[FEEDBACK] Soviet Weapon Pack DLC

Overall, for first impression - not impressed, rather “slightly below fulfilled expectations”. Tested on solo guerilla.
SVD, a.k.a “Kotenok Sniper Rifle”. Techically rapidfire sniper rifle, mechanically accurate assault rifle.

As rifle itself it performes decently - zeroed for 4-8x scope (with 1-4x I couldn’t hit for s’t), accurate, but with strong and consistent kick, allows for quite rapid fire when needed to. All this great potential wasted on relatively weak ammo base damage and there’s no component shredding bullets in game for this caliber, which would be saving grace for this rifle.
G3 is still superior chioce, since it has softer recoil, automatic fire mode and bigger base mag size - long range or not, with damage like this they won’t stay far for too long. Good as “poor man’s rifle”, if you get dry on ammo reserves. Overall it fills it’s “usual” niche in games of high-skill, mid-tier, weak, rapid fire rifle in between unforgiving bolt-actions, assault rifles and as a bridge to anti-materiel rifles on soft targets.
If you can and willing to hit mid-long range (in-game 100-200m) with low-DPS gun, then go for it.

AS VAL, a.k.a. AT WAD.
SMG with higher effective range thanks to high accuracy. “SMG” because of high rate of fire, that rivals with exp. M/45 (Kpist) overdrive and recoil that all over place. At least gun hits where it points within “SMG range”, so it makes less wasteful “peek-a-boo” game with tanks (SMG tend to have mediocre acuracy and loose it the longer trigger is hold). 20 base mag capacity ain’t helping it either - Val’s full mag = Kpist’s no mag. Got golden one from hunter that guarded booms sticks (quest), still consider to kick it in the bucket (IMO).

RPG-7 - comparing with “domestic” rocket launcher, this one is a good alternative with optic sights and fast reload, even with seemingly lower damage.

Personally, I havent tried them in combat. I won’t get the chance to play in a few days yet.

I don’t use the M/49, so I have no expectations for the RLG-7 either.

The AT-WAD is my biggest “hope” for this weapons pack. I think I will switch out my exp. Kpist, and use it as my backup weapon.

My wish for the Kotenok was that it would instead get a new, more powerful and more rare type of ammo, not the regular 7,62. I really wanted it to fill the gap between the Älgstudsare and the PVG 90 in the sniper/hunting rifle category…

Moved to #feedback-feature-requests.

Though I think it’s good feedback nonetheless.

Here’s my few cents;

The Kotenok is a DMR, a Designated Marksman’s Rifle. Though I don’t mind using it as a semi-auto rifle. I haven’t had any problems hitting with the 1-4x scope, in fact it’s my preferred scope if I had to use one for the weapon. I think the idea was to keep it to 7,62mm ammo to make it a more accessible gun without having yet another ammo type to look for.

Definitely a niche weapon. It’s a nice addition to the scoped weapons, nonetheless.
But add experimental ammo and it’s performance is boosted significantly.

AT-WAD; The weapon it’s based on is not an SMG, but an Assault Rifle since the 9x39mm cartridge is a rifle cartridge. It performs very much like it’s IRL counterpart, providing a high rate of fire, good damage and armor-piercing capabilities and an integrated silencer. It was designed as a special operations type of weapon, so it too is a bit niche depending on usage.

I did some tests and the RLG-7 seems to boast higher damage than the Granatgevär (taking out a FNIX Harvester on 4 direct hits to it’s armor on Adventure Mode), but with lower splash damage. It also can’t fire EMP or Smoke rounds, but it can attach a scope, that can even have a vision module.

The guns are decent imo, a good alternative to the existing loot pool, but not a must-have.
It’s simply if you want more variation.

1 Like

Is that a thing now? (no jokes or offence, me are stream skipper)

I noticed that (“poor man’s rifle”).

I know that well, feedback was written in quite a braindead state and feeling it’s in-game performance hence “SMG” in quote marks and explained why. I doesn’t feel like I’d use it as “assault rifle”. (fun fact - AK in soviet doctrine considered as SMG upgraded with cool ammo, successor to PPSh submachine gun after WWII, not as scaled down automatic rifle, like everywhere else)

Explosives for me are iffy enough themselves for me, so my impression comes that “more dogs survire splash”, and “around same quantity I had to put into that group of hunters”. I’ll try it again, when I get more grenades to shoot. Seems to be wish “better anti-armor damage” somewhat coming through.

Agree on that.

1 Like

Yarh, came with the Resistance Update. It certainly adds more flair to regular guns.

Ammo? AT-WAD chews through ammo.

2 new ammo types, no schematics, which means you need to find it. Where?

What region is good or bad for finding it. For example, I wouldn’t look for .50cal in the archipelago; 7.62, I would go to the trenches in the Farmland.

The ammo drops from Hunters, and you can find it in ammo boxes. I’d say, wherever you find lots of Hunters and high-tier loot, Himfjäll for example, or perhaps one of the northern regions, should do the trick.

Does anyone know if these guns can be farmed without buying the pack? I bought the US army pack its cool but wished I would of farmed em instead of them just popping up in storage. It takes away the excitement of finding new gear to me anyways

Since Soviet and U.S. weapons are a DLC weapons, you won’t find them in the game world at all, until you’ve bought the DLC.

DLC unlocks the said weapons. Meaning that it will:

• put 3* variants in your Plundra, with their unique 3* attachments
  • puts some new ammo (9x39mm and RPG rockets) in your Plundra (Soviet weapon DLC only)
  • unlocks their finding in the world, alongside their attachments and ammo
1 Like

Thanks alot for the feedback much appreciated!! I guess I’m gonna purchase them then! Now I’m wondering how these guys are gonna be experimental, bet it’s gonna be totally groovy!!

