Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

I travelled to the new Island today and had crash free game play… until region level got to 8.

Now I’m 100% sure it is caused by rivals.

My current total rivals count is 0 (it has been like this for more than a week).

Up to six crashes now since the update, accumulated in about an hour of play time. As usual it just gets worse and worse. Cannot explore mission sites or get involved in machine battles. Lasts longer if I just wander outside areas and do nothing but two of the crashes happened with no machines anywhere near and just walking.

Every crash has triggered the crash reporter which is an improvement I guess since it only caught slightly better than half of them before the update.

I’d love to try the new DLC but with all the problems and that I still don’t have a working game after a month since purchasing it I don’t feel like shooting myself in the foot.

This game punishes me for playing it because it’s so enveloping but the more I try the worse it gets.

Since I have even had it crash while sitting on the pause screen I don’t think it’s related to player action but something environmental. The machines and the day/night/weather cycles can be seen continuing on while the game is paused. So I suspect the issue lies with loading/unloading weather/light cycles/machines.

@SR_Kimchi has likely gone home from work by now. I’m sure they’ll respond as soon as they’re able.

1 Like

I got nothing against a game crashing once in a while, but within the last hour or so GZ crashed 3 times while I’m trying to explore a mission objective area. I was exploring Himarvet when GZ crashed 3 times on me.

I’m currently playing on Xbox One S.

Somehow, I’ve gotten my frequent crashing issues to cease. All I’ve done is activating the secondary fan unit on my PC. I almost never use it. My graphics card has no heating issues, but I wonder about the CPU. Would it be possible that this is a CPU issue?

I’m on PS4. It looks like it’s the save file I deleted it on the machine and I could start a new character. Even with the update it was crashing before the game loaded in to the world. If I download and overwrite from the cloud it still crashes

Any fixes to the save file? Sucks to have to start from level 1 having been 28…

@Zesiir

I seriously just read this, and after reading the patch notes today my heart sank after reading it, I too was hoping for more information on this issue :sob::sob::sob:

It’s always been that way for me. I will be lucky to make it 5 minutes. Start it back up, same thing. Then for no discernible reason I will run it and it will not crash for hours.

I don’t think it’s your hardware or software, not unless you’re getting really unique errors that nobody else is. As it is the errors that have been reported across the internet are all the same three memory related issues. Also consider that PS4 and Xbox players are having major crashing issues as well. I spent over 48 hours combined trying to troubleshoot this on an otherwise stable and error-free system that successfully runs thousands of titles from the latest releases to old classics. I also spent $150 on new hardware components to try to play this game that caused such an obsession. No dice, and I have been through enough tech issues in my life to see the signs that this is not a user configuration issue. It’s too widespread across too many platforms, OSes, and system configurations. Just because of the immense time and expense I’ve gone to over this I hope that one day somebody from Avalanche divulges just what it was that was wrong.

Some folks over at Steam are having some successes breaking out of crash cycles by deleting the cache.bin file in their users/(yourusername)/My Documents/Avalanche/Generation Zero folder. Probably the cache gets corrupted from a crash, or the thing that caused a crash is saved in there, and then it keeps triggering because it’s accessing the cache. So it’s probably a good way to reduce crashing but doubtful not going to resolve the instigating issues.

1 Like

I tried this few days ago, but my game crashes just the same.

If your CPU hits the thermal max of 105 or something degrees celsius because your CPU cooler is loose or gone missing, it will shut down hard = power off. Other than that a hot CPU leads to thermal throttling at 95°C or whatever you have set in the overclocking section of your bios. You’ll see bad performance than, no crashing.

You’ll only get crashing if you overclock and your voltage is too low for the frequency/temp mix you get under load or the CPU just can’t sustain the raw frequency.

Of course, a CPU might be broken on a single case basis. A mainboard with hair fractures in copper leads might as well show thermal effects. But that is rare and not to expected if other highly demanding applications run just fine. Use 3dMark stress test for 1h and see if you survive. If yes, your system is ok. :+1:

That would be the shader cache, I guess. A game should recompile on its own after updates, but maybe it helps.

This game has 100% multiple different reasons for crashes. I’d suspect the devs observed an overall improved stability, or employed some good-guess methods, but hey likely cannot tell what exactly leads to the crashes as the reports all overlap. Users are even worse in distinguishing reasons and situations and remembering and reporting circumstances, because, naturally, there potentially are thousands of things to have in mind.

EDIT: Plus they mentioned the plundra, right? The hard cap is now at 100 -> dealt with.

1 Like

GZ is the only game that causes these issues. I can run GTA5 with setting maxed out just fine, for example. Or Star Wars: Fallen Order. But yesterday I played a 5 hour session of GZ with my chassis fans on max to keep the PC fully cooled and I didn’t experience a single crash, I even tried to goad the game into crashing like it usually did but it never happened.

It’s an anomaly of an issue, I hope we can get it worked out.

Did you watch your temps during that session? GPU/CPU? Any substantial differences? Because depending on case layout, dust filters, position of fans, that sometimes does not do very much. Too thick dust filters, e.g. can really use some high static pressure fans to achieve good cooling.

Mine’s a custom case intended for airflow and cooling, with manual input. But, I’ll look into a temperature gauge for the CPU and GPU so I can run some tests later if the issues return.

I assume it is your game and not your whole PC that crashes, right?

Use Riva Tuner Statistics Server with its OSD for monitoring. It ships with the MSI Afterburner. You can monitor both temps with it.

What are your specs? Any of it overclocked?

EDIT: The Afterburner can even log all the data monitored so that you can review it after a crash.

1 Like

It’s a custom build with handpicked parts. But I feel like I’m cluttering up the thread a bit, so let’s give it some breathing room. GZ works for me now, hopefully it stays that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Played today for 6h as a client with 2 friends. Had just 1 crash, and it was right after entering the room with computer in a yellow house in the mission “a wrench in the works”.

Tomorrow I’ll try playing on my own… maybe the game will unclog itself :wink:

I didn’t have much crashes prior to the new dlc update yesterday, but I had around 10 or so crashes while trying to complete the dlc achievements from yesterday & today. I’m playing GZ on xbox one.

I have in every game their 2-5 mines and all ! But all same I yesterday connected to another player and all became normally on 10 mines only then again collapse game!

I was really optimistic - after destroying 3 harvesters, 4 tanks and some lesser machines in farmlands (level 20, 0 rivals) nothing bad happened. But after fasttravelling to archipelago and killing one lonely runner - crash :frowning:

Just entered the game ! URAA 7 level of earned playing on 5-10 mines in game! Played 10min and all game crash! Polazil on bunker released killed 3 flyer and 3 jumper with rifles then turned his and all kaput! the game crash! but he sent the report on request! I sent the report. I play on PC!