Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

Played for about 2,5h and so far no rivals.

Game crashes for me mostly in 2 occasions:

• Right after end of combat (about at the moment XP gain should pop up) It doesn’t matter what was killed - I destroyed 4 Tanks in a row with absolutely no problem, next one lonely seeker - crash.
  • When I’m killed in combat.

My game crashed literally four minutes in, as I engaged in Combat with a Harvester and some Runners. It happens whenever it wants to.

Edit: It did it again! It’s actually reached the point of becoming unplayable for me now. I hope the guys at Avalanche have nailed down what’s causing this and that we’ll see a solution next week.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? Is this a joke?

I bought the game right on release. After a couple of hours of gameplay the game would crash every 5 - 15 minutes on average. Basically no point in playing.

Being enthusiastic about the game I came to the forums. I made my own thread stating the problem, I dug through other people’s reports to collect information, I posted almost every day for weeks to get this fixed.
What did I get in response? NOTHING!

I went on the monthly dev stream a few weeks later and of course I asked about the crash issue immediately.
What was the reaction on stream? “We are not aware of this issue but we’d like to hear more about it”.

The forum post I linked during that stream got a single reply, saying the issue was being passed to the devs. It was the only official reaction this post got.
Over 2 months after release the issue still wasn’t mentioned in the “known issues” section of the dev logs, even though the issue definitely had to be known at that point.

Just to recap: at least one new post regarding the random crashes every day (not just my posts) and possibly dozens if not hundreds of crash reports every week, over a timespan of several weeks … but the devs were unaware. Aha. Great devs.

On the next dev-stream I brought up the problem again and was pointed towards customer service. That’s a good way to stop me from posting on a forum where everyone can see it, right?
They told me to do everything I had already done. I did it again anyways and - surprise - it didn’t change a thing. (I did even more than that but mentioning it would be very much against the TOS)

Now it’s 6 months later and the game still randomly crashes. You still wanna tell me it’s a problem on my end? That I need to update my drivers? That my AV program is causing an issue? That I need to reinstall Steam? … even though others are reporting the same problem with other Apex engine games?

Yes, this is a rant, but every event mentioned is true. Remember that when you see “Avalanche Studios” on a game next time.

(This is my 2nd account after I asked for deletion of my old one, so the thread mentioned above won’t show in my profile. I was pissed back then and I’m pissed enough now to make a new one.)

1 Like

Now, a game can crash for a variety of reasons. Problem could be on your end, or it’s the game, or both. All I know is, my game hadn’t crashed nearly this often before the August Update. There weren’t as frequent reports of it as it is now either. I’d say, this is definitely the game.

I think everybody here (including Avalanche) can agree on that by now.

And it’s always the same kind of issue, the game freezing followed by being dumped to desktop, that’s been reported by many others. It often happens during the start of a session, or is related to combat. We’ve been told in this very thread that they are looking into this for the November Update, and since it’s a big one that also prepares for the introduction of expansion DLC I’m hopeful this issue will get the attention it deserves.

1 Like

Yes, it is 100% the game. Other games on my machine are usually very stable.

For me it happens in two situations:

• during various circumstances in combat (just 1h ago, after I had just finished looting, all enemies were dead)
  • in safe houses during inventory management, e.g. after exiting the plundra

I’d guess the game crashes due to a variety of reasons. Or it is a very basic reason that manifests in different situations.

1 Like

Even after all the ’ im leaving ’ from me and other Rants in the past said by me , i have also posted positive comments and appreciation due to the fact it’s the only bugged best game i have played the most , at half the price of the ‘’ guess the AAA game ‘’ rubbish i have bought this year this game is great :+1: aye done , looking forward to more bug’s and fix’s and Alpine DLC

This started for me on Sunday during MP on Xbox & now can not join any MP be it friend or random players.
SPP

I play the game on the PS4, it is the only one who crashes, it is a problem of the game, not of anyone`s desktop, laptop, console…

I can vouch for this,
First some background, I have (had) 4 characters all at level 31 and with all gold plus experimental weapons, 19500 kills with 307 deaths and platinumed the game, so yeah, its takel a long time to do this.
My PS4 Pro game crashes often and rather randomly, but mostly on machine kill. I did create a support ticket which was deemed resolved as an official internal bug was created by Support.
So I created a new save and started playing game from scratch. Successfully completed entire game, earned all experimental weapons and clothing and almost all challenges again and leveled character to 27.
Created a second character, leveled her to 17 and now once again this new save started crashing often and randomly,.
I immensely enjoy the game, but the crashes are killing motivation to play. I sincerely hope that the last item on the Alpine Unrest patch notes has addressed the root cause of crashes, I shudder at the thought of having to replay the entire game for a third time only to have it crash often and again.
Having said all above kudos to the GZ team for being open with the community, addressing bugs and releasing content.
Given my play time I got more than my money’s worth, but I want to continue playing. I look forward to game stability in this update.

