Vanishing objects (Fuel Cells, Explosive Gas Tanks, etc.)

Well, here is my “initiation ritual” for the GenZ forum. So, hello all!

Please allow me to say that I had an absolute blast getting into the game blindly for the first time. Absolutely thrilling! I praise the developers for having the guts to do something different.

That being said. I do have a serious problem, unfortunately. So, here goes:

Platform:

PC

Description:

Objects, which are placed down by the player, vanish when you move too far away. The distance at which this happens seems to depend on the type of object (sort of).

For example: Small Fuel Cells/Large Fuel Cells vanish at a distance of approximately 100-105 m. Explosive Gas Tanks/Compressed Air Tanks seem to be less consistent but vanish “reasonably reliably” at a distance of approximately 500 ± 25 m.

That is, when travelling on foot or by bike. When fast travelling it’s a different story. Initially the “rule of distance” seems to apply but when testing from different starting locations the logic seems to go out the window.

See “Elaborate Information” below for more elaborate information.

Needless to say, this makes Fuel Cells pretty much useless for anything but very close range. And, of course, losing your Gas Tanks (or any other objects) because you got chased away, a little too far, by an eager Hunter is quite disappointing.

In my humble opinion, these placed objects should be persistent. Preferably always but at least within a session and regardless of location, distance travelled and method of transportation.

Steps To Reproduce:

For “manual” transportation:

1. Place down a Fuel Cell and an Explosive Gas Tank (and some other objects for reference)

2. Walk away backwards whilst looking at them through a scope.

3. See the Fuel Cell disappear from sight

4. Walk back to the initial location.

5. Confirm that the Fuel Cell has indeed vanished.

6. Walk away a lot further whilst looking at the objects through a scope.

7. See the Explosive Gas Tank disappear from sight. (Also see “Elaborate Information” below).

8. Walk back to the initial location.

9. Confirm that the Explosive Gas Tank has indeed vanished.

For fast travel:

1. Choose a starting location.

2. Place down a bunch of objects.

3. Fast travel to another Safehouse location and back.

4. Check which objects remain.

5. Repeat 3 and 4 with increasingly farther away Safehouse locations until everything is gone.

6. Repeat 1-5 several times with a different starting locations.

7. Scratch your head. :wink:

Images / Videos:

One of the short tests with vanishing Fuel Cells (1920x1200 alert).

Host or Client:

Both? (Solo)

Players in your game:

Specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI
RAM: 16GB, G.Skill FlareX, 3200MT/s, CL14
Graphics card: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4GB
PSU: Corsair HX750i, 750W

Elaborate Information

Since I’m far from completing the game, I have not tested this across the entire map.

Graphics settings: Medium Preset but with Water Quality on High and motion blur disabled.

Background

Very long story short:

After a series of major fusterclucks, whilst trying to set an explosive trap for two FNIX class Tanks around the main entrance of Minken Command Bunker, I decided to experiment with setting a trap in the large open field just over the hill west of Minken Command Bunker.

I placed down 3 Explosive Gas Tanks, a Medium Fuel Cell and 3 Small Fuel Cells right in the middle of the field. I went back to the hill and took some pot shots at the FNIX Tanks. I did not leave the area (not farther than just over the top of the hill) nor did I die or fast travel. I checked the location of the explosives several times after tactical displacement and the Explosive Tanks were there visible all the time (but, in hindsight, not the Fuel Cells). The Tanks didn’t fall for it and after about 10 minutes I gave up and ran back into the field to retrieve the explosives. Only to find out that all of them were gone. The Tanks did shoot at me a couple of times but way over the explosives and there had not been any explosion.

I figured it was probably a time restriction causing the explosives to despawn. So, I found a nice quiet spot in Närkudden, placed a Small Fuel Cell on the dock, sat down next to it inside the small shed and let the game run whilst recording it. When I got back an hour or so later the Small Fuel Cell was still there.

Then I ran a wide lap around the perimeter of the house above and when I got back to the dock the Small Fuel Cell had vanished.

At that point I thought it was time for a more controlled test at a more convenient location. So on to Safehouse Anl 144 Vidsele with its nice long and wide road I went.

“Manual” test

Somehow, unfortunately, I lost the exact coordinates of the “manual” tests but I noted some of the calculated distances in a seperate file.

I tested this several dozens of times (for Fuel Cells at multiple locations and in multiple orientations). Even across the border of two “districts”. Fuel Cells vanished 100% of the time after approximately 100-105 m.

The Gas Tanks are a little bit less consistent.

One time the Gas Tanks disappeared from the scoped view at 467 m. but reappeared when moving a few steps closer.
After 484 m. and walking closer again it did not reappear in the scoped view and had actually disappeared from the world.

Another time I saw a Compressed Air Tank vanish at 473 m. whilst the Explosive Gas Tank next to it stayed visible to 496 m. Walking back closer made the Compressed Air Tank reappear. Walking to a distance of 526 m. and back closer again made them both reappear again.

