"Corrupt save game"

Do you know what you did right before the savegame got corrupted? Did you by any chance build a wall inside you base at the very edge of the build zone? This has caused savegame corruption for me, and I believe it has also affected other people (here and here).

I reported this bug a month ago (but it seems it hasn’t reallty been noticed). If you did in fact build a wall at the very edge of a base zone (at this point I suspect it affects all base zones), I’m very sorry to say that your savegame is probably permanently corrupted. :grimacing:

I had a corrupted savegame a a couple of years ago with over 450 hours logged and all experimental weapons etc. I then took a half year break from the game, but then came back and played the campaign again. :sunglasses:

It seems to me that the devs should make a system where people can make manual saves on a separate location other than the automatic saves and cloud saves. Especially on consoles. This way, if unfortunately a corruption happens, at least an old game-save can be restored.

On Pc this is what I do all the time, but luckily never needed them. If the option to extra-back-up is in the game people automatically will start doing this more often.

3 Likes

I think I was building? I was near one of my bases, as I’d been building up concrete walls around it. Unfortunately, if my game actually is forever corrupted, then I’m never coming back. If my save of 100+ hours is destroyed due to dev incompetence, and not my own, I see no reason to put any trust in them.

2 Likes

I completely agree. I kinda assumed that was the case as is, this situation feels like it would have happened in 2012, not 2022

Yeah, but nobody is perfect, and with programming many things can go wrong. I understand that losing a game save is frustrating, that’s why a better more robust game-save-system would at least keep people from having to start over, or stop altogether. Best to wait for the update, and hope for the best.

If this is the case, then I believe you had the same experience as me. Again, I’m very sorry, but it appears there is this base building bug that completely corrupts the savegame.

@Avalanche_Pontus could you bring this to the attention of the devs, if it hasn’t already been done? It’s rather critical that people get their savegames completely destroyed by building bases too close to the edge of the build zone.

2 Likes

Sniper Elite 5 has a great save game method where it keeps the 3 most recent autosaves plus however many manual save slots.

However, backing up saves to external locations etc. is blocked on Xbox to prevent people from using modded saves to cheat and/or unlock achievements.

The way the cloud saves work on Xbox is seamless and not an issue normally, but with GZ in its current save I live in fear of losing my 1,500 hour save file every time it crashes.

And it crashes a lot.

2 Likes

Ok, we may agree that there should be a seperated autosave-file in order to prevent losing all your work.
Which rules should there be for it? Just when reaching a plundra and mission objectives or for example every 15 minutes?

I once made a feature request regarding the savegames. Maybe we could talk about further suggestions there?

Is there no way you can assign your machine to save game-saves onto an External-disk or Usb-stick?

No. There’s a copy on the console and a copy in the cloud. In the past you could move save games to external devices and back but this led some people to cheat and used hacked saves.

Now there’s no legitimate way to do this on Xbox. The saved data is stored in a position inaccessible to filemanagers and the like.

If there is an illegitimate way, wouldn’t those people who cheat and use hacked saves still do it?
I don’t understand why Microsoft would try to control people’s actions. That never works. That would be the same as locking PC’s up.

But anyway, it’s up to the devs then, to make a save system that is more robust, and allows players to make more saves then just one, in the game options.

1 Like

Agreed.
As described in my above mentioned topic there should be different savegame files for each character, the game settings, the overall progress (story, challenges) and (now added) the autosave.

Well, it’s been fun, guys, but I guess this is where I leave. I hope this helps someone in the future deal with this without the days of effort trying to fix it. Awesome community, less awesome devs. Really hope they fix this so you guys don’t need to worry about it.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this. I really tried to bring attention to this issue, but still no response as to whether the bug report has been received and is worked on … :grimacing:

I also thought savegame corruption was a thing of the past, until the Base Assault update, which it appears have introduced an even worse savegame bug that corrupts both the main and backup save (again). :no_mouth:

2 Likes

So what I’m getting from this is that not only will I not be able to save any progress, weapons, materials, and rare Items I’ve collected but there is just absolutely nothing that can be done about it even if there is an update or hotfix in the future?

It’s purely guessing from my side here. But since the devs haven’t yet acknowledged this bug, or given any response, it’s very difficult to know where this situation stands. I’ve written a PM to Pontus, to try and get some response.

If you do crash in this manner like @Jane did, then yes, your progress and save data is gone forever. The only way to avoid losing everything is by backing up your save data, if you can.

I was building and I’m on Xbox and I can’t even get past the “Press A to play as” screen to get to the main menu. Idk what’s wrong or if any files are corrupted or not but it might be the same thing

If you crashed while building, then it is most likely the same problem.

Unfortunately everything you had is now gone.

Oof. Honestly as much as I love the game this might be my departure from it. Really loved it and I was still giving it a chance even with the constant crashing after the resistance update was released but if I’m going to lose everything and have to grind all of my experimentals, progress, and other things back then I’m just going to uninstall.

1 Like