Unique cuisines around the world

yummy, just yummy. I think Gordon Ramsey would enjoy talking about some of this food with you guys

I just feel that my food is much more boring then yours

One food that I enjoy is älg kalops (Swedish beef stew made out of moose) that my mother makes. Eats with cooked potatoes. (Both my parents hunts)

3 Likes

That looks really tasty. Yummy :yum:

1 Like

Good looking one.
Oh, right, carrots! Next time I’ll try to add carrots!

Another food that is from the Southern parts of Sweden (with different recipes, but essentially the same) is kroppkakor (literally translated to body cake). They look very similar to the German dish Knödel mit Soße (dumplings with sauce).

Dough balls (tennis ball sized) baked with pork and onions or other stuffing.
Some have different types of potatoes in the dough.
They are served with shredded melted butter and lingonberries.

3 Likes

That looks and sounds yummy :yum::grinning::+1:

Could you tell me a bit more about that? The picture looks intriguing.

Well that triggered me. I suppose you mean assorted cut green herbs like “parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme” :wink:

Thanks for the recipe. I love soup as well and do it frequently in the autumn. The trick is to give it time. Let it slow cook for a few hours.

Seriously? Then I’ll have to try it someday. Speaking about Christmas, a typical December dish in Denmark (well all of Scandinavia I guess) is rice porridge:

I sure everybody knows it, as it is Santa Claus’ favourite dish. Cook porridge rice (not ordinary Jasmin or Basmati rice!!!) in milk and add a tiny bit salt. Serve with butter and sugar and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. This is served with Nisseøl (Pixie bier) that is an (almost) non-alcoholic bier. Terribly sweet, but kids love it:

Yes, that’s what I mean’t with least words possible. Dried included.
It’s too thick to call it “soup”, hence “stew”.

About “confectionary”: I didn’t taste it myseslf (famous for it restaurant is on the other side of country), I’ve heard it’s trick is combining saltines from curing or using lard, then covering it with “high-proof” dark chocolate, that is more bitter than sweet. I guess it is something similar to Teriyaki sause on fatty meat.

1 Like

Had two Tuna-melts Toasties with extra cheese today for lunch.

Portuguese Stew

I don´t like it very much, but most locals and foreigners love it.

I prefer the (shown below) Portuguese Beef Stew, tastes better and has less fat.
There are 2 main different versions.
(Beef stew meat is either from Cow or Lamb)

"Jardineira" Type 1

On the Oven "Carne Assada" Type 2

2 Likes

When I think about Portugal the particular and unmistakable smell of charcoal grilled octopus always springs to mind. And then Pastel de Nata at a café. Delicious.

1 Like

There´s so much to talk about food, but it would not be ethical to spam this thread only with food from my Country :sweat_smile:

Says who
this a unique cuisine topic, there is no such thing as spamming food unless it’s not unique or not food

1 Like

In that case and at the “request” of @IanForce.
Lagareiro octopus, it has no translation.

Polvo à Lagareiro

A special dish over here, it is either grilled or put into the oven, the end result is always good.

1 Like

That looks soooo goood . As @IanForce said i have the smell of charcoal grill, grilled flesh, hot olive oil and garlic in my nose and i love it so much. :yum: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

That was my dinner tonight, a pasta casserole with minced meat and gratinated with cheese.
Easy to make and very tasty.

1 Like

Looks good!
In Portugal we have a dish a bit similar to that one.
It seems it has no direct translation.

Empadão

There are variations of it with Chicken, Fish or vegetables and cheese is sometimes used too :wink:

By the way, all these images are not exaggerated, when they are done properly theylook exactly like all of these above.

Note: It´s not a big pie, those are called Empadas (below)

1 Like

Ohh that looks also very good. Not everything needs to be translated. I love the original name of the things. The Empadas I have eaten in spain small puff pastry bags filled with minced flesh and herbs, very tasty. Very interresting is the fact that some meals and it’s variantst are spread over whole europe. From deepest south to the far north or east of europ.

1 Like