Frequent Crashes / Endless Crashing - Please Help!

What are your specs, particularly CPU?

It seems to support my other suspicion that it has something to do with thread timing.

Interesting observation. I’d be curious to learn how many of us use the Steam overlay, e.g. to display the FPS, and whether it helps to disable that. I use it, but I also use the RTSS overlay (Afterburner) without issue.

This game has been aggravating has hell! But I must say , its been one of the best games I’ve hated to love and I didn’t know Jack squat about pcs before this game ,and still don’t to a certain degree , but ive learned so much from all of you guys posts on how to problem solve certain issues in order to get the most outta this game. There is a wealth of knowledge here that can’t be overlooked and I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have the patience and take the time to share. You guys are great!

1 Like

I always use MSI Afterburner with Riva Tuner overlays, in every game. I started using Steam overlay after playing GZ for a while, and getting some new Steam friends.

Disabling Afterburner and Steam overlays changes nothing.

I just don’t get this game… It works fine, then it starts to crash instead of creating new rivals, later I reinstall GZ and it goes back to normal… 3 weeks later it crashes again, without any patch/update that could be blamed to trigger it.

1 Like

Disabling Steam overlay, after cache verification, is always one of my first lines of defense when encountering an issue with a game. So I have had Steam overlay off this whole time and still get the crashes. I also did a deep uninstall of Afterburner/RivaTuner in early November when I got into GZ and had so many problems. It didn’t make any difference for me. This Borderless Window thing is the first thing that has seemingly made a real difference, if it’s not a coincidence. I think I’ve put enough time in now over the last three days or so that it has to be what is responsible for the increased stability. It’s still a guaranteed crash if I say, crouch down next to the Plundra in a safehouse and walk away from the computer for several minutes. Then there seems to still be crashes in relation to certain sounds or spawning of enemies namely ticks and Harvesters. Just seems to be related but I’m not sure how. MOST of the incessant crashes seems to have disappeared with Borderless activated. Seems I can get through heavy firefights and such now, and loot the machines afterwards, whereas it was areal rarity to be able to do that before this.

There’s got to be something to do with a caching system or the save system involved because nobody crashes when they are into a new game that I’ve heard of. I didn’t, either. It creeps in and then gets progressively worse. Also that people with exact same systems like Xbox and PS4 can have wildly different experiences with no crashing or tons of crashing points to the only thing that would differentiate between them which would be something that all other things being equal is different on an individual level, which has to be the save and the state of the game world as far as I could suppose.

Hey there, I bought the game 2 days ago during the Steam winter sale, the game ran smooth for about 6-ish hours before the crashes started, Now the game keeps crashing within 30 mintues…

My GPU,CPU etc is not overheating or anything, this is the only game I’ve got this problem with…

My PC:
Windows 7
Gtx 1070 Strix
Intel i7 6700k
16gb ram
SSD

I’ve tried to restart my PC and only run steam + the game, but nope… It still crashes…
I’ve tried to send crash reports to the devs but it says error failed to send…

//Ante

Even crash reports are bugged :wink:

Playing as client works perfectly normal - rivals spawn, no crashes.

this thread seems way too broad , it started from someone who had crashes on a particular setup .
Windows 7x64
Intel Core i5 3570k
16 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 2060 FE
and has turned into a thread of all crashes on all systems.
i think it would be more helpful if we could separate it a bit.
just my thoughts - kindly.

Game keeps crashing for me all the time, also.
Completely unplayable.

Win7 64bit
W3550 @ 3,07 GHz
GTX 1060 6GB
24 GB RAM

Also crashes for my friends who run Win10.

Does the save file increase in size with further progress? Probably, right? Increases time for saving and might be a cause for conflicts.

Might be a good idea to start a new thread with a precise topic/question.

• frequent crashing yes/no
  • specs including HDD/SSD for games
  • game state (progress through the missions, rival state etc.)

Ok so I think you guys may be on to something. I set mine to borderless window mode and played for about an hour or so with no crash. But i was just running around in a bunker looting ammo like we do fighting a couple of runners , so no real strain on my gpus. Started to hear that ghost tick scurrying around and waited for the crash that usually comes but it didnt. I still run the steam overlay because I like watching my fps and I noticed in borderless window mode my frame rate dropped from 140 to around 110. I’m going to try and get into some major firefights today with multiples and see what happens. Trying not to get too excited because most of my crashes happen in multiplayer though I do crash from time to time in single player when I’m in the thick of it. Will report back later.

