Hunger, Thirst, and Sleep requirements

Adding a “needs” system would add to the realism, and provide another challenge as your character becomes slower and delirious, even hearing things that aren’t actually there, and even interfere with your aim and the bar that shows when you’re being detected.

4 Likes

I was thinking directly about Miscreated or DayZ (minus the zombies). I played for the first time and the graphics and experience is amazing. However the player does not need food, rest, there’s no consequence of beeing in the rain and hypothermia, you can’t start a fire to warm yourself or even hunt for food, fishing. that sort of stuff. This sort of expansion could add the next level of realism to this already awsome product.

You could have chosen a newer topic about that instead of a 4 year old one…

I love these small imaginations:

1 Like

THIS is one DLC expansion I must buy if it comes to it. In a hartbeat.

1 Like

It’s actually an outstanding idea. However, I wouldn’t hold your breath on that being implemented into this game.

I have hope this would be possible. if you look around the enviroment, i saw beer cans, sausage cans, pot belly stoves, ciggaretes, iron pots, potatos, cast iron pots and a fireplace with stones.

1 Like

They could make a few other food items work like the Semla giving you 10, 20 or 30% health. If the devs thinking about giving us more variety in health resources, they might just implement it.
I would welcome that, but not hunger and thirst. :coffee:

It’s a bit harder than just placing some props, you need design and programming to get it all functional, UI for the… UI elements, and then there is also the matter of balancing. I don’t think SR want to fracture their playerbase. It would add nothing tangible to the game for most players but some additional death counters that would have to be maintained.

And what would happen if you didn’t eat or drink? And what of the health kits and adrenaline shots and how the whole health system works now, should that be completely redone?

I have Ark which is designed to be an all out survival game. Where you have to eat, drink and poop regularly. Also sleeping and staying warm or cool off. One spot in the map I get in the water to cool off and get to cold but getting out of the water get to hot, so couldn’t go to far. You can even make use of collecting your own poop and poop of the animals. It became too tedious looking for things to survive on than just learning to play the game.

Got grounded and played for less than an hour before asking for a refund. Both games are not for me and happy that Gen Zero did NOT go in that direction. But as been mentioned, there are other games that do have that function in them, but see no reason all games should have the same survival functions in them to make them more realistic? What made you want to play Gen Zero, because you thought it would be the same as all the other games? Or because it is not?

2 Likes

Changing a games type shouldn’t be done during its lifetime… If it’s already released for some years.

These mechanics would change this shooter to a survival game and the needed changes (code and balancing, even story and missions) are too much if you want to integrate it.

Such a game of course could work, but just if it’s intended and focussed right from the start of development.

Survival elements like hunger and thirst are such deep going core elements that every part of the game would have to be redone.

It’s not like base building, which in fact is an optional thing. But even this optional thing brought many issues for the core of the game. Remind of the disappearing machines next to control points, crashes and performance issues… And the new introduction mission which still may cause issues that block your mission progression.

Crafting on the other hand goes almost as deep and as you can see (if you followed the game for some years) there was very much work put into it. But except for experimental ammo/items and dlc-items (and one standard first aid kit during one of the first missions) you can play the game even without crafting anything.

This wouldn’t be possible with hunger, thirst and similar survival elements.

3 Likes

Guys…just go play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. its considered old but its the most interesting game series from all the “realist” survival games where you have all those game mechanics and combat is actually fun.
There are some free versions of it online, Lost alpha, Anomaly, oblivion lost and a few other mods that dont need the “real” game installed to play.

3 Likes

Well… actually I like the game for what it is and that’s without any of the “real survival mechanics”…
There are so many wannabee “survival” games out there maybe try playing one of these…

There’s no need for this, even more if it’s poorly implemented and you have to drink and eat every 5 min. to not starve from hunger and thirst or die from staying more than 1 min. out in the rain…

Just my 2 Ct. though ymmv

3 Likes

they need to allow grocery stores to be open and ability to use self checkout

1 Like

Did you never visit a Kundsam?

Re: What made you want to play Gen Zero, because you thought it would be the same as all the other games? Or because it is not?

Gen Zero captured my imagination because it is set in a alternative reality plus the graphics and feel of the game is extremely unique. The game screams out to have a survival mechanisms similar to The Long Dark. There are some buildings in the game where they apear to be abandoned but still have a fireplace, a pot belly stove, some pans. There appears to be alot of canned food to prepare and cook. bread, potatoes, water bottles, fruit. an axe to cut wood and ligh up the fireplace. Well the game sort of branches off into survival category essentially

1 Like

No meter management thanks.

There’s no incentive to sitting in place anyway, so likewise there shouldn’t be any reason to discourage it. All this would do is add more inventory management; in which case the simpler change would be to just reduce inventory size because that’s all this would accomplish.

2 Likes

Exactly, and nothing will get people to QUIT the game faster than adding it to the growing number of survival crafting games already out there. We do not need survival features added when just not getting shot is more than a many players can seem to handle.

side-eyes multiplayer

1 Like

I agree with what you’ve said 100%, as far as the game’s currently concerned. Of course, there’s little preventing the developers from adding a hardcore- or survival- mode with these and other features (like no fast travel, for example) added in. Once added in, those who don’t want those features could simply ignore that game mode.

Having said that, there are likely other things in greater demand at present. Then there’s the fact that the developers don’t want to add such a mode. So while it’s definitely a doable idea, it’s highly unlikely to ever be on their radar.

2 Likes

Yes, I should state that I have no use for it being MANDITORY Survival Mode. That’s not the game I bought, not the game I want, and I’ve bought all the DLCs so far, making such a move a huge slap in the face. Par for the course for a publisher, but not something I would expect from a developer that put as much love into their product as this one has clearly showed.

3 Likes

Kind of like how the base building/defense shows up in the game a few years later.