Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

If anyone is using nVidia and NOT crashing, what nVidia driver version do you have installed?

Although some low tier Pcs or laptops might help the game to crash…this has been happening in xbox and ps4 too, so i do not think it is a hardware problem, but a software one.
And it`s been worse since the end October update.

1 Like

My game crashes nowadays comes solely with disarmed Tanks and their charging attack.
Biggest bug around anymore is the falling through the ground, but it can be fixed by teleporting few times between different safe houses.

Currently 441.41

Now the nvidia driver component errors have ceased. I guess maybe I resolved that. Now it’s back to generationzero_f.exe being the faulting module for the crashes.

Incidentally, I’ve never fallen through the terrain. Gosh this app has issues.

Atm i keep crashing almost after every fight. This is really getting old now :frowning:

Since there are so many memory violation errors I tried disabling Execute Disable Bit in BIOS which is a feature on modern processors which protects against various malicious and bad code by preventing execution of code in certain memory pages. It can result in crashes if a piece of software is written in such a way that it will try to execute code from the kernel’s reserved memory in attempts to boost performance.
It could also explain why not everyone is affected because some might not have this feature of their processor enabled. It is best not to disable it because it is a security vulnerability to do so.
I am also here to report that it has not stopped the crashing.

Again I say, since the crashes happen anytime, that it is related to processes happening within the game and is not the result of a player’s action. This because the same errors occur when standing still or a few times even on the pause screen. You can see during pause that the robots and weather cycles are continuing even though the game is paused.

Anyway - it’s something you could try, but it didn’t work for me and I don’t recommend it for security reasons.

Just another note - I left the Fort Torsberga area because it decided to lock all the doors on me and on top of the incessant crashing I just gave up and wandered elsewhere. As it turned out I got a lot of playtime in with very few crashes after heading north. Things got a little harry for me up north so I fast traveled back to Torsberga to see if the doors had magically decided to be open and they were. However I didn’t make it very far until the game crashed. Then it wanted to just keep crashing.

I think Fort Torsberga and certain other areas are seriously bugged. For one thing, inside Torsberga somewhere I was walking in a smaller generator or big machine type room and all of the metal panels I was clank…clank…clank… walking on suddenly disappeared. I was moving quickly or I probably would have fallen through. They just vanished! Of course once I hopped away they looked solid again.

I just can’t do anything around there without constant crashing whereas other areas seem a lot better. Yet, maybe it’s just a repeating coincidence.

I guess it’s too early to tell, but I’ve been playing solo a couple of nights, and while playing I’ve shut down MSI Afterburner. I’m running Win 10 pro.

So far not a single crash, but that may also have to do with the areas I’m currently in.

I’ll keep you posted.

I performed extensive deep uninstalls of MSI Afterburner along with its companion app RivaTuner and it made zero difference. I got a lot of uninterrupted playtime in the last few days by moving to an area I had not been in before (Mountains from South Coast). Eventually in the northern areas of Mountains I started getting frequent crashes again. If I go back to South Coast, especially Ft Torsberga it all goes belly up again, but the same is now starting to happen in Mountains. Seems that the numerous terrain holes/physics bugs/etc in combination with Rivals and leveling up a map area, and errors within certain locations are all related to the crashing.

I took a weapon out of the Plundra and placed it in my inventory not realizing I had only one inventory space on my person. Instead of just not placing it there or informing me I had no space left in my backpack it instantly crashed. That’s the first time I’ve had an obvious inventory-related crash among the now hundreds of crashes I’ve experienced.

There are more than one reason for the crashes judging by what I can glean from the error reports. Memory violations are the most prolific, I had one day of nvidia driver errors that disappeared as mysteriously as they arrived, and yesterday I got a couple of net.dll crashes. 90% of the crashes are memory violations with generationzero_f.exe as the faulting module.

The more I think about it the more I think, which corroborates with the player in this thread who saw something in the Rivals system as the flaw, that the leveling up system is causing a lot of these. When I first started the game I had no crashes. As I began gaining experience and the map levels began rising crashes became frequent to the point of being total unplayable. As I move into new map areas the crashes mysteriously vanish for hours, but eventually pick up again. This suggests to me that the majority of the errors are related to whatever happens in the game’s engine as an area becomes more complex with Rivals, etc.

