The zero in Generation Zero

As I was reading posts about this game on Facebook and on this Forum, I noticed that sometimes the game is referred to as GZ or GEN Z. The term Gen Z is in IRL used to designate the generation following Generation Y and is a demographic group.

As this game takes place in the late 80s, the name Generation X would be fitting if we look at the ages of the teenagers who are characters in this game. So most likely Generation Zero is not referring to a demographic group, but to an event maybe?

What do you think what the zero stands for? A reset? Back to the past? Or worse the end of a generation?

A new era maybe, the first generation of the machines, or generation of FNIX maybe. As in the term “patient Zero” it means the first person to catch a new disease. So this could support the idea of the first generation of a new era/generation. I cannot remember who had made the name, whether it was the team, or a singular person. Would be great to know the origin

The big reset, the great war between humans and machines that would change all generations to come and specially mark those that lived during the event like the…young adults that are fighting against them (Us).

It can’t have anything to do with those we refer to as «Generation Z» today. It has to mean something else.

I always thought it was a fitting name for the people that survived the machine apocalypse.
Only problem is that it’s not an apocalypse at all, but an isolated event on Östertörn, at least so far. Probably feels apocalyptic to the survivors, though.

«Generation Zero» had a fitting ring to it, as the game was back at release. Back then you were utterly alone, with little clue of what was going on outside Östertörn. Now, with the 2 expansion packs, NPC’s, Soviet intervention, NATO weapon drops and the huge map revamps, the mystery that fit so well with the title is all but washed away. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great ideas guys…

O yes, I hadn’t thought of that meaning. You can’t remember who made the name, you say. Has there been discussion before about the name? I searched for it but with the wrong words I guess.

The discussion was not on the forums. It was during a dev stream. Someone had mentioned the meaning of the name, and iirc Pontus said something about asking the person who made it. But I could be misremembering.

My interpretation of Generation Zero (GZ for short):

Machine overtake
Player chars (teens) - Generation Zero (or 0 generation, alive during machine overtake)
Player chars kids - Generation One (or 1st generation after machine overtake)
Player char grandkids - Generation Two (or 2nd generation after machine overtake)
and so forth.

Zero could also refer to how before all the DLC’s the Population of Ostertorn was Zero nobody alive except you.

Well, player char also counts as population, since he/she is alive, thus, the population is 1. Or up to 4, if in MP game. Unless you don’t consider player char “alive”, instead he/she is a machine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (like my machine theory).