I see things differently now

Very cool to see actual pics from Sweden to compare to the game. By all means, keep them coming!

Am I the only one that has the overwhelming urge to open and loot that shipping container?

3 Likes

It’s a red one. There could be a delivery of runners inside. :joy:

5 Likes

“There’s a barn, it must be a safehouse!”

Just thought about one of the last episodes of @NeebsGaming :rofl:

2 Likes

I think this would be the guaranteed safe house.

2 Likes

Wonderful. Unless it’s the church on western-himfjäll…

1 Like

I am from UK and I visit Sweden when I can, it’s a very nice country I guess I just like the nature and smaller towns, when I was there last I had exactly the same thing, also some places in Norway I’ve been, the game has some amazing locations and the feel is great :v:

3 Likes

Wait, is that…
Oh snap, not even a pair of punk pants or some .32 acp… 🫤

2 Likes

Did you check nearby houses and cars too? :smiley:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Glitch road to salthamn - clear the bridge

This is one of the reasons why I love Gen Zero, it all feels so unfamiliar. Heck even the forests give me this vibe, mostly becasue they don’t look the same as the forests I’m used to here in northern Canada.

2 Likes

For me it is the opposite, i am Swedish and for me everything feels familiar like the buildings, signs, cars, nature and culture.

2 Likes

I drove an off-road built Jeep for a few years. It is a Jeep owner thing that when you see another Jeep you wave at them by holding up your right hand with just the thumb and the first finger up to form a “J”. Only Jeep owners know about this… Gen Zero is the same way without any special hand signs…You just know when you see it that is where Gen Zero got it.

I have a story from the game that might sound unrelated at first, but bear with me…

I only started playing recently. Really got into this game, started exploring the map, just soaking in the Swedish countryside atmosphere. I realized pretty soon that there are very few major settlements, mostly small homesteads here and there.

One exception though, apparently: Östervik. Looking at the map, it seemed like a proper city. Wide streets, modern buildings, skyscrapers even maybe!

You can imagine my disappointment when I first went into the location. “Oh. It looks just like the rest, the same flat farm buildings again, just more of them”.

So I figured, that’s just the devs being lazy, re-using existing game assets instead of modeling new ones. “They were probably too lazy to model the real Östervik”.

Then I googled the real Östervik :sweat_smile:

o2_1

I don’t wanna a 400 GB video game :rofl: that’s what it would take to get every little thing realistic, :upside_down_face:, games that take place in New York city, if they were get right down to it, lets get every little detail right down to EVERY single inside apartments & businesses, you would have somewhere around 100000 GB video game, I don’t want a that

and while we’re at it, :rofl::rofl::rofl: let’s make sure to get every single tree looking unique and different, :evergreen_tree: no tree looks the same lol

one day Google Maps will scan towns realistic appearances to video games :dizzy_face: game environment, but that’s a longs ways off, but people making video games couldn’t possibly get every nook & cranny of a towns environment right down to the were the paper towels are in EVERY home in New York City, to get a exact replica of that town when making a video game in that town, only Google Maps will be able to that, in maybe 30 or 40 years

so let’s enjoy what we have, there not Google Maps, there only human

Nah, that wasn’t what I meant, didn’t mean that the town looks wrong. Quite the opposite actually.

I was just amused that the biggest settlement on the fictional island is still just a collection of cottages, and that this seems to actually match the real Swedish countryside

Östervik ingame is actually what towns in Sweden look like. Many popped up during land-buyer booms hundreds of years ago and grew into townships we see today. That’s why there are still many village houses and farms.

When I first saw Östervik I was amazed at how realistic it looked compared to places in Sweden I’ve been to.

I’m not joking when I say that this game has made me want to visit Sweden real bad.

Avalanche studios should request subsidies from the Swedish board of tourism for their next title :sweat_smile:

(the only problem is, I will be a bit disappointed if I don’t hear a “WOOOOOOH” *stomp* *stomp* somewhere in the distance when I’m over there)

2 Likes