A case for vehicles Megathread (collective feature topic)

The “gas tanks” in the game are gas, as in propane, not gas, as in gasoline. And you can’t put propane in your car’s gas tank same as you’d put gasoline and expect your car to run the same.

If you replace the possible carry weight of a truck with armor plating weight, then truck is fine. However, Calle’s truck doesn’t seem to be that fine, indicating the armor plating weighed far more than the truck was capable of carrying, since it’s traveling slowly, slightly faster than player’s walk speed but slower than sprint speed.

You could, yes, but at what point the additional armor beats the purpose of having a moving vehicle?

E.g: :thinking:

• light armor kit - max top speed 30 km/h
    resistance against Runner submachine gun

• medium armor kit - max top speed 15 km/h
    resistance against Runner submachine gun + Hunter machine gun

• heavy armor kit - max top speed 5 km/h
    resistance against Runner submachine gun + Hunter machine gun + Tank autocannon

And by “resistance” i don’t mean “immunity”. Armor plating only reduces the incoming damage (makes vehicle to last longer before it blows up).

1 Like

Your not wrong about the gas tanks, however, there are actually cars that do, or can run on propane. So, its not impossible.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwimwNOk4YruAhWjp1kKHeEDAmgQFjACegQICBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fafdc.energy.gov%2Fvehicles%2Fpropane.html&usg=AOvVaw3aF1zY-akJY01KPbOWWZzc

It wouldnt be heavy if you used titanium. Of course, that is rare, but it could still be an option. Also, I dont beleive Calle said he was flooring it, unless im mistaken. So, he may have been able to go faster. Also, I would never put a plow on an armored car. The plow must have been a good few hundred pounds or so. Also, the truck was loaded with explosives, which, logically, we wouldnt be filling our cars/trucks with. C-4 is relativelly dence, and thats what was in the truck, so thats also more that wouldnt be weighing down the truck.

And one final thought- The angle of the armor plates can help shrug off bullets, rather than obsorb the blow directly, so they might be able to be lighter.

Ive never been able to hold off “dozens of tanks at one time without dying.” So, although I completelly agree that the machine AI totally should be upgraded…like,a lot. But the charecters are sertanly far from OP.

Yes, there are conversion kits for gasoline engines to run on propane but i don’t think they were common in 80’s Sweden. Let alone your teen char knowing how to install one. And you can not make diesel engine (trucks) run off from propane (or LPG) alone.

For that, there’s a good term of: “git gud”. :joy:

Though, jokes aside, you can survive several tanks at once. Idea is:

• to keep moving at all times
  • heal yourself as soon as you drop below 50 HP, even if it interrupts your weapon reload
  • fight smart (e.g position one tank between you and another tank, so the tank furthest from you will have to shoot at the tank closest at you, helping you to take it down)
  • use cover (especially good when you need to reload, heal yourself or equip other weapons)
  • if you’re out in the open, take out tanks weapons 1st (6* .50 cal + AP ammo is fastest)

That’s what i do in my solo Guerilla game and i have no problems keeping myself alive during battle.

Experimental .50 cal and there is no need for any other weapon. :sunglasses: Even in solo Guerilla game.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advise, Ill have to try that next time im facing more than one at a time.

I cant argue with the fact that a random teen wouldnt nessisarily know how to do that. However, it could be a skill in the skill tree. Plus, in the game descrition, it does not say specifically that you dont know how to work on cars. Many schools taught things like shop back then, so its not impossible that a teen would be able to convert an engine.

Also, one very simple fix would be this- add different gas tanks. Deisel, and gasaline would not be that odd to find…especially since there are gas stations, and farms. I live on a farm, so I should know, theres always gas. And often times, farms use deisel as well. So saying that there isnt any gas avilable, especially since propane technically can be used, isnt a viable reason.

Also, ingame, all it says is explosive gas tank. you can say its propane, but as far as the game is concerned, its turpintine, until you specify what it is specifically. So, why not just make it gasoline/deisel, to simplify what has to be done.

The Reaper has a propane attack, maybe something could be added to the skill tree to be able to syphon that from it to make an LPG car?

Skill that suits it the best, is Engineering specialization.

And it doesn’t specifically tell that player chars are able to swim or fly either. Yet, that lack of specificity doesn’t mean we need to have an ability to swim or fly.

I didn’t say that. All i did, was pointing out that the explosive gas tank contains most likely propane, since it is a pressure tank with pressure valve. You won’t be keeping gasoline or diesel fuel inside the pressure tank. Moreover, in-game description states:

Compressed gas tank containing explosive materials.
Will cause high levels of damage to its surroundings if destroyed.