Yet another time I saw the Explosive Gas Tank still through the scope (can’t remember the exact distance but far away) but after unscoping and rescoping it had vanished.

In an earlier test (before the august 2019 patch) I saw an Explosive Gas Tank vanish after a much greater distance of 600 m. (Although that could be a miscalculation on my part).

Fast Travel tests

The first couple of tests were done at Safehouse Anl 144 Vidsele with some time in between. They seem to confirm the “distance rule”. But when changing the starting location (test 4 and 5) this became quite different.

Test 1

From (and back to) Safehouse Anl 144 Vidsele (-2676, 1795).

Placed just outside spawn area in hangar:

• Large Fuel Cell
  • Explosive Gas Tank
  • Compressed Air Tank
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Camp (-3119, 2052). Distance: 445 m.

Remaining:

• Explosive Gas Tank
  • Compressed Air Tank
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Sandbo (-2379, 1369). Distance: 509 m.
To Safehouse Klinte (-4413, -723). Distance: 3.06 km.

Remaining:

• 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Salthamn (-2022, 3127). Distance: 4.88 km. Remaining:

• Nothing

Test 2

Placed just outside hangar:

• Small Fuel Cell
  • Explosive Gas Tank
  • Large EMP Cell
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Sandbo (-2379, 1369). Distance: 476 m.
To Safehouse Camp (-3119, 2052). Distance: 480 m.

Remaining:

• Explosive Gas Tank
  • Large EMP Cell
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Knaperänna Farm (-1781, 2126). Distance: 939 m.
To Safehouse Närkudden (-5317, 666). Distance: 2.89 km.

Remaining:

• Large EMP Cell
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Yttervik (-678, 2916). Distance: 6.79 km.

Remaining:

• Nothing

Test 3

Placed just outside of spawn area inside hangar:

• Small Fuel Cell
  • Large Fuel Cell
  • Explosive Gas Tank
  • Compressed Air Tank
  • Large EMP Cell
  • Car Battery EMP
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Sandbo (-2379, 1369). Distance: 509 m.
To Safehouse Hinsevik Pier (-1707, 2599). Distance: 1.27 km.
To Safehouse Saltholmen Church (-172, 2774). Distance: 2.99 km.

Remaining:

• Large EMP Cell
  • Car Battery EMP
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Yttervik (-678, 2916). Distance: 6.79 km.

Remaining:

• Nothing

Test 4

From (and back to) Safehouse Yttervik (-678, 2916).

Placed in the grass just outside front door:

• Small Fuel Cell
  • Large Fuel Cell
  • Explosive Gas Tank
  • Compressed Air Tank
  • Large EMP Cell
  • Car Battery EMP
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Iboholmen Church (3606, 2339). Distance: 534 m.

Remaining:

• Explosive Gas Tank
  • Compressed Air Tank
  • Large EMP Cell
  • Car Battery EMP
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Stenhaga Farm (2719, 2520). Distance: 1.43 km.
To Safehouse Salthamn (-1998, 3129). Distance: 2.29 km.

Remaining:

• Large EMP Cell
  • Car Battery EMP
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Hästvik (526, 3647). Distance: 3.88 km.

Remaining:

• Nothing

Test 5

From (and back to) Safehouse Hisingafyren (-5663, 4534).

Placed on top of the lighthouse (where you spawn):

• Small Fuel Cell
  • Large Fuel Cell
  • Explosive Gas Tank
  • Compressed Air Tank
  • Large EMP Cell
  • Car Battery EMP
  • Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Lysehamn (-5079, 4573). Distance: 586 m.
To Safehouse Torsberga Fort (-4274, 4499). Distance: 1.38 km.
To Safehouse Tokeröd Farm (-3959, 4197). Distance: 1.73 km.
To Safehouse Sillavik (-3280, 3438). Distance: 2.64 km.

Remaining:

• Ammo Pack
  • 2x Land Mine

To Safehouse Ännatorp (-2346, 3444). Distance: 3.49 km.

Remaining:

• Nothing

4 Likes

The ranges seem to be affected if you are host or guest in MP as well. Seen things disappear when turning 180 degrees and back sometime

I might actually have had something like that happen last night in single player as well. In all the chaos (at the woodcutters camp) I planted some explosive (can’t remember which) in between a couple of hunters and just seconds later, at the moment I turned towards it again, I think I saw it disappear in my peripheral view as it just entered the screen.

But since it was a hilariously chaotic situation in a very narrow space, I can’t be sure. It could just as easily have been some visual effect or glitch (maybe even produced by my own brain). I couldn’t find it afterwards but -of course- the grenades, bullets and those delayed explosive rounds were pouring down like rain so that doesn’t say anything. Unfortunately I wasn’t recording.

Can it be related to some kind of garbage collection process when a object limit is reached? I see it more often when there is a lot of action or post a lot off action

1 Like

That’s a very plausible cause. Who knows. Hopefully the developers :crazy_face:

Edit: Never mind the rambling …