Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

My situation is very similar to the one mentioned by SkEyE. I have had crashes regularly with the game ever since I bought it. Initially thought it was overloading the graphics card by having all settings turned too high, which has fixes some issues I was having in Just Cause 4 but it has not fixed Generation Zero. I have tried various fixes, but the only ones that seems to make it any better is using Borderless Window rather than using Fullscreen. Fullscreen will eventually crash without offering the crash reporter, but Fullscreen allows bug reporting, but it too will eventually crash.

Getting similar errors, with BEX errors being the most common. I have a DMP file with the details of the crash, but nowhere to send it.

Platform: PC (Steam)

Steps To Reproduce:
Nothing specific, it happens at any time.

Images / Videos:
None

Players in your game: Single Player

Specifications:
Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz
16GB RAM
Intel HM170 (Skylake PCH-H)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
DirectX 12

Check your CPU and GPU temperatures - it’s a common issue on many laptops.

I’ve already done that - the temperatures are not abnormally high for either the CPU or the GPU. The game is running in potato mode and a low resolution in order to eliminate heat being a problem and it makes no difference.

I have noticed a considerable amount of crashing after the hotfix, im not the only one, ive got 4 other friends that it happens to them also, start a mission today and crashed 3 to 4 times, i also absolutly love the game, ill still play but im thinking i might wait for a bit till i hear that some of the crashes are resolved due to i cant progress or play, freezes and crashes, im not going to completely stop playing, but ill wait for a bit till i hear about the issues being resolved, if im able to play miracly then i will but i cant even, get past the mission “trust no one” cant even get past that one to collect everything, even if under attack with an enemey it crashes, any ideas help or anything even my log files if i can help message me and ill let u see the logs i want to be able to play 24/7 :smiley:
thanks devs for an incredible game so far :smiley:

Update on my crashing situation:

My crashing problem seems to have now been resolved. Further investigation of the crashes showed an additional event being logged which was not so obviously linked to this issue as it had varying times and occurrences. I was also getting LiveKernelEvent 141 around the time of the freezing, and this was what led to my ultimate solution to the issue, underclocking the GPU, both core clock and memory clock.

As part of my testing I had been trying to limit the work the game was doing, running it on lower graphical settings and even adding a small GPU core clock underclock of -80, with resolution reduction down to 720p. This had not done anything and I had not considered that adding a memory downclock might fix it, I was skeptical it was even needed or would even work - up until this point most other games had worked fine since the machine was new, and any crashes had just been crashes, not actually linked in any way.

After checking my GPU’s official NVIDIA specifications, I noticed that the highest non boosted value was 5MHz higher than the official specifications, so I added a -80 downclock in Afterburner and tested it.

It worked, crashes gone, Generation Zero, not the cause of the crashing, and probably never was. Now I need to play around with the exact underclock to find the crossover point between crash and no crash, -80 was chosen at random. Seems graphics cards can come from the factory with tiny overclocks that cause issues over time.

Tools I used:
Windows Reliability Monitor - basic error notifications
MSI Afterburner - underclocking / GPU monitoring
NVidia Profile Inspector - GPU monitoring

1 Like

great report, im sure this will help alot of people too

Can anyone help me with a very confusing situation, Both myself and my friend have the same CPU and GPU, the only difference between our rigs is that he has 64gb ram and a 4k monitor where I have 32gb and a 1080p monitor, I can run and stream the game for the most part fine with no issues, all settings on ultra, however my friend with the same GPU and CPU cannot, the game runs like a one legged octopus for him, we even tried using the same settings I use, it switched off his PC, twice! full shutdown, he has tried settings on all presets, checked for anything running in the background, nothing found, so we are sitting scratching our heads as to why this is the situation. Any insight or suggestions appreciated.

Windows 10 64bit
CPU Intel i9 9900k
GPU Nvidia 11gb 2080ti
His PC 64gb ram/ My PC 32gb ram
M.2 nvme ssd/ Sata hd

Both PC’s have sufficient cooling via Corsair AIO.

Something to try: disable “Dynamic Resolution”.

1 Like

I have dynamic resolution off , unfortunately when he used my settings it shut down his pc, he thinks the game is badly optimised, which well I cant say either way, all i know is that it runs ok for me.

On that PC setup GZ should blast past 60FPS on 4K with ease.

Did you try doing a fresh install of the game?

1 Like

He just recently bought and installed the game, on my recommendation, whereas I bought the game a while ago, but we both had the most recent update which had no negative impact on my game, and yes it should play the game with relative ease.
I have asked him to try checking that his PC is running the game on the GPU only or if it is trying to use the internal graphics card and CPU, which could explain the shutdown, perhaps that may be the issue, if not i’m clueless.

I don’t think so. He would had to have his monitor connected to motherboard HDMI/DisplayPort instead of the ones on GPU.

1 Like

So after a fresh install, verifying game files, checking all graphics card settings, pretty much checking everything he can, it still runs poorly, he get high framerates but it is stutters all the time, making the game unplayable for him.
when he has OBS open for the game he has a huge amount of frames missed due to rendering lag, what makes it even more confusing is that he is able to play and stream Cyberpunk on max with RTX without any issues at all. needless to say he is less than happy about this.

PSU make and model (or part number) is?

Another thing to try: switch monitors between PCs. Issue could be with the 4K monitor.

is the wrong video card selected, Game crashes still making the game completely unplayable just tryin to help

He has tried using a 1080p monitor it didn’t make a difference, the PSU is a Corsair 650w, on both.

He has checked the correct video card is being used, and tried turning everything on an off in the 3d settings it made no difference, the game stutters really bad for him and if he tries to stream it he is dropping frames by the thousands, every other game he plays/streams works fine even Cyberpunk with RTX on, no issues, it’s just Generation Zero that’s janky for him.

Well, that doesn’t tell much since there are plethora of Corsair 650W units out there, from crap build quality to great build quality.
E.g: VS, CX, CXm, Vengeance M, TX, TXm, CSm, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, AX. And even within the same model, there are different versions. For example: CX green label, CX gray label.
Here, best is when you can give the part number of a PSU (it’s written on the label). This way, i can look up the exact unit.

Me asking this, is because i think the PSU isn’t capable of keeping the PC running on high loads. And here, it doesn’t matter what the PSU max wattage output is, since when PSU has crap build quality, it will fail to keep the PC running when proper load is put on the PSU (e.g gaming).

For example; if i were to tell you that i have Seasonic 650W PSU, it doesn’t tell you much about it. However, if i were to include my PSU part number: SSR-650TD, you can look it up and see that i have PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) PSU in use, with 12 years of warranty. And if you were to read PSU reviews, you can learn that it’s the best 650W PSU money can buy, with mythical levels of performance (compared to other PSUs).

wish I could be of more help on that one, but as he lives at least a good 800 miles away, I really cant say, all I can say is that it runs and streams Cyberpunk2077 on ultra with RTX on without skipping a beat, so I guess I can assume from that the PSU is powerful enough, (I can tell you my what my PSU is but as I can run the game fine, that would be pointless) but Generation Zero is the ONLY game his system will not run smoothly.

He isn’t using DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) by any chance?