Letter from the Team - April 23rd

that’s very different kind of 9mm - it’s 9x39 pointy “rifle-style” cartridge. Though SVD’s and G3’s cartridges are similar (7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R), but a bit different shape (bigger rim on 54R, for example, hence curved mags on SVD vs straight on G3).

We have AK ammo precedent. In this case I see Dragunov as accurized G3 (better ballistics and better long range accuracy), though these two rifles are bitter rivals among DMRs (G3 was that good at the time - marksman-grade rifle right out of the box and SVD is first purpose-built DMR, not based on existing or accurized conversion gun).
Or I see it as much desired “semi-auto hunting rifle”, again, in more ubiquitous 7.62 caliber, comparable with .270 FMJ.

As for RPG-7 - new ammo type, no other way around.

Well, we’ll see it when it comes.

I know, that’s why I said “if it’s not based on reality” :slight_smile:
And because they feed AK-74 with 7.62x51 so I can imagine they’d feed Val with 9mm SMG, which, irrationally, differs from 9mm for Klaucke.

No question about RPG, it must be a new ammo :slight_smile:

We will see :- :ghost:

I’m more sure the more I think about it, that we’ll get 3 new ammo types.

New rockets for the RLG-7 are obvious.

The AT-WAD is an assault rifle, it said so in the newsletter. The 9x19 mm and the 9x39 mm are just too different that they could mix/match them.

And while the 7.62 mm could fit for the Kotenok, it’s just too over-abundant to fit the role of a sniper rifle. You wouldn’t have to conserve ammo what so ever!

I don’t think so because then no other weapon than those can use the ammo, one maybe two new ammo types could get added but three? No I don’t think so, implementing three new ammo types for a minor DLC would be a bit much! And if there were new ammo types then would non DLC players get that ammo? I think it would be weird not giving them but if they got it for what use when they can’t use it?

There’s “Тигр” (En:“Tiger”) civilian carbines based on military SVDs wich can come either 7.62x54R, 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Win, to be specific) and .30-06 Springfield. Fun fact about latter one: .270 is basically same .30-06 (7.85mm) with slightly smaller (7mm) bullet. So in this universe Soviets could prepare special series of SVD for .270 Win, knowing how good cartridge is and how popular it is in Sweden (for lessening logistics load). Or just boldly adopt it as sniper cartridge for DMRs.
If it goes with “green” 7.62, I’d assume this gun as low-DPS crit-shooter, as with Semi-auto vs pump shotguns. There were a lot of situations in my experience where semi-auto could save my life if gun wouyld cycle a bit faster. Slower yet stronger than G3 and latter gets in the golden spot between AK and SVD.
OR
As semi-auto “hunting rifle” - in here this gun is a bit weaker than bolt-actions in dmg/shot, but compensated for faster follow-up shots.

About 9mm smg closest we could have to Val is СР-2 “Вереск” (SR-2 “Heather”) - it uses simiral mechanisms, but it’s “Uzi” pattern gun (magwell as grip, at center of mass). Theoretically Soviets could build their own “MP5SD” based on Val, but with pistol cartridge. For some reason they didn’t (I dunno why). This assumption comes from how they built AK around 9x39 (AK-9) and as SMG ПП-19 “Бизон”/ПП-19-01 “Витязь” (PP-19 “Bison”/PP-19-01 " Vityaz’ ") which are basically AK’s with pistol caliber (difference are magazines and how they are attached).

1 Like

Some new info regards AT-WAD and it’s ammo.

From latest dev stream come these two screens:

As we can see, AT-WAD will have it’s own ammo, 9x39mm. And both the FMJ and AP versions.

4 Likes

We already have a bunch of guns that shoot 7.62, and other guns that shoot 9mm, among other things. However, only one that shoots .44, or .50 cal. So it’s not particularly odd that they might add a few guns who’s ammo will not fit any other guns. In fact, it’s perfectly logical. Not to exaggerate, but I think there are at least 4 or 5 guns that shoot 7.62 alone. So, by adding a gun that shoots a different kind of 7.62, or 9mm, that doesn’t fit other guns, I say go for it.

Yes, if you saw the stream you’ll know that there will at least be a new 3x39mm ammo, but my point is that it would be weird locking the weapon behind a DLC, and question still is will non DLC owners get ammo to a weapon they cannot use?

I have been reading the thread from the beginning, and, I’m thinking the ammo will only be added if you buy the DLC. I mean, besides the ability to recycle, what would the point of adding it be?

1 Like

It would make sense if the ammo required for DLC weapons only drops once you have the DLC installed, indeed.