Well, I have not played with Soviet weapons, but since the RLG would be the counterpart of the RPG 7 in the game, it would be normal for its armor damage to be considerably higher, since this is an anti-armor rocket launcher, made especially for heavy tanks. Therefore it will break the armor of tanks and harvesters, but against a group of hunters it will not be the best idea.

Well, we already got experimental versions of all weapon types. But with the added exp. ammo, it can get real interesting :thinking:

Just a thing that came to mind.
Is it not so in GZ, that the game “reads” what kind of weapons you are carrying, and then adjusts the loot pool to “favor” your weapons for ammo drops?

If this is the case, a tip to those who are trying to farm 9x39 mm ammo, is to actually bring your AT-WAD along, not stash it for later when you have ammo. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Please correct me on this if I’m wrong.)

1 Like

No, you’re correct. The game will adjust ammo drops depending on the weapons in your inventory. So technically, to get the most out of drops, only carry the guns you want ammo for. Other ammo will still drop, but not as often.

3 Likes

It will drop along “usual” drop pool, but I’ve played some time guesting and no new 9x39 bullets.
I think it also depends if host also has this pack active, since in my lobby I find it everywhere (around same quantity as 9mm smg), if I have gun it the pocket.

I find it weird how much people are freaking out about not having schematics, like seriously that’s how I played it on PS4 from launch, up until the reaper update, even then I don’t like using them because it feels cheap

3 Likes

Here’s my feedback on Soviet weapons:

After finding some gooder stuff than I’ve issued initially (except for SVD, harvesting Apoc Harvesters 's pine in 'ss) and some more shooting stuff around I decided to revisit and update my “official” opinion on Soviet pack.

AT-WAD: in short - designated marksman submachine gun.
Designated marksman? It’s due to it’s accuracy-related stats - tightest crosshair among assault rifles, grouping as good as exp. AG4 with long barrel (consistent sparks as far as 200m).
Submachine gun? Extremely high rate of fire, slightly less powerful cartridge than 7.62 (5* G3 oneshots Guerilla prot. hound, while Val don’t on same build), absolute mess of a recoil. Well, real-life prototype wan’t intented for long ranges to begin with and slow heavy (“subsonic”, duh) bultets ain’t help either with it’s curve, so this gun is true to prototype. For those “if you like reloading much” there’s “burst” for a reason, but FTGJ mag size to rate of fire ratio is indeed it’s biggest drawback. Second subjective (IMO) drawback is only “reflex sight 2x” option for optics. If it could mount at least 1-4x, this gun would be hella fun to ride on. A great choice for marksmen, who often ends up in CQC and as backup gun for mid-long range.

Kotenok - I’ll say it again, “poor man’s rifle”. No, it is not bad, it just helps you to make sure that every cheap bullet went where you pointed. This rifle is true to marksman’s motto “Slow is smooth, smooth is fast” - accuracy stats is the best for this caliber and may rival with other “precision” guns, but thing is, that it has harsh kick for a recoil, accuracy regeneration feels a bit slower than sight realigns back and it “looses it’s sh*t” when you try to fire at fastest possible rate - you won’t hit Rusaberget, even if you stand at it’s foot and shoot at it’s SE hillside. Use rapid fire as “last chance”. Since it isn’t sekect fire, “Make 'em cound” buff is voided for this rifle as of this reply by member of DevTeam.

Though weak, it is ammo efficient. Taking down bigger baddies gonna take a while (low technical RoF in comparison with AR’s and damage among precision guns), but this gun may help you gather a lot more ammo. Hound one-shots as consistent as with G3, since damage is equalized through cartridge.
I have yet to get relevant ammo, but I feel like this rifle is a good platform for using experimental ammo.

RLG-7. A closer to proper anti-armor weapon. Comparing to base-game CarlG, it has better direct hit damage, faster reload, optic sight that allows to plug in optic modules, slightly better accuracy (hip-fire) stats. “Drawbacks” are, if you may, is it’s one and only type of ammo and relative rarity of munitions.

Worth it? I’d say yes, just needs a bit “filing” before use (as with everything Soviet) - I mean some practice to get used to their quirks.

To me this pack has one weapon to use, the others are just collectibles.

The Kotenok has an amazingly low damage per bullet. A .243 bullet has an energy of 2.640 J vs. a 7.62 has an energy of 2.150 J. That means the bullet in a Meusser has about 22% more energy. Neither the bar showing the damage nor the damage in game are close to that. In addition the recoil makes it a terrible “sniper”-rifle.

The AT-WAD seems fun at first but when you recognize that you reload the gun more then you shoot with it, the fun stops rapidly, faster then you run out of ammo for it.

The RLG-7 on the other hand is a real competitor for the Grg especially when you fight just one big machine. In addition it makes a lot of fun watching the reload and pointing that thing on a machine.

Unfortunately (but positively) the AT-WAD and RLG-7 have their own ammo which is great. But since there are no blueprints to collect you have to gather the ammo which is another detriment especially for the AT-WAD.

Including new ammo types where applicable is the right way to go. Now please do this for the AI-76 as well and introduce 7.62×39mm ammo.

But I have to say from a buyers perspective the gun DLCs have a terrible ROI. While the US weapon DLC was even more terrible (making all the guns useless in late game) with the Russian weapon DLC I at least have the RLG-7 to use now and then. When I purchase something I want more benefits then just collect something and put it away.

If there will be more weapon DLCs please make them more useful. I still want a real sniper rifle between Älgstudsare and Pvg, having attachable silencer and mag. While the MG and SMG variance is already at a high (although some weapons are pretty useless due to their ammo … 5.56 I’m looking at you) I think the sniper rifles could have a real addition.

It is a pity there so weak, there dropping like crazy at moment 5 crown !