Interesting locations

The games Name is “The Hunter Call of the Wild.” You play a Hunter and you hunt Stags, Bears, Does. You can see it on Steam. It has the same stunning graphic engine. On Steam there are some Teasers.

2 Likes

In this topic I like to talk about everything you found in the GZ world, that made you wonder, so feel free to put your 2 cents in.

Roaming around in GZ you come around sings or structures that to me are like markers. Ancient markers or resistance markers.

20200725234205_1
I don’t really know if they are significant to GZ, nor how many there are. They might be part of Swedish culture.

2 Likes

Those are stone cairns. I’m not sure what the exact word is in Swedish (despite being Swedish) but they are fairly common. They’re not necessarily ancient, and they’re not resistance markers. Cairns are used in modern times mostly as landmarks and in Scandinavia as trail and sea markers.

2 Likes

I found them for instance at the entrance or exits of some caves. Where the big gaping mouth of the cave doesn’t really need marking. Good to know they are called Cairns. It’s interesting to find out more about these little stone towers. There are also bigger stones in a circle, are those also Cairns?

picture

This is called a Skeppsättning. I don’t know the english translation for it, but basically they’re remnants from the viking age. When people could not afford a viking funeral with an actual longboat, they constructed these to make sure the dead had safe passage to the afterlife.

They may also have had other ritualistic purposes.

2 Likes

It sounds like a ship settling. Last settlement. I have not seen these in GZ. That would be cool though.

I feel like it’s important to note that the term “viking” was solely a profession and only describes those Norse people who left their homelands to raid and trade. Those Norse people who stayed in their homelands were not vikings, and yet the word is used in modern English to describe them as well, even if it’s not really correct.

4 Likes

The at-home-stayers were Vikingswifes, Vikingssons, Vikingsdaughters etc.:wink:

3 Likes

@Gysbert Since we already have a discussion topic in the forums where people can share and discuss interesting, curious etc locations they find within the game, there’s no point to cross-post the same thing twice. Due to that, topics merged.

//Mod

3 Likes

saw that coming :+1:

Every discussion topic in the forums is bound to the initial topic and while this discussion has quite loose topic, where people can post and discuss any interesting location they see within the world of GZ, just like you created your discussion topic, discussion topics are still bound by forum rules to stay on topic. This isn’t Discord chat room where discussion can go where-ever people lead it to.
Let’s not forget that we are in the forums.

When you have an off-topic question/reply to make or like to discuss something off-topic, you are free to do it via PMs.

//Mod

1 Like

But no Turkeys :joy::joy::joy:

@helldiver

2 Likes

There are turkeys now in COTW, in case you didn’t know… :wink:

2 Likes

@Gysbert

In before deletion…I fully agree.

Especially for a game with such a small, dedicated, and intelligent fan base.

EDIT: …and with how much the huge world leaves people to fill in / make up their own details. This topic should have a bit more Freedom to discuss those things that the game brings to people’s minds.

2 Likes

Oh wow!

I had just read a bunch of reviews complaining of no turkeys…guess they were old! I haven’t actually played the game.

@NJR87

3 Likes

Hello, I found another Explanation on the german side of Wikipedia. It is there under the german Topic “Steinmännchen” engl. Stoneman The meaning is a waymark or Bordermarks. They where spread over the whole World. Even in Germany. Wanderers should lay stones on it and repair it when it is found damaged. In Norway a wanderer should lay a stone on it to prevent an attack from a “Troll” . I believe the mystical Sweden there exist “Trolls” too. I found an swedish expression for that stoneheaps Reichsrösen ( riksrösen ) pherhaps you know this expression. So when you pass a stoneheap like this in the picture, lay a stone on it because the Trolls (Hunters sometimes i call them so) are lurking. :grin:

4 Likes

They are sentry boxes. They have been seen at other FOA areas.

3 Likes

Is this an answer to the question I began the topic with? :slight_smile:

If so, that’s ok, but…
If they are meant as pillboxes to shoot from, they’re not very cleverly designed.
If they are meant for observation, the two I referred to are not very cleverly placed.
In fact, they’re awfully designed for both of those purposes.

The two “boxes” in my screenshot are facing a downhill clearing in the forest, with nothing going on there, nor any signs of any past activity. If they were observation posts, made for watching the sea for enemy ships, let’s just say the ship would spot the boxes first! They’re protruding and all lit up by a streetlight! :joy:

3 Likes

There’s a lot in the game world that can’t easily be explained. For example what was going on at that site? It looks like an army convoy pulled up in a clearing and began to establish some kind of testing facility with combat weapons being used against machines; there’s a shed with monitoring or testing equipment and barricades and then the big machine hatches in the ground. Then a bunch of destroyed machines and killed soldiers so something went wrong - or was attacked - but what? And why? We don’t know. The activity looks rushed and temporary yet the underground hatches suggest a long development time. The sentry boxes might have been craned off trucks and set down to be planted in their correct positions later, or perhaps they were being used in blast or gunfire tests. Your guess is as good as mine, though I agree the actual places they are sited there make no real sense.

On a more mundane note a game studio like Avalanche creates a massive library of assets and reuses them at multiple locations as we’ve seen in GZ and you see in most other games. I’ve done the exact same myself while building routes in train simulators, its easier to work from a library of 3D modelled assets and use whatever is close to what you need than to custom make an asset separately for each location. I’m quite sure that there are very boring and prosaic answers to some questions in GZ where the fanbase is wondering what something means when the Avalanche team probably just plonked a 3D model down because they had one laying around and it “looked cool”.

3 Likes

Radar type things? ‘What is this called 1’ Any idea?

What is this called 1 other side

What is this called 2

2 Likes