What happened to GZ?

Here are some things that i think have/is (or ideas that could) ruining the game
English is not my first language

1. All of the community requests:
    Why do people want so strange stuff in the game? Here are some exampels of what i mean: Black powder weapons, magic drinks, helicopters at your base, weapns that didnt exist in sweden at that time, a flying fortress for the machines. Is this what you want in a game that takes place in Sweden 1989-1990 with mystical 80s ambience and feelings. And also not to forget bows and arrows, this is not in the middle ages. And no offense to the American players but why is does many of you want American forces in the game? i have met people who wants America to “save” the day. No this isnt a typical fps and we Swedes could easily do this ourselvs. And i feels the same way about the russians.
    Well that was that and please respect my opinion.
15 Likes

Some of the things you mentioned I havent heard about like magic drinks. But I do very much agree with you on this. Not sure if you’ve read the poll thread and my long ass comment where I talk about some examples. Dont feel like writing another wall of text so read that if you dont get what I mean. Aaanyway, I strongly belive that Generation Zero has or is at least about to lose what made it uniqe. The setting and tone. The game advertiset itselft as something dark and serious and that (aside from the cheesy dialouge) was proven during Alpine Unrest. Unlike the main game, Himfjäll doesn’t suffer from the fix it later mentality.

However due to the fix-it later stuff, features just come out as the bare minimum and that has pilled up to become oversaturated mediocrity. Generation Zero didn’t offically release as an early acces game but I’m having a hard time trying to view the base game as a finished product. The weapon packs, rivals, exp guns, crafting and defense building are all cool ideas in concept. But they kinda just exist. Weapons packs especially would make one think big things in the lore are happening. BUT NO, it’s all behind the scenes and even the game acts as if it never happends. Stuff just magically teleports to the plundra.

There’s no real effort in creating cohesion with the story and the gameplay anymore. And that’s a shame because Sweden is heavily underused as a setting. Sure there’s games with nordic and scandinaavian insperation but every so rarely is just Sweden used. With the game adding a second American weapon pack something tells me the US is getting more involved. Witch I think is dumb cause they are so overused (no offense to the American players) it’s so damn boring. I’ve stopped playing Generation Zero and deleted it from my pc, but still sorta hang around the forums in hoping that maybe one day the game can realize it’s intiall vision and be a good game that’s not just about mindless grinding.

6 Likes

Dont’t blame the community for beeing wierd. There will always be people who asks for the most ridiculous things.

Blame the Product owner for deciding what they will and wont put in the game.

Blame the team (and po) for not testing properly.

This game had so much potential.

4 Likes

It still has the potential. The problem has already been mentioned here, namely the opinion that it is a full-fledged game and not a game preview. But it takes time to improve and expand the game with a small development studio. In addition the problem of fixing it for all platforms. This game was originally intended for PC.

1 Like

Did I miss something or is the latest Letter from the team from July the 16th?

Are they cooking new stuff or why the silence?

1 Like

There was a short letter addressing the Xbox update situation around 2 and a half weeks ago.

Same thing with all the suggestions for the terminator in gen z. Like fr a robot that literally take no damage, can teleport anywhere, and look like anything, really you want that? IN A GAME WHERE IT WOULDN’T MAKE ANY SENSE.

1 Like

I believe GZ’s story is that of people taking back their home from evil machines seeking to kick them out of it. As an American, I can happily say the Americans, Russians, and anyone else, should stay out of this story as much as possible, beyond the quickly defeated groups we’ve already seen. It’s not their story.

That said, I think some of the strange requests you see around this game come from the fact it’s hard to really tell what type of game it’s supposed to be. it’s got elements of many genres but commits to none.

Ultimately Generation Zero is flawed because it is set in a static world. You get safehouses in enemy territory, but never claim any of that territory as your own, never really push the machines back, or make a dent in their numbers. The safehouses and bunkers you clear are left unmanned by the supposed resistance always going on just outside your sight.

Avalanche has done in incredible job establishing the setting of the game, and committing to the world building around it, but that same commitment can’t be said for the game’s direction. that lack of direction, in features, story, ect., is where all the strange requests are coming from, because it’s left player expectations all over the map.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say the game is flawed, but it is an unusual format. Even though we been playing the game for almost three years, the main timeline of the story is just in its beginning. Cataclysm day fell on November 10th, 1989, and we are now in late December 1989 when FNIX Rising took place. So storywise only between 46 and 49 days have past. There a lot of time to come to claim parts of territory and make some wins on the machines that stick. I don’t know how the devs will proceed the timeline to 1990. But I guess that is going to happen, probably when they open up the path to the island north of Himfjäll.

The perfect quote to describe the development cycle of this game

3 Likes

I agree baduser name, this game is perfect.

3 Likes

100% agree, i sure do miss the old gz feeling/aesthetic

3 Likes

ah yes, the good ol cherry picking of words.

1 Like

It’s a reply for a quote that was cherry-picked. So there’s a bit of irony involved.

2 Likes