Difficulty Setting

I dont want a difficulty setting.

In fact, I hope solo gets more challanging. Its not that hard, if you take your time.

MP MUST get much harder. Its silly how easy it is and the huuuuuge flow of exp! Please change that.

2 Likes

i understand peopleā€™s want/need for an easy mode. the game can be hard at first, especially since the added all the extra stuff at the beginning to make it harder. until you figure out some strategies it can be annoying but I think it was never intended to be easy for single players. they want us to team up and play. I wouldnā€™t mind an easier mode for more casual players, but keep the current mode for me and add a hardcore mode for others (not me yet). they would need to keep each mode separate so you can farm on easy to pass off to hard.

4 Likes

[ : While your position may bode well for other types of games, open-world-games, especially multi-payer-co-op,work-best when they have a general-difficulty. : With G-Zero the scaling comes in the zones and: youā€™re not restricted to which zone you can go into based on level. : So it boils down to skill, creativity, and: management of your resources this is what makes this game awesome, its not forgiving, just like a real-world-scenario like this would lend. : F.P.S require quick -thinking and: precision which is what drives the genre. ]

@Quantum-1.9 I think you are out of touch with reality! In order to sell a game to the masses you need to make it playable on all levels otherwise you only have a limited window of sale

6 Likes

Solo is mentally challenging right now, and sometimes mechanically challenging, but overall isnā€™t too hard if you play smart. I think it should stay that way though. Co-op though is indeed way too easy.

The thing is though, this issue has been solved by other games many times before. Borderlands is probably the best example. Each time a player joins, all the enemies get their stats bumped up a bit, each time a player leaves (or is kicked, or DCā€™s), all the enemies get lose the bump to stats from that player being present. This makes the sheer extra DPS of adding an extra player not as inherently useful, but doesnā€™t really make the game any harder if you still play smart.

1 Like

[ : I stated difficulty-settings are not bad, just not good for this game in my-view. : When WOW was first released, the whole allure of the game was how difficult it was and: getting certain armor or: completing certain-quest, it was a novelty-value of being one of the few with Orange-colored-gear/Legendary. : But then, as you stated, they decided to make the game ā€œopen to the massesā€ totally forgetting the hardcore-base which made the game available to the masses in the first place. : They started to nerf the game to such a degree that it was useless to have any special-armor or: rare-items because it would be released game-wide for free to new-players.

: This is what you are demanding; nerf the game by difficulty-setting to appease your skill-level. :: I mean Chess is a hard-game, no-matter what level your skill. : If your skill is no match for Bobby: Fisher, wellā€¦ : does Bobby need to ā€œnerfā€ his ability to satisfy your emotions?]

Apart from the advice I tried to give the topicā€™s creator, this is my personal opinion about the difficulty:
For me, itā€™s perfect. You start off poorly equipped, feeling overwhelmed by the machines hunting you. You advance carefully and strategically, and step by step you gain the upper hand. At first you freak out whenever you meet a larger machine than before, but 50 hours later you are surrounded by 8 Hunters, 5 Runners and a Harvester, and you think: ā€œThis will be fun! Bring it on, you suckers!ā€ :smiling_imp:
And yet, you still run into groups of enemies far too strong to take on. The path you had planned to go is suddenly blocked, and you have to plan all over again. You were not as well prepared as you thought, after all. The game throws the unexpected at you quite often, which is impressive!
The ammo and health find rate also seems well balanced after the last update. Iā€™m expecting they manage to fix the empty toolboxes next timeā€¦
GZ requires a litte extra effort and concentration. You need to practice dodging while shooting quickly and accurately at enemies charging you, as well as setting ambushes. You canā€™t just sit on top of a rock and calmly gun down all resistance, like in some other games.

3 Likes

I agree with everything you said, while I still think that the starter island might have been a tad too overwhelming since the May update. I restarted the game after the June update, and I found it quite hard, even though I had played over 150 hours before restarting. I believe it must be awfully hard for a completely new player.
Still, I think that new players must realize that running away is a completely valid strategy, which in my opinion is one of the things that makes GZ special.

2 Likes

I agree also. Iā€™m only on the starting island so far and some of the battles have been pretty damn hard. Having a difficulty setting would open the game up to more players Iā€™m sure. If you do add a difficulty slider make sure you add Nightmare mode thoughā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Video Game Loading Screens: If your are having trouble in combat try getting better at the game. I donā€™t think they could be more right. lol :wink:

when the game seems too hard at the start and is more frustrating than fun, some people might lose interest in getting better at it. not everyone has a lot of time to invest in games and getting killed over and over at the start makes them think it wonā€™t be worth continuing on

6 Likes

Of course, thatā€™s why they should revert the starting region back to the way it was. :+1:

1 Like

Your not always forced to engage with the machines in combat, there are ways of sneaking around and hiding from them. Yes some missions require you to destroy them because in order to ā€œsurviveā€ which is the primary objective of the game, you have to be good enough to do so (survive) whilst being entertained by the sheer difficulty the scenarios that the game presents.

Yes I have died before but that action of dieing is the sole reason that should motivate players to continue with the game as good minded people should rather than the minded of the weak who just give up.

In other words ā€œThe only person who can decide on whether to quit for themselves is yourself.ā€ and if you do itā€™s your own damn fault, not that of the gameā€™s.

yes but even trying to avoid fights does not always work. after losing my missions and restarting i had a hard time redoing the starting area at first. tried to sneak past some runners and ran into more. ticks spawned behind me as soon as a runner spotted me. If it had been my first experience I may not have kept playing.
why would having multiple difficulty settings be such a bad thing?

4 Likes

It would be terrible since it ruins the experience for everyone, simply because depending on what difficulty you set it on you can either be under or overwhelmed by what the game presents and thereby extinguisies the thrill that the game that should be provided to everyone regardless of the players skill.

That only leads to bad Reviews.
Too hard = no fun = bad review.
Too easy = no fun = bad review.
If you fit to the set difficulty = fun = good review.
I agree with you kakarron.
With different difficulty setting you enlarge the last group and shrink the other two. I dont see any disadvantage.

6 Likes

Always remember; if you struggle playing alone, bring along a friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I have misread your post then forgive me otherwise its rubbish! A person sets the skill according to his/hers ability. You cant have all games set to please the hard core gamers just as you cant have all games set to the casual gamers hence difficulty levels.

6 Likes

I just told you why it was a terrible idea. Besides reviews do not always reflect the quality of the game, there are only opinions after all.

Bob Ross: Because everybody needs a friend.

1 Like