Everything going to pot, each day new bugs show up

Your point is getting across just fine. I’m not going to repeat myself though, so I’ll be brief.

I’m not customer service, moderators are not employees. We do this in our spare time, and we make sure people follow the Code of Conduct. If you disagree with the terms it details, so be it. But they’re the rules.

Let’s drop this now.

I started this post and still play.  Excuse my ignorance but if your not customer service or part of the development team who are you and how does this get to the proper people and why cant the developers duplicate the problem that everyone else has? Did they provide the game to testers? Have they played the game on all platforms? 

The problem with your method is everything isn’t as simple as filling in a form. The symptoms change every day. Some days it crashes 4 min after loading then plays 4 hours then continuously crashes. Some days its just random. Their is never any crashes you can put a finger on that is aways the same. Some days its the joiner who crashes the most some days its the host some days its both. Never the same thing 2 days in a row. Some days its not playable at all some days its during a battle. Some days its after a battle just before you get your xp’s. I’ve lost 1000’s of xp.
We started the game. Then before we finished we installed the first update then the 2nd one. The game sent us to the island and we ended up getting the cannon and the credits then the crashes got so bad we uninstalled Both updates.
Last night we finished all mission and side missions but its so out of order we have no idea what the story is because even though we removed the updates. It left pieces of the old game. Last night we blew up the lab and still had missions to do.
Then around midnight we couldn’t continue due to crashes one after another. Like a cumulative effect. We have saved copies to an external drive so we could go back. We couldn’t finish the one at the hotel with the waves of bots. Last night we had much bigger battles that didnt crash then for no reason crashes from traveling to just walking in the woods.
Tonight we will reinstall the first update and try to finish that. We love the game, from the enemy to the senery. Neither of us ever found a experimental weapon. I haven’t even found one of the machine guns. Were both around level 27. The small things dont matter that much, its the crashes.
In the end it appears the game was not tested before released and the problems are accumulations or leftover bits from old battles or missions. This game has a lot of things going on.That all being said. If they released another game I would buy it IF i had some proof it was debugged before release.

A Moderator. We keep the forums in shape, make sure people follow the rules and help out where we can. Most forums have people like us.

By making proper Bug Reports by the design that the developers have made, they can get to the issues sooner. It’s a proven system that works. We can also ping the devs if needed. Right now they’re very busy with the current issues related to Xbox. I can assure you, everything that can be done, is being done.

They can only replicate the issues with testing. It’s much faster to replicate these issues with the help of a properly filled out bug report, for example where the user explains what they did when the issue happened.

The game was tested before release, and has a small roster of beta testers for upcoming content. But not nearly as big as say, an AAA developer would have, so it can be difficult to see all issues compared to what the playerbase as a whole sees.

These issues are being looked at, right now. The best thing that can be done is to submit Bug Reports, which many have done already, and they have helped a lot.

1 Like

Sir, merely asking, can’t this be increased?
I mean, certainly a few players would be glad to help out…?

Thank you for clearing that up. With bugs so varied and random, being an electronic engineer. We always concentrate on 1 thing at a time. I would think if they concentrated on the crashes only, 90% of players would back off. Also if I submitted bug reports on every bug I’ve seen or had. I would still be submitting since I first posted. I can not find anything that happens everytime for a reason and beleive me we have tried. Including starting over, playing the same mission etc. I think most would wait and put up with some bugs (all games have them) If they could only fix the crashes so we could play without loosing our xps radios and other things.

You’d have to ask an Admin, see if you can apply to be a beta tester. I know they’ve accepted people before. Just know that you’d have to sign a non-disclosure agreement that binds you legally to the company. I suppose it also helps if they trust you before that.

@larrylwill That makes sense, yeah. We’ve had some crashing issues on PC too, but nowhere near as much as consoles are facing now. I’d rather all platforms were brought to the same performance level at the very least. I don’t doubt the crashing issues over all are one of (if not the) main issues to get rid of.

1 Like

Who would be best, good sir?

Me and my playing partner have been playing at least 4 to 5 hours per night since covid. We like shooter looters that are more realistic with a story. Killing robots as opposed to people also appeal. The open world and bueatful senery and unreapatable sceans are also great. Like I said this game has a lot of moving parts. Trying to keep them all working together is really hard.
Im.not in the position to say but as soon as a bug was found I would fix that first befor moving on. Trying to fix multiple bugs at the same time makes for new bugs. I write testing programs for integrated circuits and test them and have all the same problems. I work for myself. I do not concider myself as being a gammer. Im also not a game programmer. Btw I have to sign nda’s with every company I do business with. I am a 1 person test house since 1986.

1 Like

Ergh, try @SR_Carni perhaps. If nothing else an Admin would have more information on the how’s and why’s. I’m afraid I can’t be much more help about it there :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you very much, good sir. :slight_smile:

Fixing in-game bugs isn’t as simple or straight forward as you project it to be or the very least, as it is in your line of work.