Compounding that the errors in the map seem to contribute to crashes as well due to all the audio/physics/map errors.

Hearing those loud white noise bursts is pretty much always an indicator of worse crashing and it definitely has something to do with enemy spawns. Speaking of which, I’m seeing enemies spawn half in and out of walls, stuck in weird places, or just being plain invisible. I was in a barn in Mountains area by where The Fallen mission point is. I’d cleared out the farm and all was quiet. I was in one of the barns looking for loot when suddenly I heard a Hunter so loud it was right next me. Roaring, beeping, etc. I was panicked but it was nowhere to be seen. No directional indicator showed anything nearby. I looked all around but though I could hear it like it was right next to me I could never figure out where it was. Crazy!
I’m sure these kinds of errors are also causing the engine to go nuts trying to solve the problem.

In mountains approaching the town of Klitshe or something like that in the north I was crouched walking towards a bridge. It looked like I could fit under the railing but as soon as I moved through it I instantly became impossibly stuck and could not ever move. Eventually in trying the game crashed. If enemies are getting stuck similarly on terrain one would assume it could be responsible for some of the crashes as well.

Do you have a region with max number of rivals (8) and all being level 4? I’d be curious if that reduces your crash frequency.

Weird. I have seen this reported before. But it never happens to me. I am on PC. I started playing end of October.

That’s because you’re too chicken to try it out, pok-POK! :hatching_chick::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But all kidding aside. :slight_smile: Obviously it won’t happen if you usually prepare your inventory -before- you try to grab something from it. I have never had this happen before either until I deliberately tried it out.

Nevertheless it should not happen at all and there are obviously some checks missing (or weirdly implemented) in the game.

Considering stuff like those duplicate attachments (which may point to some pointer/reference problems), it could be something related to pointers in other parts of the game engine too. If some “forgotten” pointer still points to an old memory location and that memory location is suddenly used for something else (freed by the engine) then it’s usually just a matter of time before access violations are a fact. Pointers are incredibly powerful but they can also very easily lead to incredibly powerful headaches.

But who knows. It might be something completely diffferent.

The last crash I had did not leave a trace in the event logs. The one before that had GenerationZero_F.exe as faulting application and ntdll.dll as faulting module. But I have no idea under what circumstances it crashed back then. It might have been a variant caused by Riva Tuner Statistics Server since I almost always run that in the background and since that seems to be a major cause for crashing (although that usually gives savemedia64.dll as the faulting module).

Yeah i play on PS4 and i still get a lot of crashes with some weird error code

I’ve only been to three areas thus far. The starting area, South Coast and now Mountains. Yesterday I cleaned out the starting area of Rivals but I haven’t spent enough time there yet to determine if the crashes are diminished as a result. I think starting area is at Level 11. Mountains are at Level 1. I don’t know what South Coast’s area level is at the moment. South Coast has several Rivals and that area also crashes the most frequently so… maybe it’s related. I don’t know all their levels off hand. Mountains is up to 3 or 4 rivals now I think and it’s starting to crash more and more whereas I went many hours without a crash. Whether or not the Rival system is part of the fault I can’t say for sure but there is at least a plausible correlation. With so many problems going on at once there is likely not one single root cause… but anything is possible. Voodoo’s comments about pointers could explain how one bad problem can be at the heart of a slew of seemingly unrelated randomness.

Last night I had played crash free for two or three hours. I put the game on pause. I was standing by Plundra in a church in the Mountains area if I recall correctly, though it may have been South Coast. I paused the game to take a telephone call and while I was using the phone with the game on pause it crashed to desktop and opened Crash Reporter. I’ve said it before and it seems incontrovertible that the game’s background mechanics have one or more serious fatal errors in their implementation. Weather and machines continue to “live” in the game world even when paused. If you pause them game when you at a vantage point to see a group of machines you will see them continue roaming around on the pause screen, eventually roaming off into the distance and disappearing unless they are in a fixed mission-based location. You can pause the game in daytime and come back a while later to unpause it and find it is night time now in-game. What’s happening at this point in the game’s code when the user is taken out of the game but the game world persists? That’s where at least one big source of issues will be found I think.

