UX - Very first notification at the very first screen is dismissed too quickly for me to read

Platform: Steam

Description:

At the very start, when you load the game, a new player is presented with the HUD and three notifications:

• an objective-related “call to action” with nothing less than three (!) button prompts*,
  • one about using the joystick to move, and
  • another one about a shelter being now unlocked. (not shown in pictures)

There are also the compass, the XP, two bars I still don’t know about, and the possible “saving in progres” icon.

After only a few seconds, the “call to action” (which tells us to either press Y, A or B is automatically dismissed and is replaced by the screenshot below.

Let me tell you…
I did not have time to read and understand the “call to action” before it got dismissed.
This is some major information overload for my little “Attention Deficit Disorder” suffering brain. :sweat_smile:

Possible Solution:
Increase the time until such notification is automatically dismissed or add an option in the menu.

Steps To Reproduce:

1. Make sure “%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Avalanche Studios\GenerationZero\Saves” is empty.
  2. Launch the game and proceed to the main menu.
  3. Start a new character/playthrough.
  4. Skip (or don’t) the story cards
  5. Notice the explained behaviour: Notications appear, “call to action” disappears, etc.

Host or Client: Host. Single player.

Players in your game: Just me

Specifications: Probably not important.

It’s a standard new mission prompt. If you missed it just go to your LOG and you can activate and deactivate main and side missions.
There is also a TUTORIALS tab there, if you ever need it.

1 Like

Yeah… Thanks for the info. I found those by myself, but I still think they could add a setting for the duration of notifications.

I can’t remember which game I played recently and which had this feature… You could select the amount of seconds, if I remember correctly… … unless that was a “quick”, “normal”, and “long”… :thinking::sweat_smile:

Hm… I can’t say whether my previous comment was registered as a reply to @0L0 or to the topic… :sweat_smile:

EDIT:
Seems like there’s no way to know after posting.

Oh… Nevermind… You can find the info if try to edit the comment…

I remember this being a problem sometimes especially if I happened to be in combat at the time, impossible to fight and read. So I agree that an option for setting the time yourself would be great! Also while @0L0 is correct about the logs and tutorials I feel that it isn’t very convenient to find that mission you picked up, especially if you have multiple missions and don’t know the name of the one you just picked up.

1 Like

Yes, but no. I do read just that I am focusing on not dying and trying to read at the same time, and it is especially hard because English isn’t my first hand language. All I’m saying is that if I could choose it to stay 15 seconds more, I would.

1 Like