Fixing code in one part of the game can generate issues in completely another part of the game since everything is connected and entwined.

However, if you don’t trust what we (forum mods) are saying to you, you can always listen what The Boss Man himself (Paul, The Product Owner of Generation Zero) said about it, in one of the latest dev streams. That part starts at 00:22:52,
link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/756453979?filter=archives&sort=time

If you want to know the story in GZ, in readable and chronological order, look into here: Generation Zero story timeline

1 Like

I first want to say that Im not trying to arguer or criticize, this is only a discussion and many opinions. I want the developers to succeed. I also appreciate a moderator that is not a dictator and is civil and allowing such discussions and complaints without bias.

I did not mean to suggests that in game bugs ware simple. I also dont know where you got the idea I didn’t trust the developers. The developers appear to be having a good time which is also important for any business to enjoy what they are doing.

You can delete the following paragraph if you wish.
As for my programming The programs I write absolutely are related and intertwined one test can screw up everything that follows and in many cases not screw up some but others. If I have to add a test it can again affect everything that follows it. Sometimes the first tests can kill what Im testing and make potentially good parts bad and sometimes allow bad parts to test good. My programming is certainly different but I also have the same problems and most times its because I forgot something. I only have to worry about tests that come after a bug mostly although a mistake going backward can blow the part and make many more fails. That happens also.

The point is in my experience trouble shooting anything is the same basic steps. Identify a problem, fix it and see what it affects and move on, whether a car, game or Apollo space mission. What you do after the fix is also the same, test it to see what it affects. I understand exactly what they said and fully agree but the key takeaway was to tests the fix, If you forget to test everything the bug grows. They even admitted that they didn’t know why a fix made new problems with people joining, Had they tested every possibility it wouldn’t happen. Although we both know testing everything is impossible, so remove the fix and start over, never fix the fix.

Im not criticizing, I just think if they fix the crashes it would go a long way, and the start would be getting rid of the last patch, but now its integrated in the game.

Maybe giving the fix to beta testers before releasing it the testers could have told them it was worse than no fix. Also like they said, everything is intertwined, and I say making multiple fixes at the same time without complete checkouts independently is asking for trouble. In my business its called Quality assurance or control…

1 Like

What I can say is that those responsible for the planning and the testing messed up.
April brought some bugs, that they could have been easily fixed in at least 1 month.
Fnix Rising could have been easily pushed for PC in mid July or August instead of June, the consoles with a very stable game could have just waited till October or even later for a stable new update version.
Instead the PS4 version is almost 6 months old, the Xbox version almost unplayable and those playing the PC version will now have wait a lot of time for a new update.
It´s very normal for some platforms to get DLC or even the Base game later than all at the same time, specially with indie titles and small game studios.
So I don´t understand how they let this happen and did not think it thoroughly, following other studios steps.
And what´s with the testing?
Pretty sure it was not tested enough or Xbox would not have the issues it has.
Such a snowball effect we have here :thinking: .

3 Likes

It is not hard to do a roll back, should that help.
Of course, this will remove certain things from your save file, gear that was released, …
But it’s fairly simple to do.

We finished the game last night. Ssve for a couple of unplayable missions or side missions. We added back the side packs 1 at a time
We got the cannon last week. Then the computer. Yesterday before adding back the packs. We couldn finish the hotel waves due to crashing. Also couldnt finish the downed airplane due to one missing machine not being there. The bycicle race disappeared. The 2nd part of the main computer mission missing the underground lab.
The wedding party missing a bot to kill. The underground tunnel fort protection due to a crash in the middle of the first round. Then nobody came back for round 2 not to mention no truck in the shed but a walker in there. Started the truck mission in the first part before adding back thr packs. Then it dissipeared. Who knows what else. Any way no more missions to do. Only made it to lvl 27 and 28. Neither of us found any experimental weapons only clothing.

1 Like

We already lost all our xp and started over at lvl 14 or 15. Then we just un installed the 2 packs. Is this what yiur talking about?

1 Like

Well, not quite, sir, I meant for the Dev team to make a roll-back patch.
I do not know where the issue is, exactly, or in fact, at all.

But WHERE it sits… no idea…
Is it a DLC, or is it caused by a patch, or…?

I’m no programmer, good sir, sadly.
It (the issues) could even be originating in the raw game, the original release…
Something triggering the error later on.

I just hope that the Consoles get their fix fast, sir…

If I remember correctly I had the same issue on PS4 with a missing hunter at the airplane and a missing dog at the wedding party. The missing dog was far away…just look for it nearby. In regard to the missing hunter I came back later and found him nearby the plane-I think I had to quit and restart the game.
So many issues with consoles, but I hope this helps.

1 Like

On PC is sits in the ground near the car, for some odd reason.
Too scared, maybe?

1 Like

It should be scared when you are after him :wink:

1 Like