How to get a rival to spawn (guide)

Semi-related question to seasoned players (obscure topic, but maybe someone knows):

I recently decided to give old-school GZ (April 2020) another round. Ran through Alpine Unrest, got some rivals etc. Any chance to get a exp KVM59 in the vanilla game, or was it event-only? I can’t quite remember if the thing was in the regular loot pool back then…

Back in that update it was event only then added during FNIX Rising update i believe.

1 Like

@Indominus-J , @Snipergirl - thanks for the advice. I’m liable to give it another shot, even if it’s futile. I already got my fave loadout, and the old version prevents online play, so no more trading. I mainly wanted to try the KVM as I already got 5* attachments for it, but the best I found up until now was a 4* variant of the gun itself…

I believe they got it from the rival page I made. The wording may not be technically correct but it works the same way.

This page can be used to get a decent overview of what rivals are and their place in the game.

Do the points get any higher for apoc? Same question with drop rates too.

Of you mean for points lost from destroying the rival then yes it gets larger, same with killing a normal apoc machine, it has around 30 more points gained per apoc machine kill compared to the FNIX but does vary a lot depending on the machine itself. For drop rates i believe the Apoc machines have the highest drop chance of EXP weapons, excluding the reaper.

1 Like

Machines can turn into rivals when a certain level of damage is done in that region by the player. Not if the player get killed by a machine.

In fact it is possible!
Once I got killed in a very hard battle, a runner became a personal rival.

But as far as I remember it was the only personal rival I got in hundreds of hours.

Yeah I heard the stories, that people say to get rivals you have to let them kill you. Not saying it’s not true… I just don’t believe it. But you do have to kill a lot of machines. And imo rivals just appear because you did enough damage. Probably the algoritme counts damage to the FNIX forces in stead of kills. So that runner has taken damage and that was enough total damage to get a rival without killing it.

Just try to spawn a rival by never killing any machine. Just let yourself get killed over and over.

How do you know that the machine is awarded points, SG? Can we see this?

:grin: Rookie. :coffee: I alway said I avoid battle, still I killed a lot of them.

Anyway I never have seen that. But I don’t use the tech view much. I have taken a quick techview screenshot of a rival. But I don’t see any XP or defeated information.

Ah :eyes:, I used that profile view sometime if I wanted to know what kind of rival it was. Forgot about that view. Still I did not pay much attention to all other info.

I loved the (rookie) arrow though. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve got a harvester with the name “The Raider of the Croplands”

has anyone experienced a triple rival spawn in the same location?

i was looking for buckshot schematic, so i looked at the map (i was at the norrmyra artillery base), when i saw three apocalypse class hunter rivals in a group. this was a first for me, so i killed them and their entourage and looted them. they had rival loot and after the loot was taken, the rival name disappeared from all but one.

It’s common to have rivals walking together, especially on smaller areas or in areas with bottlenecks such as bridges. And rivals tend to walk across the map, it is common for a rival from the north coast to reach the south coast or the archipelago. A rival’s region of origin can be seen in their profile.

A rival’s name won’t disappear until you’ve taken all its loot. This was implemented in a 2020 update if I’m not mistaken. It was easy to lose sight of a rival after a great battle.