Being able to upgrade weapons/attachments to next quality tier

Hi again.
I think it would be an interesting addition if you could upgrade your weapons to the next quality tier using toolkits you find.
I imagine a bit like the Stalker games where you for instance would need:

• “Basic tools” to upgrade from 1 to 2 stars
  • “Fine tools” to upgrade from 2 to 3 stars
  • “Calibration tools” to upgrade from 3 to 4 stars

And maybe 5 stars are exclusive to weapons found that way.
The same principle could of course also be applied to weapon attachments.
I reckon the rarity of these toolkits could be similar to the rarity of finding a weapon of the upgraded quality.

Any thoughts on this? :sunglasses: :+1:

6 Likes

Although weapon crafting is an interesting feature I would have to decline on potentially making the game more complex than it is in its current state. Tho it’s a nice idea for sure. :wink:

1 Like

Although weapon crafting is an interesting feature I would have to decline on potentially making the game more complex than it is in its current state. Tho it’s a nice idea for sure.

Noted. :wink: Although I believe that the implementation I suggest above is probably one of the most simple ways to do this.

It’s not a bad idea but doesn’t really seem necessary to me. Finding the attachments may be a little more difficult but it’s not really too hard to hunt down the gold weapons using info found on the forum and wiki.
Unless they also make weapons degrade over time so we would need to keep the items to repair them back to a higher star quality, this would just add more inventory items to carry around that become junk once you get your 5-star weapons,
It is one of the simpler ways to do crafting but still more complicated than I think the game needs or that the current inventory system can handle

3 Likes

I like it and it be nice to break down the ones we find for parts towards upgrading.

1 Like

Actually I change my mind that could definitely be useful.

2 Likes

seems like a minor craft system that could work. Even items damaged during battle seems like if repairing them or items can be a game mechanic since the bots repair themselves if I remember right. It be only fair for a later feature

I want to make it clear that I don’t want weapon durability, only the ability to upgrade my weaponry.

1 Like

Weapon durability wouldn’t be so bad if you can “just” repair at a safe house. And it could be an option to toggle on/off. If Stalker can do it, so can GenZ. :wink:

1 Like

But what happens when your weapon durability hits zero?

Do you lose your weapon or can you just not use it until repaired?

If they were being realistic, it would never hit zero for most of the guns in game, but reliability would suffer. Glocks and AK’s are hard as hell to kill, and the FNC, G3, and HP5 are also pretty notoriously reliable if you’re not beating the crap out of them. The issue ends up being the weapons not cycling correctly (usually failing to chamber a new round, occasionally failing to properly eject spent casings).

1 Like

But what happens when your weapon durability hits zero?

In Stalker, the weapon simply has its stats reduced (less precise, less damage etc.) and there is an increasing risk it jams, forcing you to reload. When it hits zero, it simply can’t fire anymore, but it will jam up beyond proper use way before that.

However, in GenZ the answer is probably right in front of you. One possibility is that if you ever would hit zero durability, the weapon would actually be downgraded one star. So in the duration between the weapon would slowly transition towards one quality tier lower.

For a weapon to hit zero durability, you would have to fire over 10000 bullets. I find it hard to believe you would fire that many shots with a single weapon without visiting a safe house in between. On the other hand, if you can find a toolkit to upgrade the weapon back, it may not be that big of a problem anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

I reckon this might not be for everyone, but I think for a survival game that it would be fitting that your gear could degrade. At least with an option to enable/disable, and proper facilities to repair. :+1:

Okay that’s fine. Now we just need to decide on which durability system to use.

Catching up on this. I thought about adding this exact feature too :grin:

2 Likes