Contact - Day 5

We’ll all pretty positive here. All the Regulars and most of the others are fans of the game and the DEVs and I’m beginning to feel that we’re all working on it together, on the same side - ideas, feedback, discussions. All of us trying to make something we believe in a success. I really hope that the DEVs feel the same. For me, I want us to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

4 Likes

yeah of course, I’m sorry if it sounded VERY negative, I’m not the negative type usually on other forums, these were just my concerns, but I’m more than happy to see you guys being this positive, this is the beauty of having a small but strong community, hence why I tend to support these instead of huge one haha

3 Likes

Weeeeeell … I’m not :rofl:

Right you are! And so do I :+1:

3 Likes

we need all sort of people in a community, it’s all about HOW you deliver said feedback, in big communities, the feedback tend to be… toxic in some places, because people don’t really think before they post, they let their emotions speak for them and it comes out really wrong and negative

2 Likes

I think (and hope) that people are quite forgiving here in the forum. We come from all walks of life with all kinds of gaming preferences - and thank the Lord for that. We are supposed to have fun here and showing emotions is a part of that - let’s always keep that in mind. It is perfectly alright to disagree and everybody likes a god fight as long as we shake hands afterwards. I think we are pretty good at that, actually, so please continue to have opinions and don’t stop challenging the rest of us :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I love all the lightning! And all those hammers flying about…

3 Likes

Okay … spelling … @Bootie, you can do better that that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a writer by trade, even if I do something different now (possibly more worthwhile) and I can tell you that that’s not a spelling mistake but a “Typo”. Biiiiiiig difference! Try telling a writer his typo is a spelling mistake and he’ll turn into a Hunter on the spot, complete with the grunt!

But when a typo occurs, it is an opportunity not to be missed! :rofl:

3 Likes

Okay, typo then. I will scold myself for that mistake :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, it just occurred to me that we are turning the entire thread into a typo! Again we are polluting a posting in “Latest News & Announcements”. We’ll better stop before @Zesiir gives us detention :wink:

2 Likes

I think they are doing a great job! And i hope after the next update, they keep going, we have 3 more islands to explore!:smile:
And i would not mind to pay for an expansion out of the map, the continent for example.

3 Likes

I doubt they would add paid DLC at this point… I’m using The Division 2 as a reference on that one; though I would happy to see paid DLC after next March.

One good thing they’ve done is added in all of these clothing skins. Based on what PoE has done they could probably start churning out skins and a lot of folks would probably buy those and it wouldn’t even bother the players that wouldn’t want to buy them. Just an idea…

I’m actually vastly more concerned with whether it’ll be fun than whether it’ll be free!
But if we must engage that question, then I’d vastly prefer it to be for-pay.

First off, while I still expect open bugs to be fixed and am a bit disappointed how slow that’s been going, I’ve always found the price more than fair otherwise. I have may hours of play time. I got my money’s worth. The game is gorgeous, atmospheric, and unique (or it was until we got updates saying, “OK, forget stealth, forget being afraid of the machines, bring us metal scalps!”).

This leads to my other consideration. While I have no doubt I’ll get/buy the DLC when it comes, the beauty of for-pay DLC is that you don’t get it if you don’t pay. Free features updates on the other hand can be forced down your throat at the developer’s discretion (“I have altered the deal … pray I don’t alter it any further!”).

4 Likes

see. this is where I differ, I just hate being FORCED to pay for content that affect the core game, I hate it when devs charges for every, single tiniest content addition they make, ESPECIALLY when there’s already cosmetic MTX or cosmetic DLC’s flooding the store, being literally Gated out of interesting and game changing content is not satisfying in the slightest, especially when this content is something the game NEEDS in order to be a complete product.

Most games with DLC problems all suffer from that, Payday 2 for example was EXTREMELY frustrating with its awful overly expensive DLC model, all they were doing was spamming DLC’s every 2-3 months, crap like 5$-10$ weapon packs, 3 new maps for 15$, a new character that wasn’t even changing the gameplay for 5$ etc, and in the end it accumulated and the whole experience would cost you 200+ dollarinos just to get the full experience… at least until they eventually add ANOTHER weapon pack 2 months later

but all of this changes when the DLC’s just becomes optional, me, and a ton of other people are much MUCH more inclined to buy any kind of DLC when they are simply being proposed, not imposed.

let’s take Hunt Showdown for example, it has DLC’s like character packs, weapons pack etc, but they are ALL just cosmetics, but they are very fancy and does changes the game in a kind of meaningful way without being at the detriment of those who do not own these DLC’s, the characters actually have cool voicelines, they look very different, the weapons skins they come with are unique and literally transform the weapon into something else without changing how it plays, all of that is just extras that is nice to have.

