Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

Yeah, it’s a prevalent issue alright. I started a new save and I’m not experiencing nearly as many crashes as before, but it’s still unstable as heck during larger fights and when facing Tanks.

I figure, the more people that post about this issue here the more attention this issue gets. The devs are on the case and I hope we see a fix for this in time for the holidays.

2 Likes

Edit: What I wrote below about overlays were NOT the cause for crashing.

Well for me the culprit was Afterburner/Riva Tuner Statistics server for sure, or the game has miraculously repaired itself. Not a single crash ever since I disabled those, and now I’ve been into every zone, playing for hours both solo and hosting MP games.

1 Like

@OGDH I don’t have either of those, but I do however use ASUS GPU Tweak for a slight overclock to 101% (standard gaming mode). Though I always close it after it launches at Windows startup and I never have it running while playing (I have checked, there isn’t a single of its processes running).

However, since a while back AMD offers its in-game overlay (which I never use) and in the 2020 versions it displays a notice about it on screen whenever I start Generation Zero. Though there doesn’t appear to be a way to disable this without uninstalling the drivers.

May I ask what GPU you use?

I use an old AMD RX570. I’ve used the Radeon overlay with no issues in this game.

1 Like

Xbox
Single player
Streaming on Mixer
Saturday November 14th 2019
Three freezing incidents that booted me back to the home screen.

Hope this information is of some assistance.
SPP

Deep uninstalling Afterburner and RivaTuner made no difference for me. Considering the ubiquitous random crashes occur on all platforms regardless of configuration (including PS4 and Xbox, closed systems) you can be assured that making configuration changes to an otherwise stable system may do more harm than good overall. If you’re driven to try to get some playtime then you can try all these things but obviously it may cause problems for other applications you use to do so and is no guarantee in the long run.

Fighting through a bunker or mission only to crash near the end, or taking on a rival Tank or Harvester only to crash when it’s down to 2% health or as you walk up and attempt to loot it is certainly crushing and very much does destroy enjoyment of this otherwise uncommonly immersive and addicting game experience. I sympathize with your pain as I have been going through it since I purchased the game in October. I have logged hundreds of crashes now and like yourself I may get lucky and have 2 or 3 hours of crash-free play now and again but typically after launch I will get less than 20 minutes, sometimes less than 1 minute.

It does seem that Tanks and Ticks are often nearby, or supposed to be, when the game dies. Sometimes I start hearing the sound of a Tick scurrying right near me every step I take but there isn’t actually one present. It’s a furious scuttling tickety-tick racket that seems to follow me everywhere I go and it will always crash not long after this starts. I suspect it may be a Tick spawning under the ground or inside a wall. Guaranteed crash coming when I start hearing it.

PS4 solo. Crashes began after I switched to another character. Every 5-20 minutes at random moments, but seem to be more often when using .270 rifle. Then I switched back from this “buggy” character to previous one without such problem. Guess what? Same random crashes regardless of weapon used. This renders game unplayable at all.

I started playing a week ago and while I haven’t had any crashes at all, my friend who also got the game so we could do coop experiences random crashes. Seems it’s a lot worse in coop mode, but sometimes he can go for hours and hours between crashes, sometimes it’s just a few minutes., sometimes it’s a freeze, sometimes dumped to desktop. Almost never with a crash report. I’ll see if he’ll check windows error reports but he’s pretty pissed off and ready to quit playing rather than go through the hassle of trying stuff.

I know he’s on I5/1070ti/W7/HDD and has tried new and old video drivers, etc., and doesn’t have crashes in other games, just this one.

I think it’s strange that I’m on I7/2080ti/W10/SSD and never have any crashes. I haven’t updated video drivers in a while, and run a pretty bare system overall.

Ive been experiencing some random crashes here and there
and ive got a

Intel Core i7 4930K Hexa-core 3.9 Ghz
Gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
Corsair H-100i
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID 11GB 352 Bit
Creative Soundblaster X-fi Fatal1ty Titanium Professional
Creative Soundblaster Digital 20K2
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 32GB CAS 9
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G502 Proteus Gaming Mouse

but my little brother is crashing randomly every 20 minutes or less and hes got an
intel core i5 processor
Windows 7
and a gtx 1050ti
16 gb ram.
He also doesnt have crashes on any other game. Just this one.
What is going on with this game?

Just a little note and this has been discussed before but I am finding that by deleting not just cache.bin but the other two files that are always in the cache folder (file names are just numbers) that I tend to get a little more time in before crashes. So far, anyway. Whereas without doing this it seems to get in a loop where I can’t make it 2 minutes sometimes not even 30 seconds. The crashes still come, but it does seem to be a little less frequent by clearing out cache and those other two files between launches. Probably it’s that whatever goes haywire in the code is pulled right back up from the cache. Note I never touch those two “released” folders in the cache folder nor their contents.

Those files with numbers… are PNG graphics for the main menu background :upside_down_face: (simply add .png at the end :wink: )

I seriously doubt that the cache.bin file has anything more to do than to handle those two files.

Well what is it? I’m tired of this crashing! I want to know if I and my 2 brothers bought a lemon!

It’s being worked on for this month’s update. I hope this thread has had some amount of impact on prioritising this issue for a fix. I know how frustrating it is, and I’d like it fixed too. We’ll just have to be patient that the devs will figure this thing out.

If you look through the forum, it crashes for most people. More so in multiplayer than single player. And I find that the better the internet connection of the host, the less it crashes in multiplayer.

Big fire-fights in urban areas are more likely to crash than strolling through the landscape.

Himfjall, the DLC island, seems worst of all for crashes, particularly in the south of the island.

Your hardware is unlikely to make much of a difference as the crashes happen across all formats, including consoles.

1 Like

It seems that way, but I’ve played maybe 30-40 hours now without a crash in single and multiplayer. My friend crashes every couple minutes. I’d think that if it were not hardware related in the least, all players would crash relatively as often as any other given player.

It’s certainly a tricky one to isolate it seems. Some nights I can play for hours, crash free, multiplayer and single player.

Other times I give up after I’ve crashed for the 4th or 5th time in 20mins.

The fact that consoles exhibit the same behaviour points away from it being a PC hardware specific / driver issue, and more likely to be software related.

Chatting in-game with other players, universally everyone I’ve spoken to while playing online suffers repeated crashes, it’s *that" common place. (certainly on Xbox)

More often than not players drop out, only to return minutes later after they’ve crashed. They rejoin, say “crashed again” over the mic, we shrug, make a joke of it and carry on. I’ve never known a game as buggy as this.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the game and persist with it regardless, but these issues have been around for months now.

2 Likes

My game super rarely crashes solo but these last 2 days its slowly been getting worse.

I’m a little bored and just lvling a second character on the respawning beacon/apoc tank by the skislope and let say I have crashed 15 times today now. Mostly after combat ends.

One of my friends updated graphics drivers yesterday and they’ve had solid crashes all evening. Win7, and a 960, I think. Something changed with recent drivers?

The more interesting question would be: Which driver version was it before?

They don’t know. They couldn’t get out of saltholmen it was that bad. After a reboot it seems to have settled. Sorry for unhelpful info.