Hello,
Until the most recent update crashing was very rare for me & mostly happened in MP…Not now.

During this live Mixer stream this morning from the 2:04:00 to the 2:34:00 marks I crashed 3 that’s right 3 times. I am not mad I was embarrassed since I really love the game & want to promote it to others. I really look forward to the what I am sure is the upcoming fix.

If in anyway I sound down on the game DO NOT take it that way…I still 100% love this game.

My experience has been pretty much the same since switching to Borderless Window, but I am still getting crashes. They are just nowhere near as frequent. I have taken a performance hit as well. Strangely I am getting the most crashes from being paused or idle. I too have noticed the phantom tick sound is not setting off a guaranteed crash anymore. I also did some experimenting with that and found it always starts after I drop something onto the ground from my inventory. I can walk around in a bunker for a while with no issues, but then drop an item from my inventory onto the floor and as I gain some distance from it the sound starts. So I go back and pick up the item and it seems to go away. It has predominantly occurred in bunkers but two days ago I was exploring a military base complex above ground in the Marshlands northern shore and after dropping some items by some loot containers it started up there too. Since trying these experiments I have noticed that this weird bug never happens before I have dropped an item to the ground. Another user was onto dropped items being related a while back so I was keeping my eye out and I do think it’s some kind of triggering factor.

I have gotten a few crashes just walking or running since going Borderless and my sense is that it’s occurring at the point when a machine or group of machines is supposed to be spawned in. I have also gotten two crashes where it happens the moment the action progress bar fills up. For example, I open a door by holding the action button and when the white bar gets all the way to the right instead of the door opening the game crashes, or instead of the loot box opening the game crashes. I never saw those before going Borderless. Of course this is all preferably generally to the incessant random crashing that made playing for more than 5 minutes impossible a lot of the time. I am really glad I can now get through extended battles with lots of machines without crashing in the midst of it or before I can loot, more often than not.

1 Like

I take issue with notions such as “I want everyone to do this and that…”

Temps can make your components unstable in case they are overclocked and the temps can create power ‘leaking’ where the resulting voltage isn’t enough anymore. Other than that high temps can lead to throttling (frequency reduction) but components will still be stable and games won’t crash.

At the end of the day it is very (!) unlikely that this particular game shows instability with high temps if other titles won’t.

If you have a PC you should know and check your temps. Of course. But if your PC is fine in general, e.g. during 3dmark stress tests, then you should be able to safely ignore this advice.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Running the game on a PS4 pro using a 1tb SSD drive and runs quite well but this week had nothing but crashes especially when fast travelling to safe houses ?

Any ideas?

1 Like

Crashes are definately NOT hardware related… and Generation Zero is the only game causing these issues. Temps in my system never get above 65°C…

Wanna read something frustrating? Killed about 10-15 runners and about 10-12 hunters (all apocalypse class) while stuck in a bunker, and when the last enemy explodes…boom desktop
==> this fight costed me ~1500 shots of 5,56mm, 900 round 9mm and 15 handgrenades… for nothing.
PC crashed before I could loot the big pile of metal rubble… VERY frustrating…

1 Like

I think that in the scenario you described, it has to do with rivals spawning, since I recognise it all to well. I’ve written about this so many times now, but again, please check any overlays you may be using, be it Afterburner, Steam or whatever, and if you have anything of the sort running, disable them all, and see if things change for the better.

I have been through this so many times, just what you are describing, it is so disheartening.

Yes more and more I do see how it has something to do with Rivals but I don’t know what exactly.

I started crashing A LOT again despite the Borderless window setting. I couldn’t imagine what was going on and still can’t, as has been for more than two months. I decided to wipe out as many Rivals as I could with what I had and managed to remove four or five of them and interestingly haven’t had a crash for hours since doing that. It had been quite a while since I hunted one down just because I was busy with other things.

Someone from Avalanche is on Steam within the last hour and said the crashing is a small problem that affects very few people and is related to individual hardware and that it is best to send your reports to support@generationzero.com and they will help people individually from there.

Unfortunately after sending my crash reports as requested to support they never replied and it’s been over a month now. I have saved over 100 more crash reporter dumps with crash circumstance descriptions since then.

We are the lucky ones :wink: …and this is a bull :poop: answer to our problem, because there is nothing wrong with our hardware.