I hear you. It’s just gotten worse and worse for me. I can’t go 5 minutes now. I love it so much that I keep trying but it’s so frustrating losing all the ammo and whatever progress I might have made towards the next goal. It also seems to lose track of doors and things as a result and of course the enemies that I wiped out are always back but I don’t have the ammo left to fight again, or I’ve used up all my med kits. Somehow it always remembers what I’ve used up but forgets what I killed.

I just spent $$$ on a new M.2 NVMe drive to run it on thinking that might help. It didn’t. I’ve kept up with the latest nVidia driver releases too but that hasn’t helped. So I figured because it’s all memory management errors that I see in the log but I just keep trying anything I can because it’s the only game I want to play!

Aaannnnd that’s exactly what we got. Except for the “trying to put something in storage when it’s full” crash that I have never experienced. I get crashes at any time. Walking, fighting, game is paused, etc, but never noticed one hit while trying to put something in storage even when full. sigh

I’m hoping for the best tomorrow otherwise it apparently means at least another month probably more before some chance of any update.

Yeah, it’s not what I was hoping for. One could always ask around at the Q&A tomorrow for details, though it’ll be pretty easy to discern anyway once the updates roll out today.

So yeah, I downloaded the update and bought the DLC, and the game still crashes with the exact same frequency as before. I tried twice, and as each time soon as I entered combat my game froze and I got sent back to desktop.

I’m starting to think something may be wrong with my save. I’m going to backup my files and start anew, see if the problem persists.

Hi @SkEyE

Next time you crash would you mind sending us your crash files and a DXDiag directly? Since we need all data to be anonymous we can’t filter out your specific crashes. However we can take a look at your files directly if you gather them for us. This would really help us!

Next time you crash please follow these steps:

1. When crashing you will get an error report “GenerationZero_F has stopped working” before you accept the “send crash” you can save down the files by clicking “What does this report contain?” and then click the Export button. (After this you can click the “send report” button.)
  2. In Windows run dxdiag and save down the file (Please note that there will be data in this file that is not considered anonymous so by sending us this file you will consent to us seeing it. We will however NOT save it past double checking certain compatibility issues.)
  3. Take note of what you did before the crash happened (Where you in combat, playing MP, etc)
  4. Zip them up and ping me here privately and I will provide you with an email you can directly contact me through.

Thank you so much for your kind words and for reporting this issue. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@Zesiir

Can you please let me know how it goes for you? Also if you don’t mind, can you follow the steps I provided in my post above to SkEyE? Save the crash logs locally and get a dxdiag?

Thank you Xezr for your support!!! :star_struck:

EDIT: I just realized you might not be on PC? I have forgotten what platform you are on.

1 Like

If you click my profile, you’ll see I’m on PC :wink:

Sorry for not providing the crash report, I’ve been compiling a few of them in the same text file to compare.
I can send that along. Almost every single frequent crash report I’ve sent thus far has had a description of how it happened. Entering combat, leaving combat, fighting Tank, etc.

Edit: Redid a new save and all worked smoothly up until the first Tank encounter, and the game crashed again.

2 Likes

“Sorry, Avalanche_Kimchi is not accepting messages at the moment.”

:worried:

I have crash report files, dxdiag, and my saves (maybe problem is there?) ready to go. Just need the email, or should I send it to standard support email?

I’ve prepared the files as requested. I’m not sure how to “ping” you other than replying to this post.

1 Like

I figured out how to send private messages but it says you are not accepting messages as this time. So maybe you can message me the email address you want me to send these files to.

Still waiting for some kind of response from Kimchi since I can’t follow their instructions because their private messaging is blocked. So I hope they come back and give me the address to send these reports that I’ve got piling up.

Unfortunately the update has changed nothing obvious in terms of frequent and I mean lucky to go more than 10 minutes crashing.

1 Like