Overall I just think that smaller and normal sized content drops shouldn’t be charged for, they should be free, but for much larger content drops like expansions and such ? yeah, totally would pay for that ! but only when the game is a complete product, not until then

1 Like

but in any case I think we shouldn’t be worried about that, the way that “The Next Chapter” section of the site is worded strongly hint at mostly free updates, they say the world is not static, that it will evolve over time, so it’s safe to assume that the world will evolve for ALL of us, not just for a small section of the playerbase.

there’s also this line hinting at new content always being there to come back to: "Expect new features and items, mixed in with the schweet 80s vanity items. Combine it with sets of fresh challenges and missions and you will always have something fun, exciting, and action-packed to come back to."

If it’s paid that’ll be a bit of a let down (for me at least, all of my money is being used for Uni :frowning:).

Relax! I don’t think it will be - all will be well.

2 Likes

sorry for sparking this up again… I just wanted to further elaborate my point with some more example of why I thought the way I did, my bad

In the end, it all hinges on that, doesn’t it? Do we consider what we’ve got so far a complete product.
As far as area, gameplay, robots, weapons go, I’d answer with a resounding “Yes!” (albeit a complete product in need of some bug fixes).

Conversely, one might argue that the ending does not provide closure/quite the victory some might be looking for.
(Keeping it vague to avoid spoilers.)

Additionally, while I feel the game provides a rather limited backstory (that you discover), and next to no story (that you experience), some people might still care enough about what little is there to be lured by the promise of “the DLC that answers all your questions!”

But on one hand, I’m not aware of any such promises having been mode (it might well be “more of the same” – more locations, more quests, perhaps new robots/variants). And on the other hand, even that would probably be OK as long as it’s not the main draw.

“Buy the proper ending to the game” (5 minutes’ gameplay), plus an exclusive vanity item (horse armor), and 10 extra slots in the Plundra: not OK :smile:

I hate not being able to opt out of content that affects the core game.

The way I see it, they offered me a game, and I bought it. Retroactively changing the game I bought (beyond bug fixes) feels fundamentally wrong to me, it’s Darth Vader saying, “I altered the deal, pray I don’t alter it any further.”

(Conversely, if I bought the exact thing they offered at the asking price, that implies I thought it was a fair price to ask. Anything beyond that is a new deal. They offer a new thing (DLC), and I decide whether I want it, and if so, if I want it at that price. Nice and clean semantics.)

For-pay in this context is a means to an end for that (plus, I don’t mind paying for additional, good content: they invested more hours into more content which warrants more money, surely?); free content that I can opt out of would also satisfy that need, though it’d be much more likely to become the “new standard”.

Difference in priorities here, I’m much more concerned with protecting the investment I already made. “Game changing content” that I cannot opt out of might ruin that investment for me.

Sure, but can you show that to actually be the case here?

And that is exactly where I see this DLC until we know more about what is and isn’t in it.

I’m sorry, that’s just so bizarre to me.
It’s like you buy the exact car you like, and then 3 months down the line the car salesman sneaks into your garage and bolts on some ugly spoilers while you’re sleeping. How would that ever be OK?
It may be free stuff, but if I end up liking the car I paid for less because of it, I still lose.

And how do we know this is not just that?
I just think it’s still too early to put a dollar value (even if it’s $0) on the content when we know little about what’s included?

3 Likes

I can’t bring myself to pay for DLC when they still haven’t addressed bugs that have been around for FAR too long. E.g. machines teleporting inside buildings - it ruins the game for me. They need to get their priorities in order.

2 Likes

Is this game complete?
I would venture to say no.
There are elements in the game that do not work at the present time, an example being clothing resistance, which will be reworked, or so I have been told.
Given the price point for the game, I didn’t expect it to be fully fleshed out and complete, and yes I expected bugs, as annoying as they are, but I do think it is a bit early for the developers to be releasing paid content when aspects of the game do not as yet work.
On the other hand, the game was released with a view to expanding it, and the developers have made this clear in every Dev stream I have ever watched.
How many game developers actively listen to the community and involved them in the continued development of a game? Not many.
We (majority of the community) wanted harder mechs, we got them, we wanted more weapons, we got them, we (the community) have a somewhat unique opportunity in where our suggestions are heard and may be implemented in the game, but at the end of the day, everyone got bills everyone needs to get paid.

When paid content is released, let s be honest and fair, if they keep the cost in line with for example COTW, I would be happy, compared to some other game developers, the cost of dlc content is far less than some other game developers charge.

1 Like