A case for vehicles Megathread (collective feature topic)

I feel the realistic thing to do would have been to find keys (if the keys are even available) to cars in random areas inside a house. Keys on the dining room table, in the den, in the bedroom, etc. Find keys, jump in car, and drive.

Each car would have its own level of fuel so each car would have different lengths of time the car would run out of fuel. And gas stations could have an override button somewhere around the cash register to allow the pumps to turn on to refuel a car.

Even if we couldn’t refuel a car, it would be nice to find keys somewhere in the house to then use the car parked in the driveway.

2 Likes

There are keys in game as mission items, however, all cars and trucks are inoperable despite they looking seemingly fine. Only one thing can do that and it’s powerful enough EMP. Latter fries any electronics and even if you have keys to a car, it wouldn’t make a difference.

1 Like

True, but one could argue if an EMP large enough to fry all car electronics, why do we have simple hand radios that work everywhere, TVs that are still on, computers that are still on, answering machines that are still on and able to playback, etc.

Plus, this is the 80s. Meaning we should easily see a few 10+ year old cars every once in a while that didn’t have electronics and ran off carburetors with mechanical fuel pumps and cars 15+ years old which had all mechanical distributors.

2 Likes

I would like to buy the game, but the game world is just to far to traverse over even with bikes, which are a bit naff, imo, why not bmx, etc, i have too many games to still play. It would be great if there was even a moped which even a teenager could be expected to be able to ride, The game is superlative at times, but one wonder who devs actually make some games for, surely the addition of a powered vehicle isn’t too much to ask.

3 Likes

First off, Sweden had a conscription based military and the events of the game happen in November. In all likelihood, this means that no tanker had more than three months of training.
Also, judging by the lack of splinter camo, these tanks were unreliable and at this point worn out strv103A tanks.

We can also assume that during the phase where the machines were fighting the army, they fought in more concentrated formations than what we see in-game.

1 Like

Strv 103 had a 3-man crew, but in theory it could be operated by one man as both the driver and commander had duplicates for eachothers controls. Even the radio operator had duplicates and a viewport to look backwards. Of course, the radio man had no way to aim, so he couldn’t actually shoot.

1 Like

The thread seems to be evolving from just fun of having vehicles to utility in vehicles. Imagining these suggestions more and more, I have to start objecting to some things just because I don’t really love the new ‘arcadey’ direction. I like nitty and gritty. I’ve had a fair share of power fantasies and it’s worn old for me, so this is clearly just my preference. If you were even to object to my objection, you’d point out already that the game is unrealistically power-fantasy with our deep pockets and fighting those large tanks solo.

The main quick points to why not vehicles to a large extent -

• Easily driving around means NPCs could’ve done the same, which means those would need to appear driving as well as proof of concept that it isn’t so bad.
  • Loud devices attract and roads are narrow, so either we have some offroader options (bike, buggy) that doesn’t supplement the desire for Co-op driving or it has to be heavy like the truck in FNIX Rising, which then defeats the purpouse of travel because of Fast Travel.
  • Any random civi car is the loudest and weakest just because machines can take out flying planes from the sky. We’d be driving a death-trap.
  • Easily driving around means also that FNIX isn’t such a threat. It’s an ever-evolving AI and by the story means it’s incredibly powerful in calculating and planning. It may have a plan beyond our reasoning, but if cars are added to drive around, we are more and more discrediting this great enemy we are supposedly fighting.
  • Fast moving objects take away from the story-telling elements that are laid out in the world and the playerbase starts missing some environmental details or just the look in general. It’s making the player lazier and also narrowing their range of information they may pick up.
  • Bycicles are a bit clunky and extending beyond it may expose some new issues. This won’t hold much weight as time goes on, but the Dev team working from home need to closely co-ordinate (which is just not possible right now) to smoothly implement this. I just have my doubts in this, just because the FNIX Rising DLC exposed some clunky…nes.
  • From my perspective there’s not much benefit at all driving a vehicle and maybe even being to co-op shoot. Yes, it’ll supplement co-op gameplay, but it’ll take large efforts for small substance. You’d be creating an extension for player engagement in killing machines. Your reward may range in getting a car, getting it to work and driving with friends to shoot some things, but that’s where it ends. You’re still shooting the same machines, but a bit differently. You’ll get tired quickly of the implementation and it’d take Devs months just to get that sort of mechanic working properly. Properly.

I’ve extended my reply. I’d rather see the Gritty happen than the Arcadey, because that’s what the lore suggests. Opinions and preference may change as time goes on, but just not yet. If anyone was to point out that there’s already arcadey elements in the game, I’d agree that I see them and follow up with my opinion that I don’t really like those elements :smiley:

I’m going against half the playerbase, just because these things get requested in large numbers, but I don’t really like how melee weapons got introduced, how you could sit in houses to cheese the machines and infinitely respawn in a near-by safehouse every time you die or how we have NPCs now (unless if they were done better), just because they take you out of the element. Still, I don’t mind too much, just because I can ignore these elements and go solo with my own restrictions set in place :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think that because you’re not into the idea of vehicles, you’re just saying how it wouldn’t work instead of how it could work.

Just dropping cars onto the game as it currently is will of course mess everything up. It’ll destroy the atmosphere and the balance. I think that if you’ll look at the first post you’ll see how it could work.

1 Like

Implement all that and you’ll get completely different game out of it. A mix between DayZ, Dying Light and Battlefield V.

2 Likes

This sounds like it could be a serious feature in the game, although I’m not sure how and what missions the transport would spawn in. Can I also suggest a boat?

2 Likes

Then we’d just simply start escaping by boat. And Hogge mentions it wouldn’t work, but I don’t care for it much gameplay-wise, but story-wise.

3 Likes

Yeah i think maybe during a mission we could be going on a boat it gets hit we sink and wash up on shores of the place we are going. Our char must be thinking Not again!

2 Likes

This is also very true, however

1 Like

I don’t think transports should spawn during missions. It should be a series of quests that allow you to use vehicles however you like. However, players will only be able to complete the quests once they complete most of the game.
For example, we could have a bunker that players unlock as their official “home base”. Once you do, you have access to a garage where you can repair vehicles. By exploring the environment, players can find some broken vehicles and parts. By claiming them, they unlock the vehicles. However the wrecks and parts are strewn over a large part of the environment.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: More new machines?

A lot of people are asking to drive the vehicles in the world and I believe this is the best way to go about it
The Hotwire skill would be a high level unlock able skill (for balance)
And would allow you to use cars by lifting the hood and pressing the interact button on the engine

1 Like

This should probably be an active ability at the end of the tree

2 Likes

That’s one way to go about it. Perhaps it would have multiple tiers, the first one only unlocking basic cars and the more advanced unlocking trucks and eventually the tank.

However, I think that players instead should get vehicles as a reward for some later side-quests. Perhaps even allow players some limited customization.

2 Likes

Same discussion topics merged.

//Mod

1 Like

Ok peps, seriously listen about this idea:

Jetpacks

1 Like