a developers perspective myself I know that I want to finish a thing rather sooner then later but my boss always insists to give me more time to finish things (+50%). So I always have a certain buffer if somethings goes awry or a sudden hurdle appears.

Ofc we thought of this, but its more complicated and political than you think. We tried to address this by showing of some future weapons in the Dev letters and will continue to look at how we can share more of the future in a way that everyone is comfortable with. Still, great feedback!

Any special challenge you want to see?

1 Like

Any of the higher levels of “numbing expert” or any of the levels of “music soothes the soul”? The later might be more informative for the community, since there is talk about that quest being broken… So if you can show that it works… :wink:

1 Like

I picked up my fourth copy of GZ today (this time on PS4) so I can start again without sacrificing my progress and I can’t believe how much easier it is from the way I played it back just after launch.

Especially if you buy the DLC. Soon as you get to Ibholomen church you get 3c Soviet & US weapons plus all attachments.

Giving these to new players this early seems off, but I grant that there’ll be people who would want (or expect) gold right off the bat having paid £2.50.

I think maybe making them 1c rather than 3c might have been better or maybe tied to player level; lvl 1-6 get 1c, 7-12 get 2c, 13-18 get 3c, 19-24 get 4c and 25+ get 5c.

Maybe at least a message, warning players that maybe they’d be better saving these guns until later if they’re below a certain level?

Although I can’t see many people resisting the urge to try out the 3c guns over the 1c PP or old Bettan. :wink:

4 Likes

When the US weapons DLC was released there was quite a discussion about turning GZ into “pay to win” (Generation Zero 2020 content review by JoJo). And I definitively agree that giving the player this powerful weapons early on makes the game even on Guerilla pretty easy, at least in the Archipelage region.

Until the player finds better vanilla weapons (most of the vanilla weapons are equal or better then those in the DLC anyway) the DLC weapons might be the go to weapons. I tried it myself for a quick session on Adventurer and dang you can rush through Archipelago like no tomorrow with those 3* weapons.

This is why I usually scrap them directly on site to not spoil my playthrough. GZ was about challenge but with the 3* weapons in the church of Iboholmen I feel this is gone.

P.S.: I scrap the good old Bettan too :joy:

5 Likes

I’m the same. When the US weapons launched, even with 4x lvl 31 chars I disposed of the 3c versions and attachments and only used the ones I looted.

Even if it did take ~200 hrs for me to finally complete my collection, with that 5c N16 proving near mythical to actually find at launch.

4 Likes

When it comes to weapons DLCs, i’d prefer nothing dumped into my Plundra. Instead getting them into the loot pool is sufficient enough. This gives me the joy of finding them. :slight_smile:

Though, even better would be, where you have few side missions to do, where you get the weapons. Like i described how US weapons could be gained, in here: Let's talk about weapon packs - #7 by Aesyle
This ties the weapons into the lore as well.

7 Likes

Thanks you so much Pontus! Means a lot to me, I sure value the feedback from devs highly!

1 Like

Or maybe have them spawn at appropriate locations in the game world, for example the soviet weapons could lie around in soviet themed set pieces.

2 Likes