Why are mods not allowed (Answer from Dev preferred)

Do every game need modding? it sounds like people like the game as it is

We don’t. We need mods as much as we need Generation Zero, we don’t.

Yep you are right, you get it! It is fun, and that is the point of games, to be fun and entertaining.
Frankly speaking, if adding a mod to your game makes you forget the story that is more of per person problem. Plus if you want to focus on the story and not get disctracted by mods which you know will happen to youm, then do not install mods.

This segues into a thought I had. The problem with reality is that not everyone can have what they want all at the same time. The great thing about games is we can change the reality of them, its what makes games possible.

The only difference between a vehichle added by mods, and one added by the devs is the creator.
Sure, the devs may be more likely to “fit” it into the game. But a modder could do the same. From what I have seen a lot of stuff made by the devs does not “fit” now, weapon pack lore, base building, etc. That however is a different argument.

The game is built on player feedback. This is one of the core features on the website it self. So a lot of features are built on what people want right. So what is the problem of allowing people to add what they want to their own game?

Here is an example:
Let’s say I add a M1911 handgun into the game through a mod. I write a little story on the website. I give you a 3c version in your plundra and then put the rest of them as machine drops.

This should be familar to you seen as this is the exact way both dlc weapon packs are done.

But some people seem to think it will somehow ruin the story and game more than if the devs did it.

How?

Most mods will not give lore or reason sure. The good thing about that is you can take said mod, modify it it and add lore, then use it. Or just install imods that have said things in them.

Everyome seems to think mods = sandbox wacky stuff.

2 Likes

No.

You need to explore the forums more. There are many threads asking for changes to be made. The good thing about modding is that if a certain feature added by a mod is just not balanced properly or does not fit into the game, you do not have to use it.

1 Like

But what if the devs does not want to add more vehicles? What should I do then? If I’m not allowed to mod it in cus it will “ruin the game” then I guess i’m all out of options.
Thats the reason to why modding exists, You can forge the game into what you want it to be. Cus not everyone can be 100% happy with everything the devs add or do not add. Modding helps solve that problem quite alot.

1 Like

Oh my god, this thread is really going to make me headaches.

It’s like I said before: endless discussion…

Yes, I don’t have to read it, I don’t have to answer.
But vice versa you don’t have to play the game if you don’t like it as it is. You don’t have to spent your money and then argue that this game isn’t what you wanted and therefore you have to change (mod) it by yourself.

Modding-capabilities in games for sure have multiple reasons. One reason can be no interest of devs/publishers in expanding or even supporting their game. Some reasons are founded by the engine/game architecture used and some will just be that no one (devs/publishers) wants the game just being related to some good or bad mods. They maybe want to create a good IP with a unique style… And that won’t be possible if there are tons of mods which add the same dumb stuff as in millions of other games.

With modding-capabilities most users don’t think about the game itself but about how to change it. That’s sad.

Respect the devs work, respect the rules, write down your own ideas as feature requests or turn away and search the game you like to play or to change.

1 Like

In GZ I only use cosmetic mods which remove some unwanted graphical “features”.

I let the aweful Chromatic Abberation be gone because me as a human with organic eyes have no CA, that doesn’t make sense but almost every game has this ludicrous “feature”. Then I remove the Unsharpen effect of things in the distance. This is another thing that doesn’t make sense in a shooter. When I want to look in the distance I cannot focus on it because the game has it smeered out.

The game mechanic stays as it is. I don’t want any changes to it. The devs decided to have storage and carrying limits and that makes for a welcome challenge. Without it you just hoard and the game becomes bleak. Give the player all the perks doesn’t even make less sense to me. Why do you need them all? For testing purposes maybe since skill points are pretty rare and you cannot undo them, but not as a constant feature.

1 Like

Only speaking for myself now, in my case I spent money on a game that had a tone, atmosphere and gameplay that I really liked plus some more stuff. Overtime those things that I think made GZ unique is slowly getting removed or becoming something else. Now if this was an early access game then I’d think “fine this is part of that early access deal, things are bound to change”. The funny part is that GZ isn’t advertised as an early access game. Yet there has been changes to the games meta and how it is played. For some that is good and for some that isn’t.

On top of that GZ doesn’t have a clear roadmap, we don’t really know what’s coming in the future and that includes features that are still considered “fix it later” such as homebase and prestige points. In my opinion recent changes to the game feels more like chasing trends rather than doing something unique like the game initially was.

