Warehousing mini-game / endless inventory

New poster, been playing GZ solo as my main game for a few months as a result of it being on Xbox Gamepass. I love wandering the world, seeing the sights, exploring etc. Also, the combat in the open world is fantastic - the progress from feeling super-vulnerable & scared at the start of the story, to joyously destructive by the time you have experimental-grade weapons is a delight.

I haven’t bought any DLC, but as I often do with Gamepass titles, I’m tempted to buy the game and DLC so I can keep playing if / when it leaves Gamepass.

And there we come to the problem - right now, my inventory chest is full, my recycling bench is full, and my character’s encumberence is almost full. I’m kind of stuck, unable to really do much, because I’m out of space to juggle stuff about.

Sure, I could just start ditching stuff to free up space, but that’s the thing - collecting, sorting and hoarding IS the game for me. I’m not interested in playing a suffering simulator, and experiencing realistic hardship - the combat is fun and all, but hunting, looting and storing is (I’ve discovered during play) my catnip in this game. That’s what makes the game fun for me.

I’ve tried playing the base attack, and base defence mini games within the world, and when I look back at them, I just don’t have fun playing them. I find them frustrating, aggravating, and sadly a net-negative in terms of spending minutes of my life on something.

So, my request / feedback is for something similar to the base attack / defence mini games, provide a warehouse we can use for the purpose of simply getting that OCD dopamine fix of sorting, categorising and storing stuff.

If I want to have a million rounds of ammunition, or a mountain of tungsten, for no reason other than it makes me happy to have that, the game, the thing I’m supposed to buy to make me happier than I would be without it, should let me do that.

So yes, if there’s some technical reason why it’s utterly unthinkable to simply remove the weight limits on the recycling bench and storage box, then please consider a mini-game that caters to the OCD collector gamer, in the same way base attack, and base defence cater to folks who enjoy those type of games.

Thanks, :pray:

2 Likes

Use a pack mule to store excessive inventory. A pack mule is a character that its only purpose is storage.

Make a character and switch to it when you want to do inventory control. When ready to “play” again, switch back to your standard game character.

Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes I wish we could send some newer players back to the beginning of the game.
Where there didn’t was any storage.
Or at least where we just had a plundra with 100kg of space.

It’s a topic which is almost the same as the character - level topic.

We once where limited to lvl 31. People weren’t satisfied and wanted more. Now there is no limitation (well, lvl 10.000 quite is like no limit) and don’t like it.

The game began, like said above, with no space and later with quite limites space. It was part of the game to manage your stuff you need to fight through the story and to survive.

But that’s not what some players wanted to. They just wanted more space… Not to have more possibilities to play the game as intended, but to hoard everything.

We became able to upgrade all storages (not just because of the requests, but because of the way the dlc weapons are provided) … And now it’s still not enough.

Some use mules…
But I say that’s like cheating, as it is not intended in my eyes. But for what do they do that? I don’t know.
Try to accept the given limits and manage your stuff. That’s a challenge the game originally offered. It doesn’t always have to be more of everything if it’s not part the games idea.

I’m just going fine with that. For every game for about 30 years now. And if I miss something, I look for other games that fullfill my demands.

just my opinion

I enjoyed reading your request. It made me smile once in a while in a positive way. Do I understand correctly that you want some sort off Mega Kundsam-like warehouse that is actually a game in the base game itself?

Most players have been asking for a very long time for a New island DLC, and they are still waiting. For some reason the studio is not ready for such a commitment. Budget, Small team, Shrinking playebase you named it. But a “New island DLC” has a lot of requests, and I heard about your minigame today for the first time. Needless to say that your chances of getting your wish are practically zero.

Even our chances for a New island DLC, are minimal to say the least. :coffee:

1 Like

Hoarder’s warehouse huh? Question is, what happens when that gets full?

That being said, I do like the idea of being able to have separate storage for separate items.
Some semblance of order instead of just dumping it all in the same box/workbench would
be cool to see.

3 Likes

Thanks, I understand that’s a sort of solution to the immediate problem, but it’s not the “this will keep me playing in a world that developers are trying to make a persistent long-term thing” solution that will get me & keep me buying DLCs

I found my joy in the game, and it’s Becoming The Hoard Lord Of The Post-Singularity. I want to fill a bunker with rooms containing enough weapons, ammunition and materials to equip a whole army myself.

That’s how I would like to imagine myself, and play in that world - the Scavenger-Quartermaster, perhaps as a path to equipping resistance groups / missions etc.

1 Like

I just could imagine some additional uses for weapons (or not depletables).

