Unique cuisines around the world

From what I understand, a lot of people on this forum are from different countries and have much different food styles from each other. I think you guys should share with me and everyone else, what your favorite food from your home country is! I promise not to shoot you down by saying,“that’s disgusting.” Or,“ewwwwww.”
Any food is welcome here as long as it’s actual food

5 Likes

Apparently a fry up is considered weird in other countries. In the UK we call it breakfast.

3 Likes

In my country we love to eat raw salted herring dipped in onions.

1 Like

I live in the US, if you eat anything remotely weird, we treat you stupidly, I learned that the hard way.

1 Like

and that looks really good

1 Like

I’d eat that all day. My wife wouldn’t appreciate it though.

2 Likes

I personally steer away from McDonalds, whatever country it is. The smell it emits…
But anyway.
Lard. Raw fatback, not rendered, sometimes salted, sometimes peppered (either black or red perrer, pref. black). A good combo with stewed potato, boiled eggs and pickled cucumbers. Neither salad, nor mixed.

About herring with onions - not weird in any way.
If I come up with more, I’ll post it here.

Corrected topic title.

//Mod

We do have McDonalds. But for unique cuisines, there are several in Estonia (from the top of my mind):

Blood sausages are seasonal meal and mostly eaten during Christmas.
Kama can be used in place of morning cereal.
And Hematogen is a sweet nutritious snack, despite made out of blood.
I like all three. :slightly_smiling_face:

Other cuisines include:

3 Likes

We have most of that here… but Hematogen picked my interest.

Oh my Gosh, so many delicious dishes from your guys countries! The most “bizarre” Danish stuff that comes to mind is pickled beetroot. If you eat enough you’ll pee red, get scared, and call the doctor. But that is perfectly normal. If you go to the Danish restaurant NOMA you’ll most probably be served live ants, moss and dirt picked up from the ground in a dark forest, pickled pine cones, weird fermented slugs from the seabed … but then again, it’ll cost you a month’s salary so one might expect something special.

One Danish favourite (besides dark rye bread) is “Koldskål”. Mix buttermilk, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, lemon, and sprinkle it with crushed macarons or biscuits, and add two or three strawberries. Serve it on a summer afternoon and life wouldn’t get much better :yum:

2 Likes

Recently I’ve been decending into dungeon that is my fridge and returned with unbelievable loot!
Jar of pickled beetroot, blood sausage and some salo (pork fat slab).
I couldn’t help, but help myself some.

3 Likes

cheeder cheese and strawberry sandwich
(i had it this morning, it was nice, it is a real thing)

1 Like

Come on now that’s not a thing

:poland: Bigos - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos :poland:

:yum:

2 Likes

I believe it. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches might have a contender on my menu.

Take a peak, you will not regret it.

Although I don´t like sardines, I prefer grilled fish like salmon, swordfish and sea Bass.

2 Likes

It´s weird because it´s not healthy so early in the morning.
I would not mind to try it one of these days…but for lunch not breakfast :grinning:.
Don´t feel bad, most of the North America population eats that for breakfast (comment if you don´t guys).

There is a lot to be said about British food but I hold the Brits in too high regard to do it here. They did, however, get the full English breakfast right. Good job, fellows :uk::+1:

2 Likes

I put chocolate in my tea along with honey and vanilla, but that’s just a me thing not a national thing.

1 Like

Koldskal sounds really good!!!

1 Like