Mods are still optional. If anything mods just shows what people really like. What makes them dumb to you?

Not really, if anything it can further improve the gameplay experience. Let’s take Fallout New Vegas as an example. Obsidan who got the opportunity to license the IP from Bethesda had about 18 months of development, the game was praised for it’s writing and RPG systems but launched in a massively buggy state. Despite patches, it’s still recommended that people use mods to improve stability. If modding wasn’t allowed for that game would it sell well? A game filled with passion ruined because Obsidain were given short time and a buggy messy engine to work off. Then of course there is mods that are more visual like adding wheater effects, color grading etc etc to increase immersion in the game’s world

Even if that is done, it’s never guaranteed to happen. And that’s a given because they cant listen to everyone and in the end the game would become a mess with random stuff that doesn’t make sense. Mods give people the opportunity to add stuff in the game that they want without. It doesn’t hurt the game at all. They can only stand to benefit with more sold copies.

Edit: forgot to mention, one thing that should be an feature is a longer FOV slider. Right now it goes up to max 85 witch for some isn’t a lot, games nowadays push to around 120. I can play on 85 without feeling sick but for some that will be a problem.

2 Likes

mod support would be epic.

modders are already doing a great job creating cool mods sugested by others (without mod support). Sooo

5 Likes

Guys… The author of this topic clearly wanted an explanation from someone from the dev team about mods being not allowed by EULA and forum rules.

As for now we have 30 offtopic replies, mostly about how modding makes games better (with that I agree, but ONLY for single player games).

2 Likes

This is true but I do enjoy debate. As for the point yes I did, but I also wanted to discuss those reasons. I could have been clearer.

Alright I am going to clean this up a bit. I will take a reponse/argument/point against mods and I will respond to each. This way no confusion happens.

I will also use examples to illustrate thoughts and such.

It would be beneficial if anybody responding to me does the same.

You are correct. I can go play another game I enjoy. It would probably be more enjoyable than this.
In fact I have been playing GZ less and less because of low content, spare patches, and overall built up frustration with features. I am sure some of this will be remedied by the dev team coming in with patches and such. The issue is the dev team will not do everything or fix everything, thati just a fact. Thing is, I like the game. I enjoyed it so much and played it for hours upon hours, not even including the time I spent talking about the game. Just because I dislike some of the ways things are done does not mean I will just leave because the devs will not do it.

You are right, we do not have to spend our time debating this. Nor de we “have” to modify it. I would be perfectly fine waiting for the next patch. No one here “needs” anything. No one is arguing that.

The fact that no one “has” to do anything does not change anything.

Not to mention the game IS what I wanted. I very much enjoyed the concept of the game and loved playing it. The thing is no game is 100% perfect for anyone. I (and many others) just happen to think a lot of the choices and decisions with this game are just not “satisfcatory” at all. EX: inv sorting, weapon balancing, skill balancing, bugs. We have been giving feedback to these for ages and no changes have happened.

All of these have been problems for ages and I have seen modders solve a good chunk in a couple weeks. Of course that is because they are just focusing on one thing, but the means does not matter here. If I can imrprove the sorting now, no one would be able to tell if a dev or modder did it just by looking at it.

This is a good point. Problem is anyone who wants to create a “bad” mod will do it anyways. Even if say, we had steam workshop and carni moderated it everday, people would just use them in private. Theses “bad” mods will be dsicussed in “private” places just like any ol’ mod is now.

Generation Zero is a unique game, I will give anyone that. The thing about GZ is that it is built upon what people want, we are told this over and over. The only difference between a modded gun and a dev added one is that a bunch of people asked for the latter, while only some few wanted the former. Or even they were both very highly requested but the devs just went with one, which is perfectly fine.

Many people here would agree a lot of GZ’s “unqiueness” has been lost due to no grand plan and just listening to the loudest. A bunch of “dumb stuff” that is in other games has already been added by the devs themselves. We can just take a quick look at the forum threads and many others agree. I myself think the problem is not that said mechanics were added, I just htink they were added poorly. That however, is a discussion for different thread.

I would say most users now think about hwo to change the game to make it better.
I see new people joining the discord every day talking about adding this or that to make it more fun or cool or difficult. I see many “veterans” doing the same. People already think about how to change the game to make it ever so slightly better in their eyes. Most people know modding exists already too, so making it more possible/allowed would rarely change what is already going on. Even being “banned” I still see people using and making them. The reason they even talk about the game is because they like it. Everyone here enjoys or enjoyed the game actively.

Do you want to know why people want to mod the game? They could just go make their own game if they really wanted to. The reason they want to modify the game is because they like the game. They like it so much they want to work on it creatively and share it with others. The idea that modding the game will make people appreciate the dev’s work less is just not sound.

Look at darksouls. There are so many mods to that game. Yet I only hear about how great the game is, how the gameplay and difficulty come together and make a masterpiece. This is only proof that if people like your game enough the mdos for it will not overshadow it.

I do respect the devs work. If I started modding nothing about my ideas of the devs would change.

For the most part I do respect the rules, except for one obviously. A lot of people are hung up on that instead of the mods.

Me and others have already requested and given feedback to all the things I can think of. Alll I am seeing is nothing actuallyb e done with said requests for months. This is fine, they can do what they want. With mods though, we could just do it ourselves. These are not even “wacky” things. These are popular ideas that change gameplay to be better. Skill rebalancing, weapon rebalancing, inv sorting, etc.

As for a game I would like to play or change, it would be Generation Zero.

2 Likes

michael pls fixer game man pls, good talk :+1:

4 Likes

I hope everyone chose the correct answer and voted for mod support.

Maybe the discussion will soon no longer be prohibted. And people might actually find a good reason to dislike mods.

4 Likes

I really can’t remember if I voted for mod support, but probably not if there were other choices that I would have preferred more. I had of course my own wishes to push. :cowboy_hat_face:

I am however not against modding if that means that people are making new maps with their own version of the game, whatever that may be.
I have played many mods of Half-life in the day when they were plenty. And there were some real little gems among them that I really enjoyed.
But this kind of mods (or parts of ) should never be able to cross over to, or contaminate :mask: the original game via multiplayer gaming. That would be bad.

I saw a mod of GZ where people were the ammo. That must have been made without any support and permission?

Banned from talking about it? Wow. That is the dumbest rule. Sounds like a spoiled brat who whines if no one does exactly as they say. I can get not allowing mauds. Personally I think it’s stupid that they don’t. But it is their game. But actually threatening to discipline people just for discussing it? That’s ridiculous. Thank God whoever made that rule isn’t in government.

You don’t get banned or suffer any disciplinary action for talking about mods in general. Otherwise there’d be a lot of banned people in this thread.

I’ve stated a number of reasons above why it’s not common talk on the forums;

4 Likes

" no favors are done by calling these rules dumb.
So keep that in mind if this thread is to remain open."
The obvious threat of censorship of discussion is alarming. In no way should opinions be objected to blackmail of a thread being taken down when what is being said is a light-hearted personal anecdote. Dumb is elementary language, if such words can incite censorship then it’s a seriously intense grip the mods/devs have on open discussion…

Ok, let’s stop talking about forum rules, their sense and how it is granted that everyone follows the rules. Ok?

Quick answer from my point of view to the topic:

We don’t exactly know. And I guess even the devs don’t exactly know. They don’t make the EULA. They just make and support the game.
Anything else is just guessing and just food for those who like to provoke.

As the question is answered as good as possible, the topic could be closed in my eyes.

2 Likes

I think that this is simply forbidden because the developers would then have to take the individual mods into account with every update and with this game here, there are already enough bugs that keep appearing whether they are already old ( e.g. the Fmtel problems) or only be imported with a new update or the one with the command tokens or the construction problems at some resistance bases where the whole save is ruined.
Maybe that’s the reason the developers don’t tolerate mods.
I’m not an IT expert, that’s my thoughts on it.

3 Likes

Just follow the forum rules like everybody else and we won’t have any problems.

If you feel I’m acting unjust or have opinions about my moderating, you’re welcome to contact Systemic Reaction about it. Like @Avalanche_Pontus, or @SR_Carni.

But this isn’t what the topic is about, so as @Madchaser said let’s drop it.

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. Well said.
You also void support if you disregard the EULA, which is an unfortunate side-effect of modding.
I’m a big advocate for mods in games, but it’s reasonable to see why some
games don’t allow them.

4 Likes

Nah.

Or the modders just update the mods for every update, like most games.

It has been working for years.

Allowing the discussion of mods takes exactly zero development work.

1 Like