On one hand there could be a rack for the collectors of us. A rack where you can place one of each weapon and quality in.
There really could be a resistance warehouse which offers enough space (even for future weapons/dlc).

Maybe there could be some cool reward if you got every base game weapon in each quality.

Plus it would look cool.

On the other hand it would be nice to be able to support the resistance by bringing them every weapon and attachment you find. Drop them in a box and you get resistance-points for that.

Every sunday there could be an invoice of what you delivered and finally you get some reward for that.

Future idea:

With the resistance being a serious faction on the field besides of soviets and fnix, moving frontlines and a system that registeres captured/freed regions, this way of supporting the resistance could improve your factions score for a region, depending on where you delivered the weapons and attachments.

2 Likes

I totally get where you’re coming from. I find myself handing out exp guns to make space often. Mules all have spares so I can do this without fearing the loss. I’d love it if they added a gun locker or something along those lines that freed the weight they occupied up for ammo and other built objects.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just trying to think of a more creatively satisfying way for the devs to get around limited storage, without just making the recycling bench and box infinite in size.

I’ve been fairly close to the development of Unpacking a game about literally unpacking someone’s possessions as they move into a new apartment, and so the idea of (mini)games that creatively channel OCD tendencies has been on my mind. Also thinking about… can’t remember the name but it’s a WWI battle simulator that lets young kids with twitch reflexes play as FPS in the massive online battles, while older, slower, but perhaps more strategically experienced players can direct strategy and supplies with something more like an RTS gameplay, but it’s all in the one match.

One option could be as simple as spawning a shipping container in a bunker, and inside are a bunch of boxes, and you could fill each with an arbitrary type of thing… but perhaps you’d have to go there to access it, rather than it being in every safe house.

2 Likes

Once you’ve done the war board in each of the bunkers, what role do the play going forward (do they? I don’t know)?

Like the way FNIX Uprising (I think) lead to these base assault and defence games-within-the-game, perhaps converting the bunkers into resistance storehouses, and stocking them up could be another game aspect, to give the hoarder tendency a game for their interests.

1 Like

Not a terrible thing for the devs to consider. The bunker doesn’t have a major use that I’ve noticed maybe a different arc similar to base def could become an aspect like you described in the future. I think it’d be an awesome way to increase the inv capacity without just arbitrarily making it infinite. There could be a leveling increase of inventory for each mission per bunker so on and so forth. Be a neat expansion.

1 Like

The resistance support was one of my ‘coping’ mechanisms for quite some time - every time I found a yellow or exp gun I already had, or attachments of similar rarity, I dropped them off at Björntunet Hotel. Couldn’t trade them with other players (when playing an older version it is permanently locked to single player offline mode), didn’t just want to dump them unceremoniously, so I made it a mission to get them to the cellar to bolster their resources. Trading them in for a certain amount of ammo or medkits, or maybe for some hard-to-unlock clothes, camo or other items might be a worthwhile addition, even if I won’t get to play it anyways.

While I love the idea of another thing to build and play around with, especially one that leads towards the goal of restoring civilization of some sort, I believe that the real issue here is there aren’t enough MEANINGFUL things in the game to spend your resources on to keep you in that zone of needing to collect so that you always feel that you might be verging on having too much or diving into not having enough.

Right now I can say that because base building is where it is, I have WAY TOO MUCH CEMENT (nearly 6000 units) and I just keep collecting it automatically with every 7 BASE ASSAULT MISSION DAY. 30-ish units per assault. 200+ units on a cursed assault day. It adds up quicker than I can use it to repair on 5 repair defense days.

Basically, they don’t have enough to do with the storage in the game, and what they do have generates more stock than you can conceivably need to use through normal game play. The balance is off, and gameplay suffers for it.

I have a similar problem with ammo. I always get the wrong kinds, which should say collect, recycle and reforge into what I do need. But recycle reclaims half of the resources used to make, so I’m only building out half the ammo I collect in the field. Well, how the h*** do I forge half a bullet? I get drops of 1 or 2 bullets off low level runners, which means a lot of killing, a lot more high level ammo being used which can’t be replenished quickly and efficiently, and a lot of storage juggling. Also, why are runners carrying ammo for guns they aren’t equipped with?