For another fuel source, present in-game, are Fuel Cells, used and dropped by the machines.

However, since we don’t know what kind of fuel is exactly in Fuel Cells, it’s also unknown if these can be used to power the cars/trucks.

Though, that much we know that Apocalypse class fuel cells contain a lethal dose of radioactive material (it’s most likely some form of nuclear reactor) and once the pressure vessel is ruptured, green fluorescent liquid comes out, that kills anyone who has had contact with it fairly quickly, within seconds.

But for regular Fuel Cells, they may be miniature hydrogen fuel cells for all we know.

exp kvm59 + .50 + big medkit

I agree, we dont know whats in the fuel cells. But they could still be an option, if so desired. Besides, Ive seen harvesters in-game draining gas stations. And since histirically, the average gas station back then had only gasoline and deisel, its a high probability that all of the machines, (with an exception of the epoc class) are gasoline or deisel powered, since they were taking the gas bfore they made the generator. So, logically, they needed gas long before generators were in play.

Also, there are hydrogen powered care/trucks out there, just for the record.

Yes, FNIX collected liquid fuel but it’s unknown for what purpose. All we can guess, is that FNIX needed liquid fuel to power the gasoline/diesel generators that produced electricity for it’s manufacturing plant, and not to power the machines themselves.

The former is highly likely since after the humans were gone, there were no-one to refill the bunker generators gas tanks, so, FNIX had to do it on his own.

Yes, there are. But none of the hydrogen powered cars weren’t cost effective until early 2000’s (source). That wouldn’t make them fitting to the 80’s era of GZ.

It can be logically done without having to delve into adding fuel for the vehicles. Just have them around with a random amount of fuel in them from empty(common) tank to full(rare). (as that is probably how you would find them)

Once you are out of fuel, ditch the car and find a new one or make it a bomb time!

Vehicles can respawn on map reset by logging out as always, however fuel chance is reset as well.

I agree that the cars should come with a certin amount of base fuel, but why would it be so hard to find fuel? I mean, why can’t gas cans just be added in random places, such as barnes, garages, sheds, etc. Its not like all rescourses are in logical locations all the time, I once found .50 cal ammo in a bathroom, finding gas in a garage or shed is far from implausible.

Also, about the generators… If there so important, shouldnt they use different fuel, such as nuclear power, which you said is in the game to some degree. I mean, gas is ok, but there are better fuel sources…such as propane. Im just saying, it doesnt seem logical to use other resourss. In fact, plasma generators do exist now. I know they didnt in the 80’s, but its still s thought.

The maine point is, theres a lot of options of places to find gas. And a lot of gas options. So, I dont see how anybody can say that theres no gas.

The only thing in a car which would stop even a .32 would be the engine block. Anything else you can stick a screwdriver through! Any car is a bullet magnet - you might as well be sitting in a cardboard box.

1 Like

You do realize this is the 80’s right? Aint nobody driving a prius. Also, I say again… the idea is to put armor on the cars/trucks.

Also, another idea that was posted was to add mufflers with varying degrees of supression (like gun silencers) so bots dont notice you.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: What’s the problem with a Prius? Never had a more reliable car can this one.

Yeah, right. Like this would work. You would need an electric car for that. Like this one https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebring-Vanguard_Citicar

1 Like

Adding sound suppression muffler blocks the engine exhaust which in turn, reduces engine power. With heavy armored vehicle, you’d need all the power you can have + then some.

Even if we wouldn’t consider exhaust noise at all, there are still the running engine noise which muffler doesn’t mask.

Of course, vehicle engine sound isn’t the only sound vehicle produces. Tire sound is another big source of noise of vehicles.

Even if machines can’t hear the vehicle, they still can see it just fine, especially in IR view. Since engines output a lot of heat and it will be sticking out like a sore thumb.

If you want to get past machines without them noticing you, crouch or better yet, prone your way past them. Driving a loud vehicle attracts machines to you no matter what.

1 Like

K, so that entire website is in swedish, or something, so ill just take your word for it. But the car was looking pretty dope. Also, your wrong. Ive heard a lot of cars that are quiet with mufflers. Im not talking about a V 12 Lambo. So, my point is still valid for the cars. The trucks would obviously be louder, but, thats a risk that I think the player should be able to take. Like Ive stated before, the game literally revolves around danger, so not adding something to the game because it might be loud would detract from potential for fights, or possible traps. Also, the trucks being louder could be considered balancing since a lot of yall say the player is OP.