Ok so I don’t have max Rivals in any area. First area has zero, and strangely though I’ve completed everything in that area it says the level area is 1. Not sure how level areas work but having killed lots there including all the rivals I would think the area’s level would have risen. South Coast is level 9 but I’m pretty sure it was 11 previously. Mountains is level 1. It spawned three or four rivals in the game and upgraded a few more tonight as I played, just from me killing machines I guess. Crashes are getting more frequent again. Just crashed zooming in on binoculars on a building. Crash before that was scrolling through the Plundra inventory at that safe house off of a railroad trussel that always has the same two ticks sitting outside. Super annoying.

:smile:

No, I actually tried this one just yesterday. Not a problem for me.

To clarify: We are talking about taking a 2-slot item from the plundra when you only have 1 free slot in your backpack/inventory. That does not lead to any crash of sorts on my rig.

I am sure that is true. I was just wondering whether rivals spawns are an issue. Someone else had this (@0L0, I believe), where rival spawns seemingly lead to crashes. But then rivals wouldn’t spawn at all.

I asked for max level because then no rivals spawn in that area. Rivals spawn only in the area you are atm. Killing enemies increases your region level. With higher level, rivals spawn more frequently. Your max region level is 20 with 9411 (?) score, and you can have a max of 8 rivals per region. If you kill a rival, region level decreases. If you kill a rival tank, it can drop to 1. The higher the rival level (1-4), the higher the likelihood of dropping experimental weapons. That basically it. You can find more info here:
How to get a rival to spawn (guide)

Exactly that happened to me a couple of times, actually. Although there is no such thing as a pause in this game. As it is also designed for mulitplayer (or used for that), pausing just wouldn’t work. Hence there are also no “waiting” or sleeping mechanics.

Edit: What I wrote below about overlays were NOT the cause for crashing.

Follow up to my earlier post about MSI Afterburner. I still haven’t had a single crash since I disabled Afterburner, and I’ve had numerous Rivals spawn without any problems. I used to be plagued by crashes left and right for a while, always happening right after finishing a battle.
I’ll keep on testing, but so far it seems like overlays, like Afterburner, may have some impact on crashes in this game.

That’s great your crashing has stopped. I wish deep uninstalling Afterburner had worked for me. I think individuals can get lucky for one reason or another by trying various things which is why I keep up the fight but since the crashing is on platforms even closed systems like consoles I think workarounds and lucky variables are all we’ve got until the root issues are address in the game’s engine.
They’re using a lot of licensed modules in their engine for all kinds of things (fmod, havoc, etc) so it might be tough for them to iron out if there is a conflict among those or just bad bugs in one or more. They wouldn’t necessarily have the means to access or correct the code in those engines, leaving them at the mercy of the developing companies responsible.

2 Likes

Indeed. Just to make it clear - I’m not sure my crashes has stopped, or what the cause may be. Just thought I should share my experience.
As for crashing when it comes to consoles, I have nothing to say about that.

Yesterday I picked up on Generation Zero again after not playing it for ~7 months and sadly, now a couple of updates later I still experience crashing. The longest I’ve (surprisingly) managed to play so far has been 2-2.5 hours, but just as I was 99% done with Vesslan Command Bunker, it crashed. Now I’m forced to replay the whole thing again, but I’m almost out of ammo and all loot has already been taken.

I tried it again today but it crashed after about 20 min. Soon my total ammo count will be at 0.

I hate to sound so dull all the time on this forum, but it’s really impacting the experience negatively. I really like the game and I would like to play it more often if it weren’t for the crashes.

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake (Quad Core, 3.2 GHz)
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC (8 GB)
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 16 GB, 2133 MHz (single channel)
Graphics Driver: Radeon Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2
Monitors: 1 (1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz)
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX-60M2NA0 (1 TB, 7200 RPM)