So my solution to this issue:

1. Adjust the loot drop tables to only include the ammo for weapons that robots actually carry. Harvesters can carry anything because they collect everything, but they almost never carry any useful ammo, so this needs to be adjusted, too. If a hunter has a snipper cannon, then they should drop .50 cal. Gun Runners should be dropping .32 and 9mm Handgun. Shotty Runners should be carrying shotgun ammo, period. Yes, Rocket runners can carry any kind of grenade/rocket ammo.
  2. Ammo types not used by robots should be found in ammo crates exclusively.
  3. Materials can stay as they are on drops from robots because we know what materials we want and picking them up or not is our choice as players. This one doesn’t need to be curated.
  4. It’s the 80’s, man! Learn to recycle properly. Give us all of our resources back. We’ve spent the entire decade not wasting what we have. Show some respect in the game.
  5. We need more things to build/do at our bases. Maybe some maintenance or a resource dump that Resistance members working at the base can use to keep things maintained, so we can swing by, dump off some supplies, and the base get boosted up for our next defense mission. This resource stockpile should be different for each base and separate from our own recycling storage. It will give us a reason to visit our bases regularly, and check on the condition, as well as potentially some NPCs to interact with. (YES, WE NEED NPCS TO INTERACT WITH. MYOF ONLY GOES SO FAR.)
  6. We need to be able to automate some of this process. Let us mark things we don’t need so that they’re automatically recycled when we open the recycling station. Automatically store resources that you’ve collected in the storage, too, instead of forcing an additional button press. No, I didn’t just access the recycling station for S&G, why do you ask?
  7. Buildable Companion Stations for Resistance Bases (that should have been included with the Companion rollout, BTW, WFT guys?) when?
  8. I have over 2700 Command Tokens. Give me something to spend them on. I’d really like to be able to augment my base. You know, spend tokens to build it up to higher levels, nicer looking stations/walls/bunkers/etc, and access to new types of things (not just what I bought in your DLCs). I’d rather have the ability to improve my bases than a stockpile of Command Tokens I’ll never use. They’re like potions in normal RPGs, I just don’t use them. At least I use medkits here, but only because they don’t disrupt he flow of combat heavily.

Yeah, that’s a bit of a list to go through. I’ll leave a few items off until we get some feedback on this. KYO, guys.

1 Like

I’m just against the automation thing.
Well, and the 1:1 recycling. It’s the 80s and even nowadays it’s no possible to recycle everything that way… Or least not just with a simple recycling bench.

I’m not asking for Factorio, just anything I’ve taken the time to mark as junk to be auto-recycled when I’m using a recycling station, after the resources I’m carrying are dumped into the resource bin by accessing the station. These aren’t big asks and they are time and effort saving QoL improvements. Plus, its an opt-in system, meaning nothing is recycled if you don’t mark it as a junk. But resources being auto-dumped into the Resource Storage should be a no-brainer. What sort of goblin are you to object to something that basic? :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see an argument against the full recycling, so I won’t push too hard on that, but 50% is a low threshold. A lot of what you get back isn’t enough to do anything with for the amounts you’re able to loot in the field. If they’re going to drop less than the current minimum amount for recycling, they need to change the minimal limit on all ammo, at least, to 1. I won’t push back on the 50% conversion rate if I can recycle every last bullet I don’t need so I can make the ones I do. Is that better?

C’mon. If there is a single bullet that I’m currently not able to recycle (if I wish to), I put it into the plundra or throw it away.

That’s what I always did with simple first aid kits.

They already reduced the needed amount a lot compared to before!

MORE! I want more, you gremlin. Seriously, I should be able to recycle a single bullet, even for one Explosive and none of the metal. I get enough lead and steel in the field that I’m already tossing it out regularly when I store more than 3500 units. I was capping myself at 4000, but even that was more than I used on a regular basis. I might cap myself down to 3000. (Are you guys paying attention? We have more resources than we can use, which means you’re not giving us enough to spend them on)

Also, you throw away first aid kits? My god, I have first aid bunkers in every base and a medic runner so I don’t have to carry them, and I still keep a few on me so I can emergency heal in case Commander Cyber Jackal isn’t nearby me to heal me. Seriously, since First Aid Stations became a thing, I haven’t had an excuse to toss any medkits.

No, I recycled them to become able to craft better ones. That came from the time where thread was the new gold.

Btw, new gold… For me indeed currently is steel the new gold. It’s quite rare for me.

You get steel off Tattletales and Hunters. I get tons, particularly on Cursed Days.

I had the same stockage problem at first, because I used to take everything I found.
Now, I just take the ammo I use, the medium/advanced first aid and adrenaline.

I leave mostly everthing else. (depending of my bases needs)
And if I find myself with too much ammo, I go raid some tanks, firebirds etc… :smiley:

1 Like