Everything going to pot, each day new bugs show up

Fixing in-game bugs isn’t as simple or straight forward as you project it to be or the very least, as it is in your line of work.

Fixing code in one part of the game can generate issues in completely another part of the game since everything is connected and entwined.

However, if you don’t trust what we (forum mods) are saying to you, you can always listen what The Boss Man himself (Paul, The Product Owner of Generation Zero) said about it, in one of the latest dev streams. That part starts at 00:22:52,
link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/756453979?filter=archives&sort=time

If you want to know the story in GZ, in readable and chronological order, look into here: Generation Zero story timeline

1 Like

I first want to say that Im not trying to arguer or criticize, this is only a discussion and many opinions. I want the developers to succeed. I also appreciate a moderator that is not a dictator and is civil and allowing such discussions and complaints without bias.

I did not mean to suggests that in game bugs ware simple. I also dont know where you got the idea I didn’t trust the developers. The developers appear to be having a good time which is also important for any business to enjoy what they are doing.

You can delete the following paragraph if you wish.
As for my programming The programs I write absolutely are related and intertwined one test can screw up everything that follows and in many cases not screw up some but others. If I have to add a test it can again affect everything that follows it. Sometimes the first tests can kill what Im testing and make potentially good parts bad and sometimes allow bad parts to test good. My programming is certainly different but I also have the same problems and most times its because I forgot something. I only have to worry about tests that come after a bug mostly although a mistake going backward can blow the part and make many more fails. That happens also.

The point is in my experience trouble shooting anything is the same basic steps. Identify a problem, fix it and see what it affects and move on, whether a car, game or Apollo space mission. What you do after the fix is also the same, test it to see what it affects. I understand exactly what they said and fully agree but the key takeaway was to tests the fix, If you forget to test everything the bug grows. They even admitted that they didn’t know why a fix made new problems with people joining, Had they tested every possibility it wouldn’t happen. Although we both know testing everything is impossible, so remove the fix and start over, never fix the fix.

Im not criticizing, I just think if they fix the crashes it would go a long way, and the start would be getting rid of the last patch, but now its integrated in the game.

Maybe giving the fix to beta testers before releasing it the testers could have told them it was worse than no fix. Also like they said, everything is intertwined, and I say making multiple fixes at the same time without complete checkouts independently is asking for trouble. In my business its called Quality assurance or control…

1 Like

What I can say is that those responsible for the planning and the testing messed up.
April brought some bugs, that they could have been easily fixed in at least 1 month.
Fnix Rising could have been easily pushed for PC in mid July or August instead of June, the consoles with a very stable game could have just waited till October or even later for a stable new update version.
Instead the PS4 version is almost 6 months old, the Xbox version almost unplayable and those playing the PC version will now have wait a lot of time for a new update.
It´s very normal for some platforms to get DLC or even the Base game later than all at the same time, specially with indie titles and small game studios.
So I don´t understand how they let this happen and did not think it thoroughly, following other studios steps.
And what´s with the testing?
Pretty sure it was not tested enough or Xbox would not have the issues it has.
Such a snowball effect we have here :thinking: .

3 Likes

It is not hard to do a roll back, should that help.
Of course, this will remove certain things from your save file, gear that was released, …
But it’s fairly simple to do.

We finished the game last night. Ssve for a couple of unplayable missions or side missions. We added back the side packs 1 at a time
We got the cannon last week. Then the computer. Yesterday before adding back the packs. We couldn finish the hotel waves due to crashing. Also couldnt finish the downed airplane due to one missing machine not being there. The bycicle race disappeared. The 2nd part of the main computer mission missing the underground lab.
The wedding party missing a bot to kill. The underground tunnel fort protection due to a crash in the middle of the first round. Then nobody came back for round 2 not to mention no truck in the shed but a walker in there. Started the truck mission in the first part before adding back thr packs. Then it dissipeared. Who knows what else. Any way no more missions to do. Only made it to lvl 27 and 28. Neither of us found any experimental weapons only clothing.

1 Like

We already lost all our xp and started over at lvl 14 or 15. Then we just un installed the 2 packs. Is this what yiur talking about?

1 Like

Well, not quite, sir, I meant for the Dev team to make a roll-back patch.
I do not know where the issue is, exactly, or in fact, at all.

But WHERE it sits… no idea…
Is it a DLC, or is it caused by a patch, or…?

I’m no programmer, good sir, sadly.
It (the issues) could even be originating in the raw game, the original release…
Something triggering the error later on.

I just hope that the Consoles get their fix fast, sir…

If I remember correctly I had the same issue on PS4 with a missing hunter at the airplane and a missing dog at the wedding party. The missing dog was far away…just look for it nearby. In regard to the missing hunter I came back later and found him nearby the plane-I think I had to quit and restart the game.
So many issues with consoles, but I hope this helps.

1 Like

On PC is sits in the ground near the car, for some odd reason.
Too scared, maybe?

1 Like

It should be scared when you are after him :wink:

1 Like