At the moment I am having some trouble understanding the different ammo weights, please mind that I am not necessarily talking from a realistic point of view, but from a balancing one mostly, as this is still a game. However, fixing some of the balancing issues might also make the weights more realistic as a side effect.
I will be mainly talking about the types that feel unbalanced, Missiles, Hunting Rifle ammo and most DLC ammo is fine in my opinion, feel free to comment on those as well, though.
Currently it looks like this:
Base line for one round of the common ammo types is
- Tier 1: 0.004 for 9mm SMG, 5.56 and 7.62, DLC 9x39mm
- Tier 2: 0.005 for .32 ACP, DLC Napalm
- Tier 3: 0.008 for 9mm Pistol and .243 and .270
- 0.016 for .44 Magnum and Shotgun Slug, Buck and Bird
- 0.025 for .50 CAL
- 0.250 for All Missiles, DLC M79 Grenades
Tl;dr? Suggested changes:
- 7.62 from 0.004 to 0.008
- 9mm Pistol from 0.008 to 0.004
- .44 Magnum from 0.016 to 0.008
- 50 CAL from 0.025 to 0.050
- DLC grenade Launcher ammo from 0.250 to 0.150
1. 7.62: The first thing that strikes me is how 9mm SMG, 5.56 and 7.62 share the same weight despite the huge difference in power of 7.62 to the other two calibers. I suggest moving them to Tier 2 in order to represent the higher power and (realistically) much higher weight of these heavy rounds. There is no downside at the moment to not carrying only 7.62 instead of 9mm or 5.56 with oneself as the ammo largely outperforms the other calibers by a huge margin, has the most weapon types from ARs, DMRs and LMGs covered and just can do everything the other types in that tier can do but better. Plus thanks to crafting recycling all 5.56 and 9mm and crafting 7.62 will provide a player with an infinite supply.
2. 9mm Pistol: The second major issue is that a sidearm-only caliber has double the weight of its primary equivalent with no weapon in the game being able to spew out 9mm Pistol nearly as fast as the SMGs. I strongly suggest moving 9mm Pistol to Tier 1 or 2 instead of making it double bad by restricting it to the lower end of guns.
3. .44 Magnum: For some reason this round is a heavy as a shotgun slug and has really nothing to show for it. Being limited to one specific weapon type (still praying for the Desert Eagle one day) it is extremely heavy and restricting although it has a disproportionally high drop rate. I strongly suggest moving it to the 0.08 tier to make it more on par with its firepower.
4. .50 CAL: Strongest bullet in the game, used by the arguably strongest weapon in the game, I think having one of these weigh only as much as 6 Tier 1 bullets is not enough, they are real chonkers IRL and their use and power in game also justifies doubling their weight in my opinion, increasing the weight to 0.050 would make it an ammo type to be used at a trade-off and not let people run around with 400 or more .50BMG rounds and 2000 7.62 in reserve.
5. Missiles vs. DLC M79 ammo: Right now they are all weighted at 0.250, with missiles in the game being a lot less effective than IRL I have no problem given their weight, but the DLC grenade launcher also deals less damage with less radius than the GrG and RPG, so I would suggest making it a bit lighter with down to 0.150 in order to give the player some choice and flexibility.