Things that go Bump in the Night

Hey everybody, and especially all you devs.

I’ve been thinking about this topic for a long time and just figured I’d create a post about it.
I think we can all agree, the sound design in this game is top notch. Not just the combat, sound effects and Machines, but the environment as well.

One of the main highlights for me is when it’s nighttime. You wander the game world and you come upon those quiet moments, when you’re allowed some peace from the usual carnage…

A derelict farm, early in the Machine Apocalypse.

You can skulk through a forest, walk down an empty road or dodge machine patrols between the derelict houses of an abandoned city.

Östervik’s streets, and a lone teenager.

That’s when you hear those distant sounds. Be it the strange animal calls, or those eerie mechanical noises they really send your imagination running. The latter in particular are fantastic.

If you’ve wandered Östertörn at night like I have, you know what I’m talking about. You never feel quite safe, no matter how big an arsenal you are carrying.

So, a heartfelt thanks to the developers for providing such excellent sound design. I don’t think I’ve come across a game yet that does it so well as Generation Zero. :green_heart:

10 Likes

I totally agree, but I’d like to add that there is more than just the sound design that makes this feelings.

There is the lighting, the reflections on some surfaces, the weather (lightning and distant thunder, rain, snowfall, wind), the vegetation,… It’s just beautiful. No matter if it’s night or day.

2 Likes

very good reminder for nightmare on night time. good job!

1 Like