Will I still be able to play multiplayer after development ends?

Don’t know where to put this exactly
This is a Steam post.

Attn: carni, dev

About your quote below, does it mean if GenZ is no longer being developed and all server or any semblance of it removed and is pulled off the Steam store, that people who bought the game on Steam can still play multiplayer with friends and find and join others as usual as if nothing had changed.

If this is accurate, this is actually a very good selling point.

And if there are preconditions, what are they?

Originally posted by SR_Carni:

There are no servers for Generation Zero, it uses Peer 2 peer matchmaking meaning whoever hosts a session acts as the server. This means that once we decide to stop development on GZ, you’ll still be able to play it, even with friends.

I am raising this issue in reaction to this thread, as someone interpreted you quote as I mentioned above.

@SR_Carni
Does this also count for fmtel and procedual missions?
I thought they would be provided by a server or at least need a connected apex connect account.

I’m pretty sure there is a server backend for the FMTEL missions at least… :thinking:

I hope that you guys realise that by discussing these vicious rumours spread by reviewbombers, is only adding to killing this great game, because negativity is the great killer. If you do not want the game to end, it’s better to promote it by showing how much you love it. :coffee:

2 Likes

To complete the quote, which the Steam poster, did not include to limit the possibilities of going out of bounds. Here is the additional part:

The only things you would lose access to at that time are Apex Connect related features like Assignments.
That being said, there are no plans for stopping development at this time.

The post is seeking clarification about the quote nothing else.

I guess. But if you had read more posts, and I see above that now you did, you would have seen that there are no plans to stop developing GZ at this moment. And when GZ someday stops development, the game can still be played p2p and solo, but loses the content where Apex connection is needed for.

The steam post was not asking whether GZ will be discontinued or not. It was asking whether multiplayer can be played as usual should the development is stopped, any server or semblance of it removed and (the key point) when the game is pulled off from Steam store.

On steam there are interpretations that once it is no longer sold on on Steam, its service of linking, sending and accepting invites and finding host and guests in public will no longer be available.

So instead of speculating the post is asking for clarification.

Does this not answer the question?

No. Because before a host is found there must a way the player can see each other and this one is interpreted as the Steam platform connection. Without this connection player will not be able to find anyone.

Carni can clarify.

I see. I don’t understand then why Carni is saying that that there are no servers for GZ. Maybe they use the Steam/Xbox/PS servers?

Ihere is an understanding that Genz is P2P while SE is server based. So totally different. This may be the specific thing that carni was clarifying. But again we are just speculating.

Was Carni’s quote taken out of a SE discussion?

The root post is titled " Rumour: Shutting Down?
What’s this rumour about GZ shutting down?"

It was clarified the Genz is not shutting down.

But there were similar posts about the misconception that Genz was shutting down even before the one I am referring at. This false idea, an honest misconception or being done on purpose, started popping out on Steam when SE was officially announced as shutting down.

There are no other preconditions. As long as you’re friends with someone, you can invite them to your game and play together. No servers or anything like it needed

I’ve also modified your thread’s title to make it more descriptive.

Glad you replied and thanks for modifying the title.

So mp applies only on existing friends who can be invited via Steam chat or from inside the game, which will also goes in the Steam chat window. right? So this it how it will be even if the game is no longer sold on Steam?

yes, you can still invite friends who already own the game via steam if the game ever stops being sold

Can I quote your reply and post it on Steam, or you’d rather want to do it yourself.